• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
We have a dog and personally I don't believe dogs should be on the beach at all so I am all for banning dogs on the beach. But that won't keep them off because the beach is not patrolled like it should be and our county doesn't enforce rules or ordinances anyway. Walked by a large dog fight at waters edge last week and most people that go to the beach don't want to be in the middle of all that noise and confusion. It involved five unleashed dogs and one dog came walking through the pack. Why is it that a few just spoil it for everyone else but they seem to get away with their behavior? If you have ever been on our beach during 4th of July or Labor Day weekend, SoWal indeed IS Destin East and it gets more crowded every year!

Last edited:
There were lots of dogs on the beach when we were there for fall break. Besides my dog, I only saw one other dog on a leash. I was walking on the beach and saw a couple with 4 huge dogs that were not on a leash. They had to be owners -- what renter on vacation would bring 4 big dogs along? I also saw people I know to be owners with their dogs unleashed.

Our Pepper loves the beach. We just say "beach," and she runs to stand by her leash. Please everyone, leash your dogs at the beach so that those of us who use leashes don't lose this privilege.

BTW except for in the cold months, dogs are only allowed on the beach from 4 PM to 8 AM. I think this is a pretty conservative rule in that dogs with permits aren't allowed on the beach 24/7.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
After researching rules for dogs on the beaches in SOWAL, I created this (hopefully) simple list of rules based on the laws as I saw them on the Walton County website. If any are wrong, would appreciate comments, as I plan to give this to my next renters.

These laws need to be enforced for the health and safety of everyone (especially note the requirements for rabies vaccine) but if the county will not do it, at least I can tell my guests not to break the law.

BEACHES OF SOUTH WALTON RULES FOR DOGS

No dogs allowed on the beach without a permit (see below)

No dogs allowed on the beach running loose (off a leash)

No dogs allowed on the beach during these hours (even with a permit):

8 AM - 4 PM Central Daylight Time (Late Spring - Summer - Early Fall)
9 AM - 3 PM Central Standard Time (Late Fall – Winter - Early Spring)

PERMITS available only for FULL TIME residents, Walton County property owners or Walton County business owners with proof of rabies vaccination.

PENALTIES: $100 for no permit or dog not on leash. $50 for failure to clean up dog waste and dispose of properly. Violations can also result in impoundment of pet, plus mandatory court appearances in certain circumstances.

FOR FURTHER INFO:
Martha Ingle, Walton County Clerk of Court,
850.267.3066 or http://www.co.walton.fl.us/index.aspx?NID=743

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
I understand only Walton County residents are allowed to obtain a beach permit for their dogs? Is this correct?

Not exactly. You must either be a full time resident, a Walton Co. property owner, or a Walton Co. business owner with majority interest in the business. For property or business owners, no residency requirement.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Can I volunteer to issue citations? I think I might have just figured out how to fix our budget issues! The poo penalties alone ..........

Last edited: