• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
ShallowsNole said:
And if your dog happens to crap on the beach in front of a deputy, it's not real smart to just kick sand over it.

Several years ago, a lady who did just that said to the officer, "Well, I'm not about to pick it up in my HAND!" :roll:

The fine was pretty hefty... :rotfl:

:clap_1: Hefty fines and enforcement!

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Be aware that the State Park does not allow animals at all. Even a completely indoor animal in an RV---not allowed. They have had problems with pets (especially cats) that escaped. The owners would go home sans kittie, who then becomes feral. Dogs love the beach, but the reality is that unleashed animals and wildlife-protected areas are not a good mix. I wish the sheriff deputies were as good about patrolling our neighborhood areas other than the beach. A lady who lives across the lane from us allows her dogs to roam for their toilets and they have used the landscaped area next to our pool. That's really what I want to do on my rare trips to Grayton---admire the Gulf view before scooping up four months worth of her two dogs' poop. Any ideas about how this could be stopped? :dunno:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Donna said:
Be aware that the State Park does not allow animals at all. Even a completely indoor animal in an RV---not allowed. They have had problems with pets (especially cats) that escaped. The owners would go home sans kittie, who then becomes feral. Dogs love the beach, but the reality is that unleashed animals and wildlife-protected areas are not a good mix. I wish the sheriff deputies were as good about patrolling our neighborhood areas other than the beach. A lady who lives across the lane from us allows her dogs to roam for their toilets and they have used the landscaped area next to our pool. That's really what I want to do on my rare trips to Grayton---admire the Gulf view before scooping up four months worth of her two dogs' poop. Any ideas about how this could be stopped? :dunno:

Collect it all and deposit it in her yard.:lol:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Donna said:

Next time you see it happen, pay her a neighborly visit and explain that it's not acceptable behavior. You're very calm and diplomatic, Donna, so I'm sure you could handle that awkward situation well. BTW, this is a really common problem! The advice columns always have "inconsiderate neighbor" letters from people. You are not alone. :sosad:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Donna said:

Figure out when the dogs tend to be out without a leash, ask the sheriff to patrol the area at that time, explain your problem with this neighbor, and ask if they would enforce the fines if the dogs are noticed not to be on a leash. Once this woman gets a few fines (if they're really $500, that could add up). I figure she knows the rules and doesn't think they apply to her for some reason.

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
Paula said:
Figure out when the dogs tend to be out without a leash, ask the sheriff to patrol the area at that time, explain your problem with this neighbor, and ask if they would enforce the fines if the dogs are noticed not to be on a leash. Once this woman gets a few fines (if they're really $500, that could add up). I figure she knows the rules and doesn't think they apply to her for some reason.

That's a good idea, but I'd give the owner a chance to do something first. She/he may not know where her dogs are going and may not think that anybody has a problem with it. Some people just need to be made aware - could even be done through a letter.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think the Sheriff's Office is responsible for unleashed dogs on the streets and in the yards.

As suggested earlier, if the neighbor with the pooping problem dog does not listen to your words, and correct the behavior, I suggest going a step beyond collecting the poop and placing in her yard. (John's bacon grease sounds interesting.) I suggest collecting the poop and placing it at her front door and her back door too if she uses it.