• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
Doodle was one of the folks who helped make 30-A unique and special through his development work, charitable efforts, and simply by his living life to the fullest.

As we passed those beachfront lots that used to have those green & white "Harris Family & Guests" signs on them, I said a prayer today that Doodle has arrived at the best beach heaven can offer.

May God be with Doodle and sincere condolences to the Harris family.

Jim Radford
Fired Up Paint-Your-Own Pottery
Seaside, Florida

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Not forgotten

I did not know "Doodle" personally, but every time I saw his memorabilia displayed at local restaurants and the like I thought that he must be really interesting! Sorry that I never had the pleasure of talking to him about his impressive collection. I always heard he was "a pistol" as we say in the south. Sorry to see another of South Walton's old guard pass on.

sblnd

Beach Crab
Mar 28, 2007
Doodle Harris will truly be missed!!

Doodle was a very special man as he demostrated that by his may acts of kindness towards this community. The one thing that sticks on in my mind about Doodle was his strong love and commitment he had for his family and this community . He loved everyone !! He loved all of his children , siblings and especially his wife . I remember when his mother died several years ago his comment to me was that Family was the most important thing in this life. I agree with him!!

My prayers are with the family at this time, I am sure Doodle is watching over them at this very moment. That kind of love does not ever stop!!
God bless you all.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Thank you for your prayers at this difficult time. Your kind words mean so much to us. He died peacefully at Sacred Heart Hospital last night after battling Pulmonary Fibrosis for five years. His family was by his side. We are asking for donations to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation in his name. A memorial fund is being set up with the foundation and information can be found at www.pulmonaryfibrosis.org. All arrangements are being made through Emerald Coast Funeral Home. He would have loved to read these threads.

Doodle was a very special man as he demostrated that by his may acts of kindness towards this community. The one thing that sticks on in my mind about Doodle was his strong love and commitment he had for his family and this community . He loved everyone !! He loved all of his children , siblings and especially his wife . I remember when his mother died several years ago his comment to me was that Family was the most important thing in this life. I agree with him!!

My prayers are with the family at this time, I am sure Doodle is watching over them at this very moment. That kind of love does not ever stop!!
God bless you all.

:welcome: to both of you!!!

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
To Doodle:

WOW....I am sorry to see ya go! Keep those early days on the harbor close to your heart. I know we will.

Chief Deputy TC

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2005
His care for kids...

While serving on the Board of Directors for the DeFuniak Springs Little League we had an urgent need to repair damage that resulted from hurricane wind damage from Ivan. At the time, I had never met Doodle. I was introduced to him at a lunch meeting in Freeport. We spent most of the time talking about his family, college football, and his passion for positively changing the lives of youth and especially youth athletics. He shared his vision of a centrally located county recreation facility, and specifically the need for a swimming pool complex to allow our county high school students to participate in swimming. He found it silly that with 26 miles of coastline and all the other inland lakes, bay and rivers, that Walton kids did not have the opportunity to compete in swimming.

Near the end of lunch, he looked at the photos of the damage to our ballfields, and made a generous donation that covered all the repairs, and later negotiated a matching contribution by the County. He saved our season that year and was a contiunous supporter every year after.

and of course..he would not let me pay for the lunch.

From a die hard Alabama Crimson Tide Fan...for Doodle I am happy to type the words "WAR EAGLE" my friend....

Cory Godwin
Chief Deputy Tax Collector
Walton County

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
These are all great memories of Doodle Harris and they will do more for the grieving family than anything else. Let's keep the stories coming.:love:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I noticed a mourning spray on the Seacrest Beach lifeguard chair today. I am sorry I never met Doodle.

I second this. I have only heard of him through amazing stories of what he has done for this area. My family sends their love, prayers & condolences during this time.