• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wccop

Beach Comber
Jul 8, 2008
I was one of the deputy's that responded and yes we do take pulling a gun seriously. Thanks for the compliment. We still have an eye out for that truck..That is just not right!

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
I suspect he thought you were shooting him a bird. Not a friendly move. This is an unincorporated area, people can carry weapons if they want. Secondly, the county went to a lot of trouble building a "BIKE PATH" for the tourists that like to ride bikes. Most native Walton countians don't ride bikes, too many miles just to get anywhere. Most vehicles that drive on highways have to be street legal, ie, lights and the ability to drive the speed limit. Highway 30A is a narrow road without any shoulder, and riding a bicycle in the middle of the highway is dangerous, inconsiderate, and very irritating. When I see a cyclist in the middle of the road, I think, why did the county put in a bike path? What, do they think they own the road? They have to much leisure time on there hands! And when they don't move out of the way, they have just made a statement that they don't care about anyone else on the highway, or where the vehicles have to go. They are on vacation, and to heck with the rest of the world!

You are an idiot! have you ever tried to ride a road bike on the bike path? Judging by your misinformed post--definitely not. Have you ever read the state laws regarding bicycles--they have a definite right of way on the road? And, oh by the way, it's mostly locals riding their road bikes on the road--not tourists.

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just caught up with the thread... unbelieveable.

Whenever I am in town, I ride my road bike along 30A. Nothing like cruising past the dune lakes. Absolutely refreshing.

Given the non-existent shoulders, I've often wondered what it would take to encourage the local/state government to install bike lanes along both sides of the road. Is this an impossibility, or are there any organizations that would actively seek to make it happen?

Bike lanes would make drivers lives a little easier by dampening frustration of some, while promoting safer travel for cyclists.

Any thoughts?

Little Fish

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
You are an idiot! have you ever tried to ride a road bike on the bike path? Judging by your misinformed post--definitely not. Have you ever read the state laws regarding bicycles--they have a definite right of way on the road? And, oh by the way, it's mostly locals riding their road bikes on the road--not tourists.

I am not a moderator, but please remember not to use personal attacking words. IMO, you lose your argument quickly when those are your first words.

Is FLgirl an elitist? :dunno: If your name starts with a j and ends with a g, don't anwer this question. ;-)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I have been advocating a continuous 2-3' bike lane on both sides of 30-A, both as a solution to the road biking conflict and as a way to improve the condition of the road.

In many places, there is no shoulder and the road edge just crumbles away or is more likely to have dips.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I suspect he thought you were shooting him a bird. Not a friendly move.
No reason to pull a gun! :eek:

You know, there is one part of the information here that is not present. That of the driver of the truck. You don't know what was going on in his life at the time. I'm trying to give you understanding of the mindset of locals, but without actually having his statement creates a uncomplete discussion. Have you ever had trama in your life? He could have been facing some kind of distressing situation that was completely absorbing his thoughts, and you're hand gesture probably almost sent him over the edge. You're lucky he restrained himself when he did.
What was happening to him, in his life at the time, has NO BEARING on him pulling a gun on anyone!!!!! :eek:

My point exactly, words are more powerful than any other weapons! Not wanting to know the truth is the problem. May as well put a bag over your head!
Exactly what "truth" are you referring to? You speak in forked tongue as far as I can tell.
The person was found. The situation was and will be handled by authorities and the law. He showed no remorse for his actions which was disapointing.
Glad he was found and hope he is put into a nice warm jail cell where he will be housed and fed and funded by our taxes. :dunno:

Yet one more reason why SoWal.com is awesome.
" I read several posts from cyclists, whose points of view I would probably never had known otherwise, and learned their side. Taking a few extra moments to slow down and safely pass them is now just a regular part of driving on 30A... so simple to share the road, and what a pointless waste of energy to get all worked up over it."
Share the road. As someone said...it is good karma.

My principle concern is how quick judgments are made without having all the data. Have you ever been judged erroneously? I don't know the driver of the truck; therefore I can't in all good conscience make a judgment against him. The cyclist posted on the board, here to defend himself. I say, we live in a scary age; folks are judge, jury and executioner all in one, at a rumor of an alleged suspicion! :bang:
THERE IS NO EXCUSE, EVER, For pulling a GUN!!!! :shock: That part was pretty CLEAR!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I am not a moderator, but please remember not to use personal attacking words. IMO, you lose your argument quickly when those are your first words.

Is FLgirl an elitist? :dunno: If your name starts with a j and ends with a g, don't anwer this question. ;-)

You'd be a darn good one. And, you're right.

:wave: