• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The plan I read about not too long ago was for there to be lines drawn and kids would not have a choice where to go. Maybe that hasn't been implemented yet.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kathydwells said:
I just wanted to say this. I live in a very small community here in Alabama. My son goes to a school that is K-8 grade. He will be in 7th grade this year and started there in kindergarten. K-5 is in one part of the campus, then they have the junior high building. They all eat in the same cafeteria and use the same gym. There has never been a problem with the older kids interacting with the younger ones. Their schedules are so different. It has been a blessing for my son to attend K-7 with the same group of kids. They are all very close, like family. Anyway, I just thought I would let you know that it has not been a problem in my community with the junior high and elementary in the same location. Hope all works out for all of you!!!!
Nor was it in my small private school where we had K-12 grades in the same school. K was in its own building, grades 1- 6 in one building, with 7-12 in another, sharing the same gym, lunch room, etc., with separate playgrounds for grades 1-3, 4-6, and 7-12 have P.E.
It was like having a big family.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
kurt said:
The plan I read about not too long ago was for there to be lines drawn and kids would not have a choice where to go. Maybe that hasn't been implemented yet.

There are boundaries and busing is not provided if you choose to go out of your boundary. However, year there is busing for K-1 zoned for Bay who choose to go to Butler because there is already busing provided for the older (elementary) kids.

Next year the two schools will be totally separate. Families can choose to attend a school out of their zoning if there is room. However, all students living within the boundaries of a school will have first priority. The ability of students to go to a school out of their zoning is reevaluated yearly on a space available basis.

I have children who went to both Butler and Bay and feel that they are equal. At this time, Butler has better facilities and Bay has better (smaller) class sizes. I recommend, that since all other things are equal, that families go to the school that is closest to their home. This helps socially and makes it more convenient for play dates, etc. It is important for children to form friendships with children in their neighborhoods.

Last edited:

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
kurt said:
The only shared facilities are the gym and library. The middle school is a completely separate building with it's own entrance, drive, etc. They won't even be sharing the bus with the elementary school. Additionally, the middle school students will be in uniforms, so it will be very clear if one of these big bad eighth graders strays from the approved path.
Dr. Haro, the principal is a no-nonsense guy; I truly doubt that he will be at all tolerant of students not being where they belong.
For the parent concerned about whether to attend Butler or to transfer to Bay, I'm sure that you and your child will be happy and comfortable at Butler.

Last edited:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Also, keep in mind that if you choose to transfer from one school to another, the transfer is good only for the current school year. The transfers are reevaluated yearly. If there is no room for a child living out of the school boundaries, they will be sent back to the school they were originally zoned for.

Last edited:

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
Thanks for all of the excellent information.

We looked all over the U.S. for the best place to live. South Florida, North Carolina, California, Texas. A big part of that was trying to find a place where the public schools were well supported.

There is no doubt in my mind we found the exact perfect plot of land in the whole wide world, (for us). The fact that it was fairly close to Butler made it even better. We just want little princess to enjoy her school years as much as possible.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I went to a Catholic K-8 school in the 70s and 80s. One smallish building, but even then, the only time the older kids and the younger kids were ever really together were for assemblies and for mass.

Okaloosa County still has a couple of K-12 schools in the north part of the county. Parents there generally give them very good marks, and I've heard of parents who are zoned for Crestview area schools that send their kids to Baker instead because they prefer the smaller school and what they see as more of a family-like environment there.

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton

Calling all Volunteers!
The school needs volunteers on Monday, and probably through the week to help with many things like uniform sales, helping teachers unload their boxes, textbook organization, etc. etc.
Uniform (shirt) sales are Monday through Thursday, from 10 - 2 each day, and Tuesday from 5 - 7.
If you can - PM me to let me know that you can help and I'll try to have it a little organized.

Thanks -

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Hey Sunshine (or anyone who knows) -

Are they planning an orientation?
I know we have to go out there and purchase the uniform shirts prior to Friday, but we have questions about the bus schedules, athletics, etc...

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
ShallowsNole said:
Hey Sunshine (or anyone who knows) -

Are they planning an orientation?
I know we have to go out there and purchase the uniform shirts prior to Friday, but we have questions about the bus schedules, athletics, etc...

As far as I know (as a volunteer parent), because of the construction time frame, orientation will be after school starts. We're hoping that transportation gets the bus schedules to us so that we can hand them out with the shirts.

I was there yesterday and the school looks great! If you have any extra time this week come on over and lend a hand - there's still a lot of work to do to get it ready.