• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seaside gal

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2005
St.Louis
taterbaby said:
Hey Guys-My family and I are going to be in the area July 9-16. We are very eixcited about it but one of my downfalls is that I am a mojor planner!!!!!! I guess it is the school teacher in me-haheha Anyway, I have always found a board to check thing out in whatever area we are visiting-One of my favorites has always been about FOOD!!!! Where the best is-what restaurants are famous for what? Price ranges and so on..... Is there anyone else who frequents this board interested in this kind of information-I am new-maybe there is already something like that here and I don't know about it. Anyway-thanks for all the great information so far!!!
///all the food is good here. My best advice, go to destin, they have great sea food markets, buy shrimp and snow crab. or snow crab at yes, Wal 'mart, 5.99 lb., unbevABLE. gOOD sTUFF. mY FONT SUCKS! ANYWAY, STEAM AN D DIP IN REA BUTTR BEST SEAFOOD IN /SO WAL BEACHES BY FAR!

Beach Runner said:
Update on summary of reviews. I added some of my own comments based on multiple experiences.
Put me down for Blue Orleans for BREAKFAST (beignets; swamp stew) for sure. And lunch and dinner are good too. Here is what I said in another thread:

"you (all) MUST go to Blue Orleans for the now open at night and late night menus. I highly recommend the Scallops and Shrimp (over Creamy Grits on rosemary skewers, how do they DO that?). Gator and Butterbean are killing it with the food, atmosphere and music. It is a must stop for at least one night on any trip." :clap_1: :cool:

Moondance said:
Put me down for Blue Orleans for BREAKFAST (beignets; swamp stew) for sure. And lunch and dinner are good too. Here is what I said in another thread:

"you (all) MUST go to Blue Orleans for the now open at night and late night menus. I highly recommend the Scallops and Shrimp (over Creamy Grits on rosemary skewers, how do they DO that?). Gator and Butterbean are killing it with the food, atmosphere and music. It is a must stop for at least one night on any trip." :clap_1: :cool:
What are the prices like at dinner? Say, the average salad plus entree cost?

Beach Runner said:
What are the prices like at dinner? Say, the average salad plus entree cost?

It was someone else's treat but as I recall $16 - $20 per entree plus drinks. Coffee is strong and good. Salad?? "I don't know from dat..." (there must be a cajun substitute, likely involving grits :D).

Overall I'd say: the venue is small (cozy) and friendly, prices are medium to high, beer selection is good, no opinion on the bar, service is good, owners are outstanding (Gator cooks, makes beignets, entertains, and rips on the keyboards- sometimes in the same hour; Butterbean is the consummate restauranteur and talker).:cool:

The ladies room (I'm told) is fabulous and, in itself, is worth the visit! Go figger!! I think that's where SJ left the Dune Bra, actually. If he didn't he should have... :eek:

Moondance said:
It was someone else's treat but as I recall $16 - $20 per entree plus drinks.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, you're right about the salad not being a feature on a Cajun menu. Looking at a K-Paul's menu that I had framed, we started the meal with gumbo, rabbit tenderloin, or jambalaya. Never a salad. Obviously it has been a long time since I've lived in New Orleans.

sunny456

Beach Lover
Aug 25, 2005
Has anyone else eaten at Amore Pizzeria in Gulf Place? I ate there last week with my husband and was blown away by how great the pizza was!

Everything tasted fresh ? right down to the marinara sauce. Fresh herbs were used on the pizzas and the crusts were just the right thickness.
We had a great pepperoni pizza and then tried one that had honeydew melon and prosciutto on it ? don?t laugh it was our favorite!

They also serve panini sandwiches and salads and you can get Pabst Blue Ribbon beer by the bucket. No joke!

I heard the chef used to the chef at Smiling Fish Caf?.

When we were there they were saying that they were going to be open for lunch as well, so while you're in town you might want to check them out.

Happy eating!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
sunny456 said:
Has anyone else eaten at Amore Pizzeria in Gulf Place? I ate there last week with my husband and was blown away by how great the pizza was!

Everything tasted fresh ? right down to the marinara sauce. Fresh herbs were used on the pizzas and the crusts were just the right thickness.
We had a great pepperoni pizza and then tried one that had honeydew melon and prosciutto on it ? don?t laugh it was our favorite!

They also serve panini sandwiches and salads and you can get Pabst Blue Ribbon beer by the bucket. No joke!

I heard the chef used to the chef at Smiling Fish Caf?.

When we were there they were saying that they were going to be open for lunch as well, so while you're in town you might want to check them out.

Happy eating!

Is this the old Capo's? That was the WORST service in my life!!!!

sunny456

Beach Lover
Aug 25, 2005
Noooo.....

I was never a fan of Capo's.

This is a new place - it opened up right around the corner from Smiling Fish above the Abbott Realty. I think there used to be a fine dining restaurant in that location. You can't see it from 30A, but if you turn into Gulf Place you'll see a huge canopy and tables and chairs set up on the balcony.

The pizza kicked ass.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
sunny456 said:
Noooo.....

I was never a fan of Capo's.

This is a new place - it opened up right around the corner from Smiling Fish above the Abbott Realty. I think there used to be a fine dining restaurant in that location. You can't see it from 30A, but if you turn into Gulf Place you'll see a huge canopy and tables and chairs set up on the balcony.

The pizza kicked ass.

Oh...where Cafe Sublime used to be! I do miss their fried green tomatoes topped with lump crab!!! Thanks for the suggestion!

E

Excalibur

Best Food:

Tie

The Lake Place / Borago :cool:

Best Local Hangout (But I am a little partial.....) Snapperheads :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.