• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
A) where do you think the [current?] dry sand came from? Walmart? Ever heard of the "SUN"? Guarantee after few months new beach sand Pumped in from off shore would be bleached as white as it is now...That is until our one week tourist leave behind their trash...
Where do you think all the crushed shells and crud on the bottom of the Gulf in the sand miles offshore goes after it's pumped on shore? Read the engineering reports.

In Okaloosa County's previous beach project a judge said the off shore sand from a closer sand source was NOT compatible with the existing beach sand in color or debris content. Walton judge also ruled Walton beach fortification sand source was NOT compatible with the native sand.

I do and will pickup my own trash, but I shouldn't have to with respectful tourist under customary use. Don't need the TDC driving their vehicles over our property several times a day leaving the beautiful tire tracks and ruts. Commissioners and TDC - keep off private property without written owner permission first. Use the public foreshore sand or 30A and Scenic Hwy public access points.

Last edited by a moderator:

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
As big a problem as dredging may be, it's abetter option than 1,000 seawalls, geaotubes, and walkovers in a billion pieces ... and destroyed homes as your seashore after the next big one.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
FloridaBeachBum, you don't want tire tracks at all?? No lifeguard ATVs or turtle watch people can cross your property? Have you figured out how to keep the turtles from nesting? Come on, dude.
Did you read the post? Did I write anything other than TDC vehicles? Why do you put words in my posts that aren't there? Come on, Dudett.
So you are OK with tire tracks and ruts on the beach? Wonder why the TDC does not use photos with all the tire ruts on on their web site? Can the TDC drive across your property multiple times a day and leave ruts on your property without your permission? My property have the same rights as yours. What does the law say? Or is that customary use too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
New Florida law reignites beach access fight in Panhandle

Along a stretch of white, sandy shoreline in Florida’s Panhandle, a simple question has led to profanity-laden arguments, private security guards and calls to law enforcement: Who owns the beach?

In one coastal county, a new state law is set to rekindle that uproar just in time for the July 4th holiday.

As of July 1, Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson said his deputies will have to start arresting people who put their beach blankets down in front of private homes and refuse to leave.

“We will start enforcing private property rights, which is up to including removing people from the beach,” Adkinson said. “We are required by law to treat the beach as if it’s somebody’s front yard.”

To county residents like Dave Rauschkolb, a surfer and restaurant owner, that’s just wrong.

“Beach access should be sacrosanct for all. The notion of a private beach is an oxymoron,” he said. “After this goes into effect, people can be physically removed from specific beaches, like bouncers at a bar, and to me that’s despicable.”

Last edited:

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
FloridaBeachBum, I have only ever seen the TDC vehicles being driven slowly and with the utmost care. No, I *don't* mind the tire tracks. I honestly just think we should all be better beach visitors and that you might think hard about things you learned in kindergarten, specifically about sharing. If you want to kick everyone out of your sandbox, knock yourself out. I still fail to see how me sitting in a beach chair with a paperback and a diet Coke is considered trespassing. So there you have it.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
FloridaBeachBum, I have only ever seen the TDC vehicles being driven slowly and with the utmost care. No, I *don't* mind the tire tracks [on your property]. I honestly just think we should all be better beach visitors and that you might think hard about things you learned in kindergarten, specifically about sharing. If you want to kick everyone out of your sandbox, knock yourself out. I still fail to see how me sitting in a beach chair with a paperback and a diet Coke is considered trespassing. So there you have it.
Did you read my previous post?
"I had not asked any respectful uninvited person to leave our private property before commissioner declared customary use - without due process. But I have always had and will have that right to un-invite them if I so wish and the Sheriff would/will have to enforced that right to the deeded MHWL.

But if Commissioners think they can try to expand a very limited, and previously obscure, doctrine of custom to tell me I have NO right to my private enjoyment of my deeded property that I pay Walton taxes on to the MHWL; dang straight I’m going to fight and assert my rights to the fullest extent of the law. You can thank the Commissioners for that...."

"I have only ever seen the TDC vehicles being driven slowly and with the utmost care." You obviously do not live on the beach. Regardless I have not given permission for the TDC to drive on my property. The TDC can drive on their property; below the MHWL, or on the roads and use the public access points. That's the law.
"No, I *don't* mind the tire tracks [on your property]." You wouldn't mind tire tracks on your yard and property? We have the same property rights.
Did you learn in kindergarten you did not have to follow the rules/laws? Or taking what is not yours without permission is not nice?
Sharing means it is your right and choice to share. Not to be told you have to share your belongings by the principle (local government) or other children.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
How about we enforce a "no loitering" law? Limit beach time in one spot to a few hours. I don't think people would bring elaborate setups or tents.

I don't like tire tracks either but if people are on the beach there is going to be trash. Make people haul their trash out? Have trash cans only on pavement?

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
How about we enforce a "no loitering" law? Limit beach time in one spot to a few hours. I don't think people would bring elaborate setups or tents.
I don't like tire tracks either but if people are on the beach there is going to be trash. Make people haul their trash out? Have trash cans only on pavement?
If the public can not be respectful enough to private, or public, property and not clean up after themselves they can not have permission to "loiter" on my property. You can not relieve yourself on my property either. Or contribute to the Poor water quality off the beach. One bad apple spoils the bunch.

If the TDC has trash bags at public property beach or private property, with permission of the property owner, they can drive on public property below the MHWL or on the public road to the public beach access point to get the bags on the beach or get permission of the upland property owner to cross private property to collect the bags. Walton TDC does not have permission to be on my property. That's the law.