• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Henry Apfelbach

Beach Lover
May 14, 2011
Bob, the only public meeting that has occurred since the reorganization, was the last commissioners meeting. At that meeting the question was answered with the only answer that they could give which had to do with pending legal advice. I believe this was addressed in the local news out this last weekend. I will say it sounds like you have heard a more informative answer than anyone else in the public. If you have insight let me know. You know we might not always agree what is the best course you have to realize that we only want what’s best for the community.
As we were discussing the pension plan at the last meeting I was informed that they project that everyone in the pension is going to live to be 109yrs old. I’m not a money person but it seems that if none of us live that long that would change the unfunded liability.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Bob, the only public meeting that has occurred since the reorganization, was the last commissioners meeting. At that meeting the question was answered with the only answer that they could give which had to do with pending legal advice. I believe this was addressed in the local news out this last weekend. I will say it sounds like you have heard a more informative answer than anyone else in the public. If you have insight let me know. You know we might not always agree what is the best course you have to realize that we only want what’s best for the community.
As we were discussing the pension plan at the last meeting I was informed that they project that everyone in the pension is going to live to be 109yrs old. I’m not a money person but it seems that if none of us live that long that would change the unfunded liability.

I find that surprising, these projections are usually based on life expectancy standards. Have any of these actuarial studies on the pension fund been made public?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Quote from original post : "In a spirit of transparency I ask that you post a summary or the actual proposal here for all to read just as FF2 posted the proposal presented by your team previously"

FF2 originally posted a press release on the FF's proposal to the SWFD Board here on Sowal. Hence this discussion.

Guess I missed the Sun article - did it detail the SWFD Boards proposal to the FF Union? If not would you share that and your thoughts on that proposal.

I believe that everyones involved in this issue has the publics best interest at heart.

Negotiations in matters like this normally are resolved somewhere between the two proposals. If I understood correctly the SWFD's proposal solved the budget shortfall without reducing the level of service. Some use of reserves, budget cuts for operational expenses and a millage rate increase of about.08 mills.

They did not pass out copies to the GP and I may be wrong. They handed you a copy - please post it.

Last edited:

Henry Apfelbach

Beach Lover
May 14, 2011
Bob, I'm not sure what I can and can't legaly post. If it is a public record you can easily get a copy probably via E-mail. Your assesment is pretty much spot on though with the numbers. If you want to know what I think you'll have to wait for me to get direction from my bosses (members). I have my personal thoughts but they are just mine. It was said in the last meeting and I think that it holds true, we are not that far apart on numbers.

30a, I wish I could explain how they came up with the fact that we are all going to live to be 109. I was told the only person who knows when your going to die was the actuary. I asked this question to a member of the retirement board and I was told they use a chart. My point in mentioning this was that we spend a lot of time worried aobut these unfunded liabilites but, it just appears to me that these numbers are too easily manipulated. I say that also knowing that the national average life span of a retired firefighter is about 9 years. That number is also changed by many things. Someone asked me why the low lifespan and all I can say is I don't know, but if I did I'd probably be rich.

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
For the time I was on the board the actuary never mentioned their projections were based on participants living to 109. Unless the discussion happened after I resigned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diane

Beach Comber
May 11, 2009
My name is Diane Brown. I was at the May SWFD Board of Fire Commissioners meeting and asked the question that Henry is referring to. The only answer that I am aware of is the one that was given to me when I was laid off on April 11, 2011 and that was that my job description had been reviewed and my position as Executive Assistant (for 12 years) could not be justified. There was no mention of restructuring to me or to the former Deputy Chief (21 years of service) as to why it was the two of us. To review my question at the Board meeting, please see the recent article in the DeFuniak Herald, titled, "SWFD Rank and File Upset Over Recent Layoffs". It may give you some insight into cost saving measures that have not taken place, but were discussed with staff and others.

I hope that has cleared that question up, but if not, feel free to ask!

Have a nice day!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I just read the article last night and was going to ask if there was ever an explanation given why those recommendations were not the options used.

Some of them seemed to be very practical, easy, and much better than laying off long serving personnel, though I don't know all the details.

Thought the points about morale/Sean being a very visible community figure were spot on.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Diane

IMO a restructuring would mean a review of current position descriptions in light of a goal to streamline an operation might be stated by someone in exactly the same manner in which you described Diane. The goal seems to have been to discover if the current positions could be either reduced or eliminated during the drive to contain, control or reduce costs.

Please bear in mind that I personally would not have stated the reasons given in that manner ( assuming the statement is an actual quote) but I believe it conveys the actual intent. You must remember that my statements of reasons are based on my recollection of what I heard as well. Layoffs are never pleasant for either party.

Bob

Last edited: