• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I am thankful that Mom can start rehab because her hip is healing well. So her prognosis is better than I expected.

The bad news is that because of her AD, she will never go home again -- we will have to find a nursing home for her for the rest of her life (because finding private 24/7 care is just impractical to manage if those managing it have jobs that would be in jeopardy if a caregiver gets ill, not to mention the cost of 24/7 care which most people charge more than minimum wage for), find a realtor to sell her house, and organize an estate sale to sell most of her possessions.

:cry: Alzheimer's stinks. Mom is otherwise healthy. I have learned a lot --Alzheimer's is more than memory loss -- it makes a person dysfunctional -- they lose their cognitive skills - can't folllow instructions -- can't concentrate enough to even watch TV or read -- can't even carry on a conversation -- they don't care about their family's problems, but more disturbing is that they are oblivious to their own bleak situation. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

In one of Mom's more lucid moments at Dr. Hart's office a few months ago(Steele Mama, do you know him -- internal medicine at Papp Clinic at Thomas Crossroads?) , she asked him, "When I get to the point where I have to go into a nursing home, will I know it?" He smiled and kindly said, "Thankfully, not." I had no idea that would be the case. But that is the case now.:sosad:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
I am thankful that Mom can start rehab because her hip is healing well. So her prognosis is better than I expected.

The bad news is that because of her AD, she will never go home again -- we will have to find a nursing home for her for the rest of her life (because finding private 24/7 care is just impractical to manage if those managing it have jobs that would be in jeopardy if a caregiver gets ill, not to mention the cost of 24/7 care which most people charge more than minimum wage for), find a realtor to sell her house, and organize an estate sale to sell most of her possessions.

:cry: Alzheimer's stinks. Mom is otherwise healthy. I have learned a lot --Alzheimer's is more than memory loss -- it makes a person dysfunctional -- they lose their cognitive skills - can't folllow instructions -- can't concentrate enough to even watch TV or read -- can't even carry on a conversation -- they don't care about their family's problems, but more disturbing is that they are oblivious to their own bleak situation. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

In one of Mom's more lucid moments at Dr. Hart's office a few months ago(Steele Mama, do you know him -- internal medicine at Papp Clinic at Thomas Crossroads?) , she asked him, "When I get to the point where I have to go into a nursing home, will I know it?" He smiled and kindly said, "Thankfully, not." I had no idea that would be the case. But that is the case now.:sosad:

Sorry to hear about your mom BR, but good to hear her hip is healing. AD is such a heartbreaking disease, especially for the family. I did hear a sweet story this morning on the Today show about former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and her husband. He's had Alzheimers Disease for the last 16 years, with Sandra taking on the role of his caregiver. She even used to take him to work with her so she could watch over him. She retired so that she could devote more time to him until it got to a point where she could no longer care for him in their home. He was moved to a nursing facility. According to their son, Mr. O'Connor became increasingly more depressed in the nursing home until suddenly all that changed. He became happier and seemed to actually enjoy his new environment. Turns out he had "fallen in love" with another resident of the nursing facility, a lovely lady who also had AD. Apparantly Justice O'Connor is understanding and just wants her husband to live out his years happy and peacefully. Their son described his mother's visits to the nursing facility, sitting across from her husband and the "other woman" holding hands and sharing loving looks with each other. Justice O'Connor is apparently accepting of the fact that this man who she married 55 years ago is innocent and unaware of what is happening to him. She still regularly visits her husband and will continue to do so until the end. Such a heartwarming story.

Best of luck to you and to your mother. Hopefully her transition will be an easy one.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Great post luvthebeach!! I work with Alzheimer's patients every day. BR, please just know that this is so much harder on you than her. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
BR,

Ms seaside's mom suffered from AD for about 9 years before she went home to be with our Lord and Savior. We were fortunate enough to find a great AD home for her. One of the things that we had a terrible time was finding a place that truly understands AD and knows how to work with the "clients" as they called them. They know how to divert them when they get combative (and they will), what to do when they strip of their clothes and run areound naked, that they will eventually have to be hand fed like a baby. They kept her clean when she was incontinent, kept her fed, clothed and treated her like a queen. The place was a God sent blessing. We fought it at home for several years. It was hell!!!

The good news (If there is any), the AD sufferer gets to the point that they are obilivious to all the symptoms that they have and are completely within themselves. It hurts us, but they are so childlike that they ae happy and at peace. Our only advice to someone is don't prolong the inevitable. Feeding tubes, etc. are not in their best interest.

We are thankful for that place and all that was done for her.

I am also thankful that I know she is with Him.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I'm thankful for having an Italian Thanksgiving with family every year since I was born. First the chicken liver crostini and appetizers, then the ravioli or lasagna (it has been lasagna lately), then the turkey and stuff that goes with turkey (everyone is too full by then), then the desserts/cheese/fruit/espresso, then the Christmas carols (Italian and America Christmas carols), then the sing-a-long with the Chipmunk song and Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song (clearly, we've had plenty of wine by then). The people at the table have changed over the years with old ones passing on and new ones joining us, but the spirit of our Italian-American Thanksgiving has stayed the same and the older generations are with us in our hearts if not in person any more. This year, we're thankful to cousin Pina who is having us over to her house at Thanksgiving.:clap:

And, of course, I'm thankful for my family, friends, and SoWal "peeps" as SJ said.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Thankful for time with my family. :love:With both girls living away from here and hubby traveling most of the week, time together is all I need and want. Lots of laughter will be nice.

Also grateful for a few days off work to recharge...December in a classroom with 8 year olds is exciting!!!!:yikes::D