• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
jdarg said:
Oh c'mon- nobody wants a White Castle? Their buildings are SOOo beautiful! And really white! And they would look great at Alys Beach!

White Castle is of course called 'Krystal' down here, same sort of oddly textured foodstuffs but with that good ole southern greasy-finger feel. I vote instead for Steak and Shake ('snake and s_h_a_k_e' - we've called them that for a long time - it's a 'metal gear solid' reference - if that means nothing to you then just ignore it - I guess you had to be there) - there just aren't any down here - the closest is Decatur Alabama, five miles west off I-65 and they are doing a huge business.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I am reading many of your comments and notice that most of you address 30-A as the place you do not want to see the franchises/chains. What about SoWal in general from PCB to the Publix at Sandestin?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
No chains on 98 that would serve as a destination from people outside of SoWal. Something like a Cabela's would utterly wreck the place.

But if it was a business that would have people in the immediate area as customers, and it would reduce the number of vehicle-miles on the road because people were no longer making frequent trips to Destin or Panama City, then there might be an appropriate place on 98 for it. I'm thinking something like an Office Max that would keep all the local realtors and title companies in binder clips.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
beachmouse said:
No chains on 98 that would serve as a destination from people outside of SoWal. Something like a Cabela's would utterly wreck the place.

But if it was a business that would have people in the immediate area as customers, and it would reduce the number of vehicle-miles on the road because people were no longer making frequent trips to Destin or Panama City, then there might be an appropriate place on 98 for it. I'm thinking something like an Office Max that would keep all the local realtors and title companies in binder clips.

I dream of a world in which people do not get in their car for items like those.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
There are already places in SoWal that lend themselves to selling office supplies, such as the little strip mall that has the internet place, the place where you can mail stuff from and make copies, etc. I use both those places (wish I could remember their names) and they're quite convenient and low key). They could add services right there without needing something bigger on or off 30A.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
While I do not reside in SoWal, I love the fact that it is untouched by all the chains. You can go 15 miles either way and get your fill of generic places. It is good to be different and unique.