• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
Chondra Flex Dog Chews

My dalmatian started slowing down (just a little) and her knees began creaking around 10 or 11 years old. Dr. Kempa of Best Friends Vetinary in Freeport suggested Chondro-Flex DS. The great thing about these are that they are soft chew treats and all dogs seem to love them. We found it much more convenient than trying to get them to eat pills every day. As far as results, I don't hear her knees creak anymore and soon after we started using them she was running around like a puppy again! She's 13 now, still loving life and I truly believe it is because of her yummy medicine! Below is a link to the product. We purchase a tub half this size (120 chews) for about $35 from Dr. Kempa. For 70ish pounds, we give 2 per day so a tub lasts 2 months. I highly recommend this product!!

Vitality Vet for Dogs & Cats - Chondro Flex DS (240 Chews)

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I was thinking that glucosamine came from sources like red meat and bones, and since I could use a little joint lubrication myself, I just googled these. I found an interesting quick read at Sources of Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Here is an exert: "Don't be fooled by the price or size of the pills because what counts is quality not quantity. Be an informed consumer and research the brand of chondroitin or glucosamine your interested in. This quick research can make a world of a difference in terms of decreasing your joint pain and discomfort."

By the way, in the two articles I read, there is conflicting information, so be sure to read several sources to see if you can get the real scoop.

From Glucosamine/Chondroitin: Introduction :
"There are no food sources of glucosamine. The only natural sources are in your body and in chitin (the exoskeleton of shellfish -- crab, lobster, shrimp, and so on)."

This could be important (if true) if you are allergic to shellfish and the glucosamine label says it comes from natural sources.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
My dalmatian started slowing down (just a little) and her knees began creaking around 10 or 11 years old. Dr. Kempa of Best Friends Vetinary in Freeport suggested Chondro-Flex DS. The great thing about these are that they are soft chew treats and all dogs seem to love them. We found it much more convenient than trying to get them to eat pills every day. As far as results, I don't hear her knees creak anymore and soon after we started using them she was running around like a puppy again! She's 13 now, still loving life and I truly believe it is because of her yummy medicine! Below is a link to the product. We purchase a tub half this size (120 chews) for about $35 from Dr. Kempa. For 70ish pounds, we give 2 per day so a tub lasts 2 months. I highly recommend this product!!

Vitality Vet for Dogs & Cats - Chondro Flex DS (240 Chews)

Thank you! I have a lot of research to do!

I was thinking that glucosamine came from sources like red meat and bones, and since I could use a little joint lubrication myself, I just googled these. I found an interesting quick read at Sources of Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Here is an exert: "Don't be fooled by the price or size of the pills because what counts is quality not quantity. Be an informed consumer and research the brand of chondroitin or glucosamine your interested in. This quick research can make a world of a difference in terms of decreasing your joint pain and discomfort."

By the way, in the two articles I read, there is conflicting information, so be sure to read several sources to see if you can get the real scoop.

From Glucosamine/Chondroitin: Introduction :
"There are no food sources of glucosamine. The only natural sources are in your body and in chitin (the exoskeleton of shellfish -- crab, lobster, shrimp, and so on)."

This could be important (if true) if you are allergic to shellfish and the glucosamine label says it comes from natural sources.

Sweet Pea loves digging around in the trash for shrimp and lobster shells; this might be the ticket! :D

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I have been called a dog numerous times(ha-ha) and I take the Move Freely pills. they seem to work for me. Due to the extensive amount of weight lifting, the knees and elbows get sore but these pills help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
My girl, Bella, takes a half a Dermaxx a day, and WOW what a difference!

Deramaxx is a NSAID, not a joint supplement. It is awesome for joint pain and doesn't have as many bad side effects of other pain relievers. Our old blue heeler was on it for the last 3 years of his life, and would not have been able to get up without it. He was beyond the help of gluc/chondroitin therapy, and just needed good pain relief.