Golf cart accident in Seagrove

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by debesquire, Jul 7, 2019.

1. debesquire

debesquire Beach Lover

Does anyone know the status of the children involved in the golf cart accident (tip-over) that occurred in Seagrove about two hours ago? We witnessed the accident and can’t get it out of our minds. Praying those children were not badly hurt.

2. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

I've noticed that accidents like this seem to get little to no media attention. You might see something on social media but if not hard to know what happened.

3. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

Did fire or EMS personnel respond to the accident? If so will be glad to check with them to try to find out what happened.

4. debesquire

debesquire Beach Lover

Yes. We called 911 immediately and as we were talking to the 911 operator she said others on the scene were calling and responders were being dispatched. Shortly after we saw a couple of ambulances-fire dept EMT vehicles headed that way. We would appreciate any info you might obtain about the well-being of the children. Private message if you wish.

5. miznotebook

Will try to find out. I know it is difficult to get information from hospitals when people are sent there because of privacy laws, but will give it a try.

6. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

Publicizing any mishap on 30A involving a golf cart would be bad for business. It's time for county officials to take a firm stance on these public nuisances. Enforcing the laws would be a good start.

7. outofadream

outofadream Beach Lover

The Golf Cart situation on 30A is ridiculous. Why more tragic accidents aren’t taking place is a miracle… multiple people are being loaded onto these carts and being driven recklessly during the day and at night. There is NO ENFORCEMENT WHATSOEVER. If I drove my car the way some of these people drive these golf carts I’d be ticketed or arrested for a DUI… Underage kids are out joy riding or are driving them because “the adults” are hammered..nobody’s buckled in and little kids are hanging over the sides. These people don’t realize what happens when skin hits the pavement going 10 or 15 mph..it’s going to take a real tragedy for anything to change as usual along 30A.

8. 30A Skunkape

I can't agree that there is zero enforcement as I witnessed a deputy stop a speeding cart on the bike path near Williams Street last month. That said, I have seen many more deputies turn a blind eye to the things cruising on the bike path (not being driven recklessly). IMHO the real blame lies with the apparent unwillingness of the BCC to limit the number of purveyors renting these things (along with the beach chairs, bonfires, monster houses etc, etc).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
    • List
  9. 30A Skunkape

I'm not sure if it was the same incident or another one, but same day I guess about 1-2 PM I heard sirens coming from 395 turning east on 30A in Seagrove stopping near what I would have guessed was Bramble Grove area. So many sirens I would think it would be like what it would sound like if a sniper was on top of One Seagrove Place shooting at people.:dunno:

10. justhavinfun

justhavinfun Beach Fanatic

And lets bring electric scooters into the 30A area ! :banging:

11. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

There are signs clearly posted on the bike path that golf carts are not allowed. People will continue to break the rules if there are no consequences.

12. miznotebook

I'm guessing it would have been about 10:30 a.m. based on the original post. No snipers, I hope! Someone with the fire district offered to check for me, awaiting info.

13. Pura.Vida

Pura.Vida Beach Comber

Beach like a local. Ride a bike!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  14. miznotebook

Info from the fire district very limited, three minors in a golf cart-type vehicle that tipped over between 10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. on July 7 in Seagrove. The minors were transported to the hospital, it did not appear that there were any life-threatening injuries. No word on whether there was an adult in the vehicle or not or who was driving. That was all the info that could be released. Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. 30A Skunkape

I hope that Ed Walborsky has been retained to sue the existence out of the rental company for peddling such an unsafe product.:rolling:

16. blindrid

blindrid Beach Comber

unsafe product ??.

17. outofadream

outofadream Beach Lover

The product isn’t unsafe but the people who drive and joy ride on these things create a Tragedy ready to happen

18. bob bob

bob bob Beach Fanatic

lol - your joke brought a couple of vendors from under their rock.

19. miznotebook

Got some more info from FHP, there were six people in the golf cart, a rental that had three rows of seats. There was one adult and the rest were 14 and under. The driver was 14, which turns out is the legal age to drive a golf cart in Florida. She tried to turn off 30A onto a private driveway and was apparently going too fast to do so, which caused the golf cart to tip over. The driver and passengers were wearing lap seat belts which kept them from being thrown out of the vehicle.

20. bob1

bob1 Beach Comber

Thank you for the info. So we put lights on golf carts to make them "Street legal" yet no license required and 14 OK.... Makes no sense.