Golf cart accident in Seagrove

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by debesquire, Jul 7, 2019.

1. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Yea... that doesnt seem right to me. Lights and a tag make it a LSV (low speed vehicle) but most people still call it a "golf cart". Wonder which one it really was? I would think a "tag" and "street legal" means they have to have insurance and a license.

2. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

"Regular golf carts can be driven by anyone over the age of 14 on a public road where the posted speed limit is under 25 mph. Remember, if you’re 14 and driving a golf cart on the road you are required to know the laws of driving. So read up!

The minute that golf cart exceeds speeds of 20 mph, it becomes an LSV and is subject to a totally different set of rules. LSV’s require a regular operator license to drive and need to be registered at your local DMV with a tag and by Florida law must be insured like a regular vehicle."

Still wondering which one it was....

3. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

I'm sure the next step for 30a is to make it all 25mph.

4. bob1

bob1 Beach Lover

Mostly is and assume it all will be.

5. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

The agencies responding to this incident described the vehicle as a golf cart.
    Looked up the definitions and rules for golf carts and LSVs in Florida Statutes. The definition for low-speed vehicle according to FS 320.01, is as follows:

(41)“Low-speed vehicle” means any four-wheeled vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but not greater than 25 miles per hour, including, but not limited to, neighborhood electric vehicles. Low-speed vehicles must comply with the safety standards in 49 C.F.R. s. 571.500 and s. 316.2122.

According to 316.2122:
    Operation of a low-speed vehicle or mini truck on certain roadways.—The operation of a low-speed vehicle as defined in s. 320.01 or a mini truck as defined in s. 320.01 on any road is authorized with the following restrictions:
     (1)A low-speed vehicle or mini truck may be operated only on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle or mini truck from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
     (2)A low-speed vehicle must be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, taillamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, seat belts, and vehicle identification numbers.
     (3)A low-speed vehicle or mini truck must be registered and insured in accordance with s. 320.02 and titled pursuant to chapter 319.
     (4)Any person operating a low-speed vehicle or mini truck must have in his or her possession a valid driver license.
     (5)A county or municipality may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if the governing body of the county or municipality determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
     (6)The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if it determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.

F.S. 320.01 defines "golf cart" as follows:
     (22)“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.

Rules for golf carts in Florida Statutes are longer, but here is a link:
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

6. Emerald Drifter

Emerald Drifter Beach Fanatic

Just to prove that stupidty knows no bounds, and is everywhere, here we have a moron riding a scooter in Dallas rush hour traffic.

7. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

As I said in the E scooters thread..... Dallas was the worst with those things. But from what I have heard in the last few weeks, in ATL..they have become deadly..

8. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Hence the reason 3/4 years ago speed limit on 30A changed to 25 MPH county CYA and keeping Mafia rental companies happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Will B

Will B Moderator

Two killed so far...
    one ran out in front of a bus...

10. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

A young man was killed Thursday in Panama City as a result of a golf cart accident.

11. Dom

Dom Beach Crab

I think my daughter is one of the children you were talking about. She was vacationing with friends when the driver lost control causing it to flip as it crossed 30A. Thankfully everyone was fine after getting checked out at the hospital. My daughter said that they landed in a nurse's driveway and a very strong man helped flip the cart upright. Thank goodness for their good fortune. I cannot imagine having a different ending to report.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. debesquire

debesquire Beach Lover

Thank-you SO much for that information! I posted the original inquiry. My husband and I saw other (much younger than we are) adults who were on foot nearby approaching to help so we did not stop but we immediately called 911. We were both literally in tears over what we knew could be very serious injuries (or worse) to the children. They have been in our thoughts and prayers. Thank God they escaped unharmed.

13. gumby

gumby Beach Lover

Soooo glad I don`t live on 30A. Can`t imagine having to deal with this mess day in and day out.