• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
How do you go about the process of petitioning the county to ban these destructive impediments on 30a?

I would start by writing my county commissioner and asking about the process. I've seen proposed ordinances that seemed to pop up just based on random comments by one person or another. It can't be too hard to get one considered. This is a fairly consistent topic of conversation on this board, I'm sure you could get quite a few local signatures on a petition without a whole lot of effort.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I understand that Rosemary is going to look into banning them in their community next owners meeting.

Good for Rosemary Beach.

From the greater good standpoint they make no sense on a scenic county highway, regardless of the speed limit. You all have had several years seeing them propogate, enough so it's obvious what the trend is and what the logical end result is going to be.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Rosemary Beach has no room for them and neither do the other communities when it comes down to it. It's not like they are replacing cars they're just adding to traffic.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
In case you missed it, the BCC will be voting to lower speed limits along the entirety of 30A tonight. It's under the Public Works tab.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
In case you missed it, the BCC will be voting to lower speed limits along the entirety of 30A tonight. It's under the Public Works tab.

So once again we suffer for the convenience of the tourons? When is the BCC going to do something to address the problems - oh I forgot unless it puts heads in beds they will do nothing - North Walton rules in favor of more tax monies...again.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It isn't law yet, it's an agenda item that requires a vote. You can call or email your commissioners now or speak at the meeting.

Suzanne

Beach Lover
Dec 28, 2006
Seagrove
I am an avid follower of the forum but rarely chime in. I have been reading the posts on the LSV, golf cart issue and I would like to post my 2 cents. we all know the old phrase you can't fix stupid, and although I don't like using that term unfortunately it is what it is. whether it be folks on golf carts, bikes, cars, or even walkers it amazes me how clueless people can be. many of the comments about how people operate these carts is true I have seen it first hand, and I must agree that most all of the incidences I see have RENTAL on the carts. Now, I am a street legal golf cart owner as well, I like to think I don't fall under the stupid category. We limit the driving geography from 723 Whiskey Bravo to Watercolor and no further. We obey all traffic signs, give right of way to bikes and pedestrians, park where we are supposed to park use turn signals, buckle our seat belts and never ride on the bike path. Most times we do take the back roads, but we do on occasion use 30-A. the speed limit is 25mph. If we are in our car we do not exceed that.
We are residents of Seagrove but are gone for the 3 months of summer when the tourist season is in full swing. We don't miss it! We love to be here the rest of the year and enjoy all of 30-A.
I do believe there needs to be some enforcement of codes but let's not penalize folks who do obey the rules and respect others. I think there needs to be serious discussions about a lot of unsafe situations including but not limited to people who park dead center on the bike path and block both directions forcing people into the road to get around them. This includes service and delivery vehicles, this happens all times of the year and police cars pass them and never stop to cite them or at least warn them. unfortunately it will take someone getting hit to wake folks up and enforce that code. I don't have all the answers but I think enforcing the codes already on the books is a start.
I do believe the folks who live on 30-A have different attitudes than those that just come for their one week vacation, and I do not mean vacationers should be banned!, they have a right to be here too. Locals just have a different appreciation for 30-A. At the end of the day we all must co-exist and identifying the real issue and enforcing codes already on the books is a good start.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I agree with all your comments Shore-Nanigans re: locals and tourists. Been saying the same thing for years here and other outlets but it seems to no effect. It really bugs me to see police pass by obvious illegal activity of all sorts on 30a. If I was paranoid I would say they-police- have directives from the top to do nothing to up-set the tourists. God forbid we enforce any laws on the books if it would inconvenience this elite group. County gov't makes me sick because, at the end of the day, they don't care what locals feel.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I am not sure that I agree that those in County government "don't care what locals feel". After all, it is the locals who knowthem, vote for them and question their decision the most closely. The change of speed limit on 30A is nothing more than an affort to allow "legalized golf carts" to traverse it from one end to the other. This not only should be disallowed but "legalized golf carts" should be entirely banned from 30A. I speak as someone who lives directly on 30A.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I agree with all your comments Shore-Nanigans re: locals and tourists. Been saying the same thing for years here and other outlets but it seems to no effect. It really bugs me to see police pass by obvious illegal activity of all sorts on 30a. If I was paranoid I would say they-police- have directives from the top to do nothing to up-set the tourists. God forbid we enforce any laws on the books if it would inconvenience this elite group. County gov't makes me sick because, at the end of the day, they don't care what locals feel.

Sounds like a comment from someone who has never attended a public county meeting, and probabl;y never talked to a local official. Personally I don't want our police handing out tickets for bikers who don't stop at a stop sign or other occasional minor offense.