• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
peapod1980 said:
Donna, well, I see your sense of humor in intact--I commend you on that! So sorry to hear about what happened, though.

I have nothing profound to say...but SO SORRY! Not fun :eek:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
Donna said:
I am appalled at how many parents will swear and sign agreements to the effect that they will be on the premises at all times, then head for the hills after procuring the keys for their angels.
This is what totally galls me--it goes so completely against my sense of right and wrong that I can't even comprehend the parents who will do this. As a parent, I want my kids expand their experiences by doing things like thinking outside the box, and I might even be guilty at times of encouraging nonconformity, but...blatantly encouraging them to break rules and/or laws serves no good purpose. To then take it a step further by lying for them is inexcusable.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
peapod1980 said:
This is what totally galls me--it goes so completely against my sense of right and wrong that I can't even comprehend the parents who will do this. As a parent, I want my kids expand their experiences by doing things like thinking outside the box, and I might even be guilty at times of encouraging nonconformity, but...blatantly encouraging them to break rules and/or laws serves no good purpose. To then take it a step further by lying for them is inexcusable.

OK- so y'all will be the other parents chaperoning with us!!:clap_1:

Sheila

SoWal Insider
peapod1980 said:

Even though both mine are grown..... I just cannot comprehend how some parents write the check and then totally disengage!?! :dunno:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
gotothebeachmom said:
Even though both mine are grown..... I just cannot comprehend how some parents write the check and then totally disengage!?! :dunno:

Me neither. I was very trusting of Heather when she was a teenager but for just about whatever she wanted I always had her to do something towards attaining it. These kids are just spoiled.

Like pea said, there's nothing wrong with non-conformity or innovation. This is just disrespect and ungratefulness for what they have. If it was their parents house they had a party in, they'd be busting their butts to clean it up the next day. I just don't understand, are they clueless that this is someone's hard earned money or do they assume that they came easy because apparently things come easy to them? Can you imagine if they are this loaded the promiscuity that occurs. Scary :eek:

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Cork On the Ocean said:
Me neither. I was very trusting of Heather when she was a teenager but for just about whatever she wanted I always had her to do something towards attaining it. These kids are just spoiled.

Like pea said, there's nothing wrong with non-conformity or innovation. This is just disrespect and ungratefulness for what they have. If it was their parents house they had a party in, they'd be busting their butts to clean it up the next day. I just don't understand, are they clueless that this is someone's hard earned money or do they assume that they came easy because apparently things come easy to them? Can you imagine if they are this loaded the promiscuity that occurs. Scary :eek:

Mabe not and maybe therein-lies the problem! There is such a sense of
entitlement among so many young people. It's sad that some parents care so little for their children that they 'buy" their way through life. I am fully aware that there are bumps along the road to adulthood. But, some of life lessons that stuck with me and prepared me for life in the real world were lessons that my folks ,(Dad in particular) chose to let me ride out. As a parent myself, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But, I think the rewards have been tenfold.

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
jdarg said:
Reading these posts has been helpful to me as a parent- even though my son is only 13, we have already had conversations with other parents about Spring Break. Sounds like SUCH a nightmare for property owners.

As of now, our future plan is to rent a house in Grayton, and BE THERE, with our kid, and his friends. He can invite a set number of friends and the trip will be on my dime, BUT- I will be there, with not only rules, but lots of ideas for cool things to do. The choice for him will be easy- he can go to the beach with his friends and have a good time, with his parents there, or he can stay home and do nothing. There will be no option C,D, or E! Hopefully, we will like some of his friend's parents, and they can come too!

Thanks for posting, jdarg. You make me feel like it's okay to be a "mean" mommie with rules. I have a 17 year old daughter and so far she has been no problem (except the occasional attitude that comes with being a teen :roll: ). She has some grand ideas of spring break next year for her senior year and we also have no option C, D, or E! Either enjoy a great trip with your family and a friend or stay at home with grandma and have fun in the cold, Ohio spring! Parenting definitely is a full time job and sometimes it feels like you are the bad guy but I know for sure that I'd NEVER sign a lease for a bunch of kids going on spring break just to keep them happy. Things can get out of control fast even for good kids.

I'm sad to hear these bad stories of irresponsible people. Call me naive but I feel like we always take care of the beautiful places we've stayed and I just expect others to do the same. Sad but true that is not always the case :sosad: .

Good luck to all of the responsible owners out there who bust their butts taking care of their investments and actually caring about the experience that their renters have while vacationing!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Mermaid said:
Paula, didn't you mention in a thread about calling your guests when they arrive to check to see everything was okay? This instance of Mango's house being trashed reminds me of it--maybe that extra personal touch might be what's needed to instill another layer of responsibility in guests. When you "know" someone, it changes things. I don't know if it could prevent unfortunate incidents like this, but perhaps it could lessen the damage significantly. Might be worth a try, at least.

We did call our houses twice, and spoke to one mother once. There was an owner on site who the girls told him they would be having a small gathering, and if they heard noise, to please let them know. There was also a party next door to us as well, so we could not determine where all the cars were going to. he said that there was no one in the pools and he didnt hear noise. His unit is way down the other end. he did look and said he saw kids coming in and out of all 3 homes. This particular owner is not the friendliest and I wish he had called the police, because I guess he went to sleep and in the morning reported a mess on grounds.
Fortunately, another owner who serves on the Board with me is moving down full time, and he will be policing the grounds.
Donna a/ka Mango

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Mango....so sorry for your mess. :sosad: But, I am glad you have joined us here!

I think some of the problems with these type of parents, is they are trying to be friends rather than parents of their children. I saw it in my son's class. The moms dress like their daughters and have a need to feel popular. Kids at this age are still not "cooked" and handing over responsibility of someone else's home is a bad place to start. I wonder if these parents would just open up their own homes to a group of high school kids for a week? Even the most "responsible" kid can make bad decisions in a group.