• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
If possible you need to find someone in your area that lives there and make friends. We have a neighbor that I have told if she sees anything wrong to either call myself or don't hesitate to call the cops. She did this for a neighbor of ours one night when she got home and found 20 year olds hanging from the balcony and furniture on the lawn. When the cops arrived they found the inside trashed - they were all arrested - evicted immediately. The owner ended up having to sue for the extensive damage.

I have also called the property management company on the renters next door to us once - not for noise but for a large dog. I know the owners are not pet friendly (in fact she is allergic to dogs). It took three phone calls and three days - but finally the dog left. I had to keep calling the property manager - they don't care - they don't want to upset the renters and lose their commission. The second time I called the property mgmt I was told that the dog was not staying there - it was with some friends that stopped by for a visit. I told them the friends must have spent the night because I heard the dog on the balcony barking at 6 am. I think the only reason the mgmt finally responded was because I wasn't going to stop calling and they knew I was informing the owner.

Stories like this make me sick - I want to leave right now and go check on our places - hopefully we survived.

Mango I am so sorry this happened to you. People don't understand how violated you feel until you have gone through this.

I would defintely send the parents a bill. Don't know if it will do any good - but it would make me feel better.

Right now we need to think about the 95% of good renters - including the ones that send you Christmas cards of the whole family on the beach. OR the return ones that leave you the notes saying how much they feel that this is their home as well.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Mango, I am so sorry you have had to deal with this. I don't know if this will make a difference, but I keep thinking maybe you could write a letter to the local management companies, alerting them to these people and what they did to your house. Give their name and address and a short but fairly complete list of the things that happened to your home. No sarcasm or emotion, just facts -- a "friendly notice" to steer clear of these particular renters.

You cannot control whether a company will "blacklist" them or just throw your letter away, but I GUARANTEE you will feel better after doing it. Also, if you stick to the facts, I believe you have every right to circulate their names. I know as an owner I would sure appreciate those who alert companies to problem or dishonest renters.

InletBeachDweller -- I saw in another thread that you saw the damage inflicted by spring breakers to our home a couple of years ago. That was before we owned the house but we sure heard about it. I have no idea what actually happened but I am very very careful as a result. We actually had a guy call to see if he could rent the house this spring on behalf of his daughter and her friends. At least he was honest and nice but I flat out told him no.

As far as I'm concerned early to mid-March is off limits (except for the Seaside half-marathon weekend), but the last week of March and early April are OK because I am happy to rent to families on spring break. By then most of the college breaks are over anyway.

I am so thankful to have wonderful neighbors in Seacrest. Very close friends of ours own the home next door to us, so we keep our eyes on what is happening. I am grateful to know Cork is there and would let me know if the house was burning or beer cans were collecting on the porch, and I will never forget the time gotothebeachmom called me out of the blue -- before I had even joined this board -- to tell us our third floor doors were open. It takes that kind of neighborliness to keep us somewhat protected. I also feel the Seacrest office is looking out for us too, which is wonderful. :bow: It seems like it's the only way to keep a handle on things, since we all know management companies can't do everything.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
TooFarTampa said:
We actually had a guy call to see if he could rent the house this spring on behalf of his daughter and her friends. At least he was honest and nice but I flat out told him no. As far as I'm concerned early to mid-March is off limits (except for the Seaside half-marathon weekend), but the last week of March and early April are OK because I am happy to rent to families on spring break. By then most of the college breaks are over anyway.

You're smart TFT. 2 weeks is nothing considering the damage. Kat (from the office) and I were working out today :eek: and discussing this issue and she made a good point. Why don't owners just charge some phenomenol deposit during these high risk weeks. I know those with management companies would have to get the company to do this but it's a possibility for those who need to maximize their income. Charge a refundable $2000 to $4000 deposit. I'll bet daddy will oversee them a little better when he has that much to lose! but your way is the best way. Just to do it!

TooFarTampa said:
I am so thankful to have wonderful neighbors in Seacrest. Very close friends of ours own the home next door to us, so we keep our eyes on what is happening. I am grateful to know Cork is there and would let me know if the house was burning or beer cans were collecting on the porch, and I will never forget the time gotothebeachmom called me out of the blue -- before I had even joined this board -- to tell us our third floor doors were open. It takes that kind of neighborliness to keep us somewhat protected. I also feel the Seacrest office is looking out for us too, which is wonderful. :bow: It seems like it's the only way to keep a handle on things, since we all know management companies can't do everything.

You're right, we all try to keep an eye out. There are several people regularly driving the neighborhood in golf carts that do try to lookout. Think I will stop in and tell them to reinforce this with the new employees. You seem to get some pretty nice families in there. BTW alexander is closed in now so starting to move along. Actually they're much cleaner than the Inn was.

Know when you're coming up yet? I'll be on my way down there for easter with the family.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Cork On the Ocean said:
BTW alexander is closed in now so starting to move along. Actually they're much cleaner than the Inn was.

Know when you're coming up yet? I'll be on my way down there for easter with the family.

Closed in now ??!?!?!? Are you kidding me? :clap_1: Forgive me for being so excited, but to those who don't know they are located directly behind our home, they broke ground in February 2005, and the 21 units were supposed to be completed by September of last year, and again in March, and now by June, but I was having doubts. Are the windows actually in? WOOT!!

You're coming down here for Easter? I'm headed up there! :sosad: We are helping my sister in law move from Gainesville to New Orleans and Seacrest is just about the halfway point. Actually I'm turning around after the weekend and heading home with the kids Monday but my wonderful husband will be driving her UHaul all the way to N.O.

We should be coming up at some point for a week this summer, but I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe July. Still working on summer camp choices for the 6 y.o. Was going to come up June 10-17 but we booked that week and because of the construction we just have to work around our bookings.

P.S. I like Kat's idea of a huge deposit. That would almost make it worth it ... almost.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Getting in way late, but small claims court is always an option if geography isn't an issue. Provide the renter with an inventory of damages and costs of repair. If they do not pay, sue in small claims court. Don't worry if you are suing a lawyer, small claims is designed to minimize the amount of legal wrangling possible (no discovery, etc). Once you get a judgement, you can proceed with collection :clap_1:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
TooFarTampa said:
Closed in now ??!?!?!? Are you kidding me? :clap_1: Forgive me for being so excited, but to those who don't know they are located directly behind our home, they broke ground in February 2005, and the 21 units were supposed to be completed by September of last year, and again in March, and now by June, but I was having doubts. Are the windows actually in? WOOT!!

You're coming down here for Easter? I'm headed up there! :sosad: We are helping my sister in law move from Gainesville to New Orleans and Seacrest is just about the halfway point. Actually I'm turning around after the weekend and heading home with the kids Monday but my wonderful husband will be driving her UHaul all the way to N.O.

We should be coming up at some point for a week this summer, but I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe July. Still working on summer camp choices for the 6 y.o. Was going to come up June 10-17 but we booked that week and because of the construction we just have to work around our bookings.

P.S. I like Kat's idea of a huge deposit. That would almost make it worth it ... almost.

WINDOWS ARE IN !!!!!! Outside not finished yet and I don't think they are dried out but looks like a building at least. If they keep up at this pace, it's feasible to be done by June but I doubt it. Will check the listings to see estimated closing date on the pendings.

Sorry I'm gonna miss you. I'll be in Tarpon after Monday so never know, maybe lunch. If not, then when you get up this way.

I thought the huge deposit was a good idea too! Can you imagine their little red butts if daddy losed 4K :rotfl:

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Cork On the Ocean said:
A flip says early summer but all of the developer pendings have a 6/30/06 close date. :clap_1: We can throw a hellacious party if that's true!

I hope the lights at the Alexander are not as bright as the Carnival/Inn. I thought I was about to see a sunrise at 3:15 am when I was down a couple of weeks ago. Then I realized it was the Inn! :eek:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
gotothebeachmom said:
I hope the lights at the Alexander are not as bright as the Carnival/Inn. I thought I was about to see a sunrise at 3:15 am when I was down a couple of weeks ago. Then I realized it was the Inn! :eek:

:rofl: I thought a plane was landing in front of the house and how tacky is that cheesy looking exterior. It looks like a motel 6 :eek:

No lights at Alexander yet but they start working about 7AM in the morning which is special. They've been really quiet all day. Might be another month's siesta.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Cork On the Ocean said:
:rofl: I thought a plane was landing in front of the house and how tacky is that cheesy looking exterior. It looks like a motel 6 :eek:

No lights at Alexander yet but they start working about 7AM in the morning which is special. They've been really quiet all day. Might be another month's siesta.

TFT is going to need black out drapes for sure, and maybe some earplugs!