• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Ugly is ugly, no matter where it is!

Ugly right on the bridge and dominating the aerial view of the coastline... :puke:

I'm sure it isn't that much worse than ugly buildings in other locations, but that doesn't make it any more aesthetically pleasing!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I agree with Shelly. This is home to me as well and the morphing is especially sad--what I dislike most about the EG is that the developer had it all: a beautiful spot and plenty of money and could have built a beautiful building to add to the environment.

(I am of the Frank Lloyd Wright mindset: buildings need to look as though they come up from the environment--not that they have been imposed upon it).

Instead, he built this.....

It's not that it is necessarily any worse than other things, but that such an opportunity was lost--and for what:dunno:

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007

Thank God I don't leave 30A too often--YUCK to that id one ugly building...and hey, that comparison photograph between it and Disneyland is enough of an example to make folks on 30A be very vocal about what is allowed to be built here on 30A--if you want to keep property values on 30A high--don't follow Destin's lead!

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
Thank God I don't leave 30A too often--YUCK to that id one ugly building...and hey, that comparison photograph between it and Disneyland is enough of an example to make folks on 30A be very vocal about what is allowed to be built here on 30A--if you want to keep property values on 30A high--don't follow Destin's lead!

....OOoooopps, I guess I misspoke, I mean , there is that Hilton house monstrocity on 30A, so somehow ugly things do get approved on 30A....

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The Hilton house at least has architectural merit and innovation on its side. It creates interest instead of solely cringes and eye trauma. ;-)

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I agree with Shelly. This is home to me as well and the morphing is especially sad--what I dislike most about the EG is that the developer had it all: a beautiful spot and plenty of money and could have built a beautiful building to add to the environment.

(I am of the Frank Lloyd Wright mindset: buildings need to look as though they come up from the environment--not that they have been imposed upon it).

Instead, he built this.....

It's not that it is necessarily any worse than other things, but that such an opportunity was lost--and for what:dunno:

Bingo.

Which is why I don't consider the Hilton home's design to be an insult to the landscape -- it kind of looks like a ship from 30-A, after all, and before Alys Beach halfway clear-cut everything, it was pretty well hidden from view (strange but not really imposing). I find it to be a curiosity, not a monstrosity. In many ways, depending on one's tastes, it does meld with its environment quite well. I believe it melds much better than the house next door.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Too Far, I agree.

I always smile when I drive past Charlie's Boat...unlike when I drive past EG and want to cry and throw up all at the same time.

The Boat it does have a certain design charm. It looks as though it could be a beached whale, or a ship dumped by the last hurricane...it sorta "fits" on the sand there...unlike the EG, which looks as though a builder just kept adding oddities to the outline of the building...just because they could...

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Too Far, I agree.

I always smile when I drive past Charlie's Boat...unlike when I drive past EG and want to cry and throw up all at the same time.

The Boat -- it does have a certain design charm. It looks as though it could be a beached whale, or a ship dumped by the last hurricane...it sorta "fits" on the sand there...unlike the EG, which looks as though a builder just kept adding oddities to the outline of the building...just because they could...