• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Girl, you need to put the cold foods at the end of the run, so they don't get hot while waiting for people to move out of the way. Also, add Rice, Pastas to Isle 4, and to Isle 1, add sunscreen. Good list. Very accurate. That particular store has little rhyme and rhythm, and tourists are always trying to find stuff.
First time I've read this thread since I posted. Thanks for the editing, SJ. That helps!

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
The other day, SoWal hubby borrowed my car and took out Publix recyclable bags to get them out of the way of his golf clubs. On my next trip to Publix, I discovered I only had my good supply of four-pack wine recyclable bags. :blink:No problem. I only bought items that would fit in the compartment -- like a dozen eggs, a pound of bacon, etc. :blush: I've enjoyed trying to remember to use the bags. The Inlet Beach Publix even gave me a sticker that you can use to help you remember. They (recyclable bags) should work at other grocery shopping options. Thanks for reminding about Toni, Scooterbug. SJ thanks for Health of It reminder.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
And guess which local family is TOTALLY out of dog food tonight. Not only is there no dog food around here, there are no treats, cookies, etc (for the dogs). I am having to dole out cat snacks to keep them from starving.

Guess Fuzz will have to go to Publix tomorrow morning :D

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
And guess which local family is TOTALLY out of dog food tonight. Not only is there no dog food around here, there are no treats, cookies, etc (for the dogs). I am having to dole out cat snacks to keep them from starving.

Guess Fuzz will have to go to Publix tomorrow morning :D
three words---Pier Park Target. (til tomorrow, then go to For the Health of It and buy natural)

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Mid-Bay Bridge traffic wasn't too bad when we headed down to Destin around 6:30 on Friday, but was starting to pick up when we headed back home around 8:30.

We've got to go register for Gate to Gate run over at Santa Rosa Mall in a little bit, and I'm pondering whether going through Destin or Valparaiso is the best way to go. Destin's shorter and quicker when the traffic's light to medium, but once it gets slammed...

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I just got back from an emergency run to Publix and it wasn't too bad. Lots of folks are already out enjoying the beach, not yet worrying about dinner.

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
:clap: I picked up my staples at For the Health of It yesterday. Chips and tomatoes. Also got a free smoothie sample. I LOVE THIS PLACE!:clap:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Love it too!

It is easy to get into the habit of shopping at the mega stores like Publix, and while Publix does a good job of running a store, there is one little place in SoWal which continues to out-shine even Publix. They really invest much time and effort, researching the products which they carry, and they offer a really good selection of organic and locally/regionally grown foods. If you don't know where it comes from, just ask (how many people in the mega-stores can tell you where the tomatoes were grown, and a little bit about the farmer who grew them?) You can find many types of foods and products, ranging from full line of groceries, natural health products, tee-shirts, books, fresh produce, hand-made soaps from the Soap Pedaler (I always mess up that spelling), juices, sodas, pet food, etc, and they have a community message board to fill you in on the happenings. You can even get an incredible massage and a Smoothie. The people at this little slice of heaven give you an escape from the masses, remind you that are in a sleepy little beach village, all while giving good energy and making you feel part of the community -- For the Health of It. I don't mind shopping at Publix, but I LOVE walking in the door at For the Health of it. If you haven't been, at least stop in for a smoothie or massage, and a warm welcome. You can click on the link above for a little more info, but there is nothing like walking in the door to see for yourself.

The massage therapists they have on staff are some of the best, and will help you to relax even more. Last time I checked, they had the best prices in town, and the treatment rooms are really cool and calming. Ed and Rachael have one of my favorite stores in town (I don't say this lightly)! Every time I go in there, even to just get a juice, I end up staying to talk for while. The people make you slow down your mind, gain perspective on life, while making you feel welcome.

So before stressing out for the rest of the summer when you think about getting groceries, remember that there is one place where you actually leave the store feeling better than when you entered.

For the Health of it is located on the south side of Scenic 30A in Blue Mtn Beach, next to Big Daddy's Bike Shop, and across the street from Blue Orleans, just a hop, skip and a jump, west of 30A/283 intersection.

For The Health Of It
locally owned and operated by Ed Berry & Rachel Morgan
2217 Scenic Highway 30A
Blue Mountain Beach, FL 32459
850.267.0558 | fax 850-267-1901 | e-mail

Now I've made myself want to go grocery shopping. :bang:

PrincessKel

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
Tennessee
We will be there Saturday... WOOHOO!!! and we NEVER attempt a grocery store trip the first day. As long as we have coffee when we wake up, we don't worry about any other provisions.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
There are a variety of local concierge services that will stock your house w/ your grocery list for you - definitely worth it IMO!