• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Grocery stores?

New posts
phdphay said:
Publix has been good for years, at least since 1972 from my experience. As a native Atlantan, I was surprised at how much better Publix stores were in a small city like Gainesville than those in Atlanta at that point in time. It was great being a student living near the University of Florida golf course and within walking distance of a Publix. Hey, it was/is also great ... to be ... a Florida Gator. But I digress. Sorry.

Nevertheless, if I can purchase something at Modica, I buy it there just to support the unique atmosphere and impeccable service there. Mr. Modica is so awesome, and if that store were to fail, it would be a huge blow to the upscale character of 30-A. If I can't find something at Modica or Goatfeathers, *then* I go to Publix.

I lived just down from the golf course also. Across from the law school.
 
kurt said:
I lived just down from the golf course also. Across from the law school.
Freaky! We were at Point West on 34th. My husband and I rode our bikes up SW 2nd Avenue and parked them at the ME (him) and math (me) buildings - parking was too much of a hassle. I was a calculus TA and held my office hours at the Broward pool so I could keep my tan - LOL. BTW my husband and I celebrated our 35th anniversary today!

My sister is also a Gator - ISE major - Tri Delt - lives in Irving, TX - owns three properties in the 30-A area.
 
phdphay said:
BTW my husband and I celebrated our 35th anniversary today!

Happy Anniversary!!! Here's to 35 more years!!!!!!:clap_1:
 
Donna said:
Don't forget our smaller markets like Modica Market (Seaside) and Grayton General Store (intersection of 30-A and DeFuniak Street in Grayton). Modica Market still offers a great selection of specialty items not found elsewhere. And the General Store has a pretty good selection now, including daily fresh Crispy Cremes and the New York Times. A bit more expensive, but not so bad considering gasoline prices and the value one places on their leisure time.
Perhaps one could buy Krispy Kremes!
 
Bob said:
How many 3 woods was it to Leonardos pizza?
Oh, man! Leonardo's was da bomb! Which location u b talkin' 'bout, yo? The fancy one from the old days that was farther east on University Avenue or the fast food one near the 13th Street/University Avenue intersection?

BTW did u ever play golf on the UF golf course and have a live gator plop into a pond a few feet away from you? Kind of scary. Actually I remember walking to class at UF and having to cross to the other side of the street because a real live gator was sunning itself on the sidewalk. THIS IS GATOR COUNTRY!
 
Last edited:
kurt said:
I almost ran over one on my mountain bike behind Lake Alice. :lol:
I saw one take down a small white dog at Lake Alice. I guess it thought the dog was a marshmallow. I never understood why gators like marshmallows.
 
phdphay said:
Oh, man! Leonardo's was da bomb! Which location u b talkin' 'bout, yo? The fancy one from the old days that was farther east on University Avenue or the fast food one near the 13th Street/University Avenue intersection?

BTW did u ever play golf on the UF golf course and have a live gator plop into a pond a few feet away from you? Kind of scary. Actually I remember walking to class at UF and having to cross to the other side of the street because a real live gator was sunning itself on the sidewalk. THIS IS GATOR COUNTRY!
All I know is that there were some pinball machines there, I was very hungry for some reason, and my throat was dry.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top