• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It really seems that Gulf Place has enough presence to be named a beach town, although I really hope that Santa Rosa Beach remains a presence as well, especially because of it's historical significance. Isn't it time to have even bigger BLUE SIGNS to make this all more clear to everyone? I'm joking!!!!!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It really seems that Gulf Place has enough presence to be named a beach town, although I really hope that Santa Rosa Beach remains a presence as well, especially because of it's historical significance. Isn't it time to have even bigger BLUE SIGNS to make this all more clear to everyone? I'm joking!!!!!

What is your def of SRB?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I guess now it would be from Draper Lake to east side of 393, but I'm sure that doesn't fit in with other opinions.I wasn't sure where Blue Mountain ended anyway...

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Not sure what you mean about the new york comment.

But the TDC is not changing place names, just adding them to marketing. AND there are no incorporated towns in SoWal. Pea brain indeed.

I believe the vendors at Gulf Place lobbied for the distinction to improve their visibility. The request caused the TDC to flesh out their rules as to what is a beach town and who should be allowed to be added in the future. their is a thread about it somewhere here.

I suggest you do your homework on the difference between an unincorporated community vs. an incorporated community before stating the beach towns are not incorporated, since depending on the laws of FL, then the commissioners might not have jurisdiction over those communities. I'm not talking about a town seal.

I also suggest you read the article. What part of the article that has people suggesting removing Santa Rosa Beach from the communities did you not understand?

"Dwight Ward of the Artists at Gulf Place suggested solving the problem by removing Santa Rosa Beach from the list of beach communities and replacing it with Gulf Place."

Thanks for pointing out that "their" is a thread about it somewhere. I'll look for it.

I don't have issue with The Artists of Gulf Place advertising their businesses, just not with my tax dollars. I would prefer to see my tax dollars used in marketing or improving Sowal. Businesses, in my opinion, should be responsible for generating their own marketing without the financial assistance of their community.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
The TDC asked their advertising consultant for a recommendation on whether to continue to include Santa Rosa Beach on the list of beach neighborhood to be marketed as part of "Visit South Walton." His recommendation was to keep Gulf Place in the listing. He cited the historical value of the community as part of South Walton's branding, along with the value associated with Santa Rosa Beach being named by Yahoo Travel as one of the 10 best beach destinations. This was discussed at the Dec. 10 TDC meeting.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
As far as I'm concerned, they are just districts in Santa Rosa Beach. If someone asks you what part of Santa Rosa Beach you live in you can say Gulf Place, Seaside, over by WalMart, whatever.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Why is it so expensive to add 2 words to advertising?

A quarter of a million is ridiculous!

unclecarl

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2013
So it looks like the vast majority of us in the 32459 zip code actually live in SRB, as evidenced by our respective addresses. Yet there is discussion of eliminating that particular name from the list of beach communities? Seems backwards to me. But I appreciate the discussion.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Since when is backwards not standard operating procedure when discussing TDC business.