• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
ricky, i have absolutely no concern about the type of people. It is purely the volume of people in a tight area.

Read douglas' post. It explains everything.

exactly!!!!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I can just imagine their website saying the hotel is "just steps from the beach" when they are really over half a mile away. The closest public access, at the bend of Eastern Lake Road is unusable because the outfall was allowed to migrate west, cutting it off. You'd have to wade through the outfall to get to the beach. The next closest access, Ramsgate, is on the southern part of Eastern Lake Road, which is a one-lane dead end with no place to turn around except in someone's carport. Neither access has any parking or restroom, and Ramsgate doesn't have a footwash. How are these hundreds of people going to get to the beach? A shuttle? A shuttle can't turn around at Ramsgate, and there's no bench for them to sit while waiting for a shuttle. They are going to DRIVE, park illegally and get towed. This hotel will have to lie to prospective guests about their beach access.
beach access was the main reason I didn't buy in the pre construction at Chateau 30A hence its demise. Did buy into
1900-98.com on beach 16 unit high rise only 4 left. Construction starts this month. No parking problems. #flipping

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Hampton Inn during spring break. Think about it?
#MTV #chuggingcontest #nationalpub #PCWEST

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
1900-98.com on beach 16 unit high rise only 4 left. Construction starts this month. No parking problems. #flipping

I guess you mean no parking problems for the beach once you figure out where to put your SUV. I saw on the website 'one assigned parking space' per three bedroom unit. Maybe there is overflow parking somewhere?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I've noticed some of the abandoned condo projects on 30a have restarted. Does that bother all you "stop all development" activists? Frankly, I think it looks a hell of a lot better than run down, bankrupt developments. I hope the Hilton Hotel people show up at the hearing to voice their side.

You are correct observing that there tons of NIMBYs around here, but this isn't simple NIMBYism at work here. The scale of the project is out of proportion to the surrounding area. I have a feeling this may be a trial balloon guaging what they may or may not be able to get built on the property. Surely, local developers learned a lesson from the recent Dollar General shootdown in Inlet Beach. Perhaps the real goal is a much smaller scale short term rental facilty whose construction will be viewed as a "win/win" for all involved. Time will tell.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
You are correct observing that there tons of NIMBYs around here, but this isn't simple NIMBYism at work here. The scale of the project is out of proportion to the surrounding area. I have a feeling this may be a trial balloon guaging what they may or may not be able to get built on the property. Surely, local developers learned a lesson from the recent Dollar General shootdown in Inlet Beach. Perhaps the real goal is a much smaller scale short term rental facilty whose construction will be viewed as a "win/win" for all involved. Time will tell.

Do you think that if someone proposed a nice throw back, 50's style motel, ala Cowgirl Kitchen's style of building, that people would mind? I don't. Athough the traffic, particularly where that parcel is, backs up and it floods on the northside so I hear. So I think aesthetics trump impact and are key to the approval. Thoughts?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
From Walton County Public Information (posted today):

PUBLIC NOTICE

The following Planning Item in regard to the development of a potential Hampton Inn has been moved to a special called meeting scheduled for January 14th at 5:00pm.

There will be no discussion of this item at the January 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Planning Commission Meeting.

Re-Design of Chateau 30A - Project number 14-00100167 is being reviewed by Brian Underwood. This is a major development order application submitted by Jenkins Engineering, Inc., requesting approval to develop a 44,205 square foot, 90-room limited lodging hotel and a 660 square foot retail space on a 2.4-acre parcel with a future land use of Village Mixed Use. The project is located on East CR 30A north of Williams Street and is identified by parcel number(s) 24-3S-19-25030-000-0021.

The January 14th Special Planning Commission Meeting will be held at 5:00pm in the South Walton Annex Board Room located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd. in Santa Rosa Beach.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I guess you mean no parking problems for the beach once you figure out where to put your SUV. I saw on the website 'one assigned parking space' per three bedroom unit. Maybe there is overflow parking somewhere?

That's what the 150 spot public parking lot behind it are for.