• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Why doesn't anyone here want an affordable option closer to the beach? Hampton Inn is owned by Hilton. There are no kitchens in the units, so the guests that stay there actually spend money at local restaurants. Not just Publix (another chain that snuck in but people are happy about). Is it because it isn't a Four Seasons or a W? Or is it bringing in the "wrong element?" If it is the wrong element, then SoWal lost that twenty years ago, when all these transplants came from other areas and plopped down their money and bought their local badge. SoWal would be lucky to have 25% of the integrity of a city like Austin or Portland. Both of which have Hampton Inns. Get over yourselves, the design looks clean and elegant, and it has its own parking, which hopefully will be guarded with a gate, just to keep out the "wrong element" I.e. - non-local locals.

Close to the beach? What beach? It's a bit of a walk to the closest accesses, and they are already crowded. Driving is out of the question completely.

There are some options that are as affordable on 30a, and they have kitchens. There might not be a ton if them, but why does there have to be? If people want affordability AND crowded beach accesses, why can't they go to Destin and PCB where that scenario already exists?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't have a problem with it because it is a Hampton Inn or a chain, I have a problem with it because it fills the site with a big box of a building and a parking lot.

And as far as it being affordable, I am sure they will be charging $250-300 a night, not exactly budget accommodations.

MiniRolls

Beach Crab
Feb 23, 2013
Franklin, TN
Amazing Support - Commission Rescheduled Meeting

From:Protect 30A from Proposed Hampton Inn Development in Seagrove Campaign <protect30a@notonmy30a.com>
Due to your amazing support and passion for 30A, we have received over 6,600 signatures to our electronic petition over just a few days. I want to provide you with a bit more of an introduction and update to the recent events regarding the proposed construction of a 90 room, 44,205 sq/ft Hampton Inn hotel here on 30A. Like many of you, I was surprised to learn over the past week that a developer was on the verge of getting approval to move forward on this project that sits on a 2.4 acre site next to the Seagrove Baptist Church just steps from my home in Watersound West Beach.

I am a retired business owner who relocated down to 30A about a year ago after 35 years of coming here literally every summer for vacation. Like many of you, my wife Debbie and I have brought our 2 sons who are now adults down to these pristine beaches to enjoy an experience that has been very special to our family. When I learned of this new development, I immediately got on my neighborhood website and let my fellow neighbors know about what was taking place. Within a matter of a few hours, we had most of our friends signing up on an electronic petition. Obviously we have tapped into the same passion and concern for our community as we had felt.

So where are we now? You might know that the developer, Jenkins Engineering of Destin, FL was scheduled to go before the Planning and Zoning board of the county this past week to present their proposed project. On the day prior to the meeting we were notified that the developer had requested a delay until January 8th to make his presentation. There was no official reason given for the postponement other than it was the developer’s request.

The original plan was to build a 28 unit luxury condo complex called Chateau 30A. Around May or June of this year the original developer decided not to move forward with the project and sold the property.

My understanding from speaking with several people who have connections to this issue is that the current developer has satisfied most, if not all of the requirements of the zoning for this property. ​We are connecting with experts to review every detail and possible option. However, if that is the case, then the Planning Commission will have little choice but to recommend the project for approval to the County Commissioners. ​The Planning Commission meeting has rescheduled the meeting to January 14th at 5PMat the South Walton County Annex building on Hwy 331.​ This will be the only item on the agenda due to the overwhelming feedback the Commission has received.​ I am told that the County Commissioners can and will take into account both the technical aspects of the project but will also consider the input from the public at large prior to making a final decision. I believe that this is where we can have the most influence in the process.

For that reason, we have formed this grassroots movement to provide both a forum to exchange information and to organize an effort to express the opinions of the public to the County Commissioners regarding our concerns about the project. To that end, we have set up a Facebook page entitled Not on My 30A. Please Like us and share any comments or questions you may have. We will be updating this site continually over the next several weeks leading up to the January 8th meeting and beyond if necessary.

Please check out the site and join us as we work together to represent the interests of the property owners, businesses, and other friends of 30A to make sure our voices are heard as we try and protect this awesome community we call 30A.

Sincerely,

Kelley Mossburg

​Recent Media

• Read the article on The Walton Sun about the proposed Hampton Inn Seagrove Beach development: ​http://havn.re/1sqnc6G
  • Watch the news segment on News Channel 7 WJHG-TV interviewing local residents about the proposed Hampton Inn on 30A: http://havn.re/1sqk9eH

Call to Action​

Connect with Us on Social Media
We will continue to stay in contact with you through this email list with important notices but for more for frequent updates, articles, and discussions

‘Follow’ us on Twitter @NotOnMy30A or https://twitter.com/NotOnMy30A

‘Like’​ ​us on Facebook
at https://www.facebook.com/NotOnMy30A

Make plans to attend the Planning Commission meeting on January 14th at 5PM. We need a strong turnout.

Forward this to all your 30A neighbors and friends of 30A
so they can sign the petition and voice their concerns. We've captured over 6,600 signatures in just a few days. We want to ensure everyone is informed and has the option to express their concerns over the proposal. Let's keep the momentum going!! http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/protect-30a-from-proposed

Website coming soon at
www.notonmy30a.com

Email us at Protect30A@notonmy30a.com

From:Protect 30A from Proposed Hampton Inn Development in Seagrove Campaign <protect30a@notonmy30a.com>
Due to your amazing support and passion for 30A, we have received over 6,600 signatures to our electronic petition over just a few days. I want to provide you with a bit more of an introduction and update to the recent events regarding the proposed construction of a 90 room, 44,205 sq/ft Hampton Inn hotel here on 30A. Like many of you, I was surprised to learn over the past week that a developer was on the verge of getting approval to move forward on this project that sits on a 2.4 acre site next to the Seagrove Baptist Church just steps from my home in Watersound West Beach.

I am a retired business owner who relocated down to 30A about a year ago after 35 years of coming here literally every summer for vacation. Like many of you, my wife Debbie and I have brought our 2 sons who are now adults down to these pristine beaches to enjoy an experience that has been very special to our family. When I learned of this new development, I immediately got on my neighborhood website and let my fellow neighbors know about what was taking place. Within a matter of a few hours, we had most of our friends signing up on an electronic petition. Obviously we have tapped into the same passion and concern for our community as we had felt.

So where are we now? You might know that the developer, Jenkins Engineering of Destin, FL was scheduled to go before the Planning and Zoning board of the county this past week to present their proposed project. On the day prior to the meeting we were notified that the developer had requested a delay until January 8th to make his presentation. There was no official reason given for the postponement other than it was the developer’s request.

The original plan was to build a 28 unit luxury condo complex called Chateau 30A. Around May or June of this year the original developer decided not to move forward with the project and sold the property.

My understanding from speaking with several people who have connections to this issue is that the current developer has satisfied most, if not all of the requirements of the zoning for this property. ​We are connecting with experts to review every detail and possible option. However, if that is the case, then the Planning Commission will have little choice but to recommend the project for approval to the County Commissioners. ​The Planning Commission meeting has rescheduled the meeting to January 14th at 5PMat the South Walton County Annex building on Hwy 331.​ This will be the only item on the agenda due to the overwhelming feedback the Commission has received.​ I am told that the County Commissioners can and will take into account both the technical aspects of the project but will also consider the input from the public at large prior to making a final decision. I believe that this is where we can have the most influence in the process.

For that reason, we have formed this grassroots movement to provide both a forum to exchange information and to organize an effort to express the opinions of the public to the County Commissioners regarding our concerns about the project. To that end, we have set up a Facebook page entitled Not on My 30A. Please Like us and share any comments or questions you may have. We will be updating this site continually over the next several weeks leading up to the January 8th meeting and beyond if necessary.

Please check out the site and join us as we work together to represent the interests of the property owners, businesses, and other friends of 30A to make sure our voices are heard as we try and protect this awesome community we call 30A.

Sincerely,

Kelley Mossburg

​Recent Media

• Read the article on The Walton Sun about the proposed Hampton Inn Seagrove Beach development: ​http://havn.re/1sqnc6G
  • Watch the news segment on News Channel 7 WJHG-TV interviewing local residents about the proposed Hampton Inn on 30A: http://havn.re/1sqk9eH

Call to Action​

Connect with Us on Social Media
We will continue to stay in contact with you through this email list with important notices but for more for frequent updates, articles, and discussions

‘Follow’ us on Twitter @NotOnMy30A or https://twitter.com/NotOnMy30A

‘Like’​ ​us on Facebook
at https://www.facebook.com/NotOnMy30A

Make plans to attend the Planning Commission meeting on January 14th at 5PM. We need a strong turnout.

Forward this to all your 30A neighbors and friends of 30A
so they can sign the petition and voice their concerns. We've captured over 6,600 signatures in just a few days. We want to ensure everyone is informed and has the option to express their concerns over the proposal. Let's keep the momentum going!! http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/protect-30a-from-proposed

Website coming soon at
www.notonmy30a.com

Email us at Protect30A@notonmy30a.com
I'll be there, and my husband plans to be there as well. Thanks for all you've done.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I hope someone from Brown St. gets in on this when it gets discussed at the county commission. Brown St. flooded for 3 months in 2013, and again in April of 2014. This was not a routine runoff issue - it was the first time any of the long-term residents there could remember. Both the county and Brown St. residents had substantial expenses as a result. It appeared that the water that caused that flooding came from 30A and land north of 30A, all at higher elevations than Brown St. The lack of stormwater plans for the Hampton has the potential for creating even worse and more frequent flooding.

In addition, the concerns about the Ramsgate and Eastern Lake public beach accesses are well-founded. There is no parking at either and both are a long walk from the proposed hotel site.

These two issues are real and substantial.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I hope someone from Brown St. gets in on this when it gets discussed at the county commission. Brown St. flooded for 3 months in 2013, and again in April of 2014. This was not a routine runoff issue - it was the first time any of the long-term residents there could remember. Both the county and Brown St. residents had substantial expenses as a result. It appeared that the water that caused that flooding came from 30A and land north of 30A, all at higher elevations than Brown St. The lack of stormwater plans for the Hampton has the potential for creating even worse and more frequent flooding.

In addition, the concerns about the Ramsgate and Eastern Lake public beach accesses are well-founded. There is no parking at either and both are a long walk from the proposed hotel site.

These two issues are real and substantial.

Hello I am playing Devil's advocate here -

First, drainage problems in a neighborhood across the highway are due to the fact that the subdivision was built in a flood zone / wetlands overflow of a huge coastal lagoon. I don't know if it is actually on the flood zone map, but nevertheless people built too close to the lake with no planning. The neighborhood has no drainage plan, mostly unpaved streets that drain right in to the lake. Not good for the lake. Although any hotel needs to have an adequate drainage / stormwater retention plan of its own.

Second, although the accesses nearby you mention are really only useable by nearby houses due to no parking, why should that preclude any development? Where is it written that a hotel needs to have nearby plentiful access? Ideally yes, but not necessary to get a major development order approval. Arguing that the accesses will not handle additional people is like trying to tell people not to visit the beach.

I suggest you get a good attorney to argue compatibility issues as mentioned in major development order process. Also a detailed traffic analysis may be required.

The politicians may want to side with the voters if there is enough noise but they have to be given legal reasons to vote against it.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
I wish special places could stay the same. Of course, at what point do they change? When did 30a change? When Seaside was built? Truman show? Success of Red Bar? Other development? Most people who went to 30a did so because they weren't Pcb or Destin type beach people. It's a shame that it will change so much. Mike and I have discovered that we like staying at Seaside, walking, riding our bikes, and keeping the van parked. (We do our touring / restaurant hopping on Sat. When we arrive, awaiting our house availability. We've been bummed over the years that the gulf hasn't been so inviting so we might stay at home. We once came down 5 times in one year. Now, we're down to one. We'll see. Ellen

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I wish special places could stay the same. Of course, at what point do they change? When did 30a change? When Seaside was built? Truman show? Success of Red Bar? Other development? Most people who went to 30a did so because they weren't Pcb or Destin type beach people. It's a shame that it will change so much. Mike and I have discovered that we like staying at Seaside, walking, riding our bikes, and keeping the van parked. (We do our touring / restaurant hopping on Sat. When we arrive, awaiting our house availability. We've been bummed over the years that the gulf hasn't been so inviting so we might stay at home. We once came down 5 times in one year. Now, we're down to one. We'll see. Ellen

I don't know you, but it won't be the same without you.

Hello I am playing Devil's advocate here -

First, drainage problems in a neighborhood across the highway are due to the fact that the subdivision was built in a flood zone / wetlands overflow of a huge coastal lagoon. I don't know if it is actually on the flood zone map, but nevertheless people built too close to the lake with no planning. The neighborhood has no drainage plan, mostly unpaved streets that drain right in to the lake. Not good for the lake. Although any hotel needs to have an adequate drainage / stormwater retention plan of its own.

Second, although the accesses nearby you mention are really only useable by nearby houses due to no parking, why should that preclude any development? Where is it written that a hotel needs to have nearby plentiful access? Ideally yes, but not necessary to get a major development order approval. Arguing that the accesses will not handle additional people is like trying to tell people not to visit the beach.

I suggest you get a good attorney to argue compatibility issues as mentioned in major development order process. Also a detailed traffic analysis may be required.

The politicians may want to side with the voters if there is enough noise but they have to be given legal reasons to vote against it.
Here's a link to the FEMA flood map for that area. http://map1.msc.fema.gov/idms/Intra...CK_VIEW_CENTER.x=620&PICK_VIEW_CENTER.y=255.5