• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Hello I am playing Devil's advocate here -

First, drainage problems in a neighborhood across the highway are due to the fact that the subdivision was built in a flood zone / wetlands overflow of a huge coastal lagoon. I don't know if it is actually on the flood zone map, but nevertheless people built too close to the lake with no planning. The neighborhood has no drainage plan, mostly unpaved streets that drain right in to the lake. Not good for the lake. Although any hotel needs to have an adequate drainage / stormwater retention plan of its own.

Second, although the accesses nearby you mention are really only useable by nearby houses due to no parking, why should that preclude any development? Where is it written that a hotel needs to have nearby plentiful access? Ideally yes, but not necessary to get a major development order approval. Arguing that the accesses will not handle additional people is like trying to tell people not to visit the beach.

I suggest you get a good attorney to argue compatibility issues as mentioned in major development order process. Also a detailed traffic analysis may be required.

The politicians may want to side with the voters if there is enough noise but they have to be given legal reasons to vote against it.

If runoff is coming from the north side of 30A, then it is related. Brown St. is 5 blocks away from Eastern Lake so it's proximity to the lake is not the only issue.

If sufficiency of nearby accesses isn't a consideration for the bureaucracy and politicians, it should be. They're not proposing that specific location so people can get to the outlet malls or Pier Park. They're there to go to the beach. Overloading the nearest neighborhood accesses with that size of a development, especially when one of those accesses is already out of commission due to the outfall, is irresponsible.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Why does there have to be legal reasons for the BCC to deny this proposal? We don't elect lawyers we elect representatives of the population.

I wish special places could stay the same. Of course, at what point do they change? When did 30a change? When Seaside was built? Truman show? Success of Red Bar? Other development? Most people who went to 30a did so because they weren't Pcb or Destin type beach people. It's a shame that it will change so much. Mike and I have discovered that we like staying at Seaside, walking, riding our bikes, and keeping the van parked. (We do our touring / restaurant hopping on Sat. When we arrive, awaiting our house availability. We've been bummed over the years that the gulf hasn't been so inviting so we might stay at home. We once came down 5 times in one year. Now, we're down to one. We'll see. Ellen
Well, first of all, you can't control Mother Nature. There are times when there is seaweed in the Gulf, yellow flies that bite, etc. In the winter there can be days that are quite cold, and days when you can dine outside without a jacket. What we can do is have an impact on those who will make 30A a different place when they propose developments that are out of character for the 30A we love. How do we do that? We send emails to the Planning Commission and BCC. We can attend the meetings if we live close enough, or email the PC and BCC if we live far away. We can all make a difference by communicating. As an example, our previous neighborhood in Seagrove stopped a major incompatible development by our activism. It's not time to give up -- it's time to keep on and on being activists by communicating with the PC and BCC either in person, or if that is not possible because you live far away, via email.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Why does there have to be legal reasons for the BCC to deny this proposal? We don't elect lawyers we elect representatives of the population.
Because those that are elected have to have a valid reason to deny somebody the use of their property. Whether it be compatibility, parking, storm water run off and the like. I would hope they would like to avoid a long and protracted issue on 30a unlike they did in Driftwood Estates if issues of same type are involved.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005

Because they get caught between lawyers. If both sides have nearly equal money thus nearly equal lawyers, it comes down to law.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Because those that are elected have to have a valid reason to deny somebody the use of their property. Whether it be compatibility, parking, storm water run off and the like. I would hope they would like to avoid a long and protracted issue on 30a unlike they did in Driftwood Estates if issues of same type are involved.

Because they get caught between lawyers. If both sides have nearly equal money thus nearly equal lawyers, it comes down to law.

Okay, but Hilton isn't going to tarnish its brand by sending in a fleet of lawyers.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Do you think that if someone proposed a nice throw back, 50's style motel, ala Cowgirl Kitchen's style of building, that people would mind? I don't. Athough the traffic, particularly where that parcel is, backs up and it floods on the northside so I hear. So I think aesthetics trump impact and are key to the approval. Thoughts?

I think we all lamented the razing of Seagrove Villas in the name of the temples being erected on the site back in the day. Personally I don't care about the look or brand as much as I do the volume of humanity the project will lure to an area that is wholly devoid of walkable beach accesses, has flooding issues, and the still as yet to be dealt with 395/30-A intersection parking lot.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Are there any business owners who benefit from tourist dollars willing to offer an opinion on this matter or would just staying quiet be the most prudent thing to do?

Looking over the emails regarding the development that we worked against and succeeded, I now remember that an insider told us to avoid making public comments about the project. It's like playing your hand wrong -- you end up giving your strategy away and allowing the opposition to make arguments against them. Then at the meeting you don't have time or resources to make a comeback to their counter-arguments.

You should study the Land Development Code at http://www.co.walton.fl.us/index.aspx?NID=67 and the Walton County Comprehensive Plan http://www.co.walton.fl.us/index.aspx?NID=68.

So I plan to take this person's advice.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Looking over the emails regarding the development that we worked against and succeeded, I now remember that an insider told us to avoid making public comments about the project. It's like playing your hand wrong -- you end up giving your strategy away and allowing the opposition to make arguments against them. Then at the meeting you don't have time or resources to make a comeback to their counter-arguments.

You should study the Land Development Code at http://www.co.walton.fl.us/index.aspx?NID=67 and the Walton County Comprehensive Plan http://www.co.walton.fl.us/index.aspx?NID=68.

So I plan to take this person's advice.

This type of issue is an age old fight going back thousands of years with millions of cases. There's really nothing to hide. Each side has cards that are face up on the table. The lawyers could swap sides without batting an eye. They always talk to each other anyway and making a deal. They always come out smelling like roses. If roses were made out of whore money.