Hampton Inn Seagrove Beach on Chateau Hotel Property

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Franny, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

well Bob ..that table has even myself wondering why the funding per student is what it is. Any ideas?

2. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

The table shows that:

• [*=1]There are 3095 students in the schools South of the Bay (Sowal)

• [*=1]That property taxes paid by property owners south of the Bay pay $64.9 Million dollars in School taxes

• [*=1]When you divide the taxes paid in Sowal by the number of students in Sowal they pay an average of $20,997 for each student.

• [*=1]That there are 4727 students in the Schools north of the Bay (Norwal)

• [*=1]That property taxes paid by property owners north of the Bay pay 9.3 Million dollars in School taxes

• [*=1]When you divide the taxes paid in Norwal by the number of students in Norwal they pay an average of $1,969 for each student

They were provided to show a poster the accurate data on who pays.

These numbers have no bearing on what the school system spends on each child or in geographic terms

That data is not available.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  3. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

I wonder how much lodging tax So pays v. No ?

4. Misty

Misty Banned

Really? 6 months ahead?

5. Misty

Misty Banned

The lions share is "allocated" to the South end.

6. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Please post your data and source !

7. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

If you are speaking of the bed tax/tourist tax on short-term rentals, that is only collected south of the bay, since that it is the area for the TDC special district.

8. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

that's what I'm saying. BUT does all tax money stay South or is it shared. Bet it's shared. That's a lot of $$$ if all owners pay it.

9. miznotebook

It's four percent collected by the owners from the tourists. The law requires the bed tax to be used for purposes that promote tourism and for beach nourishment (one of the four "cents"). The commissioners have recently gotten attorney general opinions and made legislative findings to provide for some of the funds to be used for such purposes as bike path maintenance and construction and acquisition of land for parking and beach accesses in the TDC's special district. In the last couple of years some funds have been allocated for promotion of events north of the bay such as Chautauqua and Marvel of Flight. I think $20,000 per year is now budgeted for these purposes.

10. poppy

poppy Banned

Owners don't pay a bed tax.

11. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

they DO.......( I'll Splane it to you), renters pay bed tax...so if an owner isn't paying bed taxes (to county) he's either not renting or keeping the $$$ he charged the renter...My Point....may be You should read and try to comprehend what someone is saying, instead of just randomly typing.

12. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Please explain it to me too, because I don't understand your post. My understanding of Poppy's post is that owners don't pay bed tax out of their own pockets. They either act as a collector and pass on what they collected from renters to the TDC, or they don't collect it at all, either because they don't rent their property or they are stealing it from their renters and putting it in their pocket.

13. Misty

Misty Banned

According to your own posts the majority of money is allocated to the south end.

14. poppy

poppy Banned

Exactly as notdeadyet explained. Owners don't pay it, renters do. It's the owners responsibility to collect and forward just like a shop collecting sales tax and forwarding. I guess in your mind you consider it to be your money once it's in your hands.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  15. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

repeat: that's what I'm saying. BUT does all tax money stay South or is it shared? Bet it's shared. That's a lot of $$$ if all owners pay it.........
    I'll make it simple so even you "poppy" can understand and then I'm done....1) take time to read Miz statement: " speaking of the bed tax on rentals"? 2) my answer," that's what I'm saying". 3) even you should have seen the whole conversation was about Collected Taxes and that's a lot of $$$$$$ (as stated) and of course owners need to pay only if its collected. I guess the high humidity today confused your mind? Ain't SOWAL great ?

16. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Then you don't understand the table as it does not show where money is spent.

It only shows where it came from.

17. poppy

poppy Banned

Looks as if I'm not the only one who has difficulty interpreting your posts.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  18. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Are bed taxes charged anywhere but in the South ?

How about all the establishments in the North ? Do they collect ?

19. miznotebook

No, not bed taxes. At one time the DeFuniak Springs City Council looked at getting the TDC special district expanded countywide so that bed taxes could be collected from the hotels/motels north of the bay, but at this time bed taxes are only collected south of the bay.

20. Misty

Misty Banned

Look around you Bob. It's pretty obvious where it isn't being spent...in NoWal.