Hampton Inn Seagrove Beach on Chateau Hotel Property

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Franny, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

I look and that's not what I see !

Give me verifiable data.

2. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Dotty

Do you know if the Bed Tax was created by referendum or by legislative action ?

3. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

I know there was a referendum of voters in the special district area. I would imagine that there had to be action by the legislature as well.

4. Misty

Misty Banned

You're not looking very hard.

How bout the ATV's, wave runners (we don't need those up here) and four wheel drive trucks patroling the beaches...does the Sheriff Dept still own the Nautica RIB 24 Catamaran, equipped with GPS tracking and all the bells and whistles that cost $58.000 to patrol the "beaches"??

How bout that $2,500. M-RAP protected vehicle?

How bout that Aviation Unit...I'll give you a brief synopsis of how the OH-58 helicopter is outfitted. It has the latest in thermal imaging technology, GPS and moving map systems, equipped with a forward looking infa-red system and is able to detect the slightest heat signatures, a 15 in touch screen flat panel monitor, night and sun spotlight, Avelex moving map system Garmin GPS BUT is NOT a full time active unit and only flew 28 missions in 2013 (the latest I have info for) 3 of which were maintenance, 7 were Public Relations rendezvous, 6 for marijuana eradication , 4 "other Agency Assists", and 3 suspect searches.

Or how bout the Emergency Management Bunker? I didn't realize there was anything wrong with the old one but the new amenities include: A $385,000 renovation including the following:

• State of the Art Technology Upgrades include 65” HD TVs, Smart Board Technology and Full Internet Capability
    • Separate Media Room
    • Communications Office
    • Multiple Staff Offices
    • Large Lounge
    • Full Restroom Facilities

The Sheriff's Dept. is larger than life and so is the budget! Don't blow smoke up our backsides making it appear you are supporting the North End....you SoWalers are supporting the damn Sheriff and his toys!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  5. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

I'm truly glad that they have full restroom facilities as well as full internet capability.

Once again your incorrect - we "Sowallers" pay taxes. The BCC decides how to allocate those revenues.

Hard to run a county, sheriffs dept, planning dept, fire and rescue, court services, roads and bridges, animal control, and everything else on 9.0 million.

6. Misty

Misty Banned

Yes absolutely. When the Gov. comes to "bunker" down during the next hurricane I'm glad he can shower and watch the 65" HD tv(s) plural! One just wouldn't suffice.

7. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Maybe we can run the Emergency Operations center out of a tent on the beaches.

Still no data !!!

8. Misty

Misty Banned

Or the nice sub station that was built down there!

9. Misty

Misty Banned

And NoWalers pay taxes as well and don't use any of the amenities the BCC provided down there.

10. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Give me a list of "amenities" provide in the South that are not also provided in the north.

11. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

There are unique characteristics in both North and South Walton. And improvements needed in both areas. People are free to choose where they live and should understand the pros and cons of living in an area before they move there. It is disingenuous to move to an area and then start complaining about the amenities or lack thereof. Property values are greater per comparable residence, business or acre in the South so the amount of taxes collected on an average house, business or acre in the South is greater than the North. There is no legal way around that circumstance. How those funds are spent is the decision of the elected BCC. They recently passed "TIF" zones for both the South and the 331 corridor. If my understanding is correct these zones will hold taxes collected from increased value in the areas they are collected from. Let's see how this works.

12. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

I could do without the rambo armored tank, but I'm fine with the EOC. I think they did well for the money spent. Those tv's and the internet capability aren't for watching netflix, and I have no problem imagining a number of scenarios where first responders need a shower. I guess people living in nowal do understand that they are at higher risk from tornados spun off by a hurricane than the actual coast? That our railroad infrastructure is deteriorating at the same time that it carries more and more hazardous materials? That sowal has no trains passing through, but no wal certainly has quite a few?
    I also have no problem with sowal paying more school taxes because of the higher property values. I'm not happy with the current school administration, or with the bizaro world of school funding, but I believe in the concept of equal spending countywide. It's in everybody's interest that all of Walton County's children receive a good education.
    I would really like to see an end to all this *****ing about who gets what. Everytime I drive through the 395/30a intersection I get pissed off all over again that we have no solution about eight years after the problem was identified. But somehow I doubt that money is the real problem. There are other political issues at play, and some of them have to do with the very same nowal vs sowal attitude expressed by some posters to this thread.

13. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

Very well said notdeadyet.

14. Misty

Misty Banned

NotDeadYet and Danny....I don't disagree with either of you but I do take grave exception to the "donor community" mentality or the "idea" that the South end carries the dead weight of the North and are the bane of their existence.

We do have a Sheriff's Dept. (with "toys") and a budget that I do think has become larger than life and a school system in dire need of an "elected" Superintendent with a vision and desire to educate all of our children, who can't be bought off by special interests and political pandering. Our current super (IMO) is hideous.

That isn't to say that I don't think the Sheriff hasn't done a good job but the M-RAP was/is overkill and I doubt anyone can tell you the last time they saw the Catamaran "patrolling" the beaches. Buying expensive "toys" that sit unused in storage somewhere is not effective use of tax dollars.

My point in mentioning the EOC (albeit lost on some) was to show (once again) that County Government has the largest budget, receives the "lions share" of taxes collected and has the best salaries/retirement plans. The people living North of the Bay are not the proud recipients of SoWals tax dollars, living in the lap of luxury nor are we supported by their "donations".

If SoWal wants to be indignant about how their tax money is spent reigning in County government (not creating another layer of it) is a suggested antidote.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  15. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Yahata, yahata, yahata!

16. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

17. Misty

Misty Banned

My point is... I'd like to know what exactly Robinhood took form the rich in the South and gave to the poor beggars in the North.

18. BeachMac

BeachMac Beach Lover

Would love for some of the bed tax funds to be reallocated, as three of the four "cents" toward tourism promotion when we are already at record-breaking occupancy doesn't quite seem like the best use of funds. Would be great if there was a trigger whereby when tourism exceeds a certain occupancy or percentage of beds, then partial funds are relocated away from promotion to more pressing needs. This assumes a large part of our tourism population is made up of repeat guests who don't need ongoing marketing to drive their patronage as tourists, but I'd be surprised if that isn't the case. And social media outlets are a very inexpensive way to keep them connected in between visits, freeing up tax revenues for other purposes.

19. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

I agree. A much higher percentage of the bed tax should go to helping alleviate the extra burden our visitors put on our infrastructure. Period. Too much traffic. Crumpling bridges. Etc.

20. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

If it helps any, I believe the bike path maintenance and construction and acquisition of land for beach accesses and parking, along with picking up trash on the beach and funding lifeguards, are also paid for from the three "cents."