• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaCrab

Beach Fanatic
Sep 25, 2008
Inlet Beach
I can't wait--what a great event. God Bless all those volunteers who are involved !

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
We agree to disagree, I don't have the time to go over everything I wrote, have to leave town to afford living here. I will say that I have personally been on some 60 drilling operations over the years, many of them offshore, and the effluent from the folks wadding in the surf on any given summer day far exceeds any polution I have ever whitnessed offshore. (also intended to be playful) I mention the joy of standing together in protest because I have been there and know how empowering it is.
Cheers!
what source of reason do you tap to condone drilling platforms in the most hurricane prone area of the world? defiling the environment in the name of cheap energy is short sighted and unethical.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Here's an unpopular opinion - I don't WANT really cheap gas!

The only way to get people to actually think about conservation and resources is price. When it affects their pocketbook they care a heckavu lot more than when it just affects their planet, soul, children's future etc.

$3 gas makes people buy more efficient vehicles, think about their consumption, insulate, etc.

$2 gas makes them buy Humvees and F-7000 pickups.

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
My 15 yr old daughter:

I think we definitely need to do something to stop these idiots who think its a good idea to drill for oil as close as 3 miles out on the beach. Have you seen the Louisiana and Texas shorelines? Big hunks of metal out in the ocean and brown sands. Our beaches are one of the top 10 in the world. Tourism is our main source of income, and if you are going to add oil rigs arguing that "it will create more jobs" and "reduce the use of foreign oils, making oil cheaper" then think about the other risks you are willing to give away. No one is going to want to come here for a vacation, go to the beach and see huge oil rigs in the water, brown sands, and brown waters. Not to mention the risk of having an oil spill that can kill all our precious wild life. Plus they aren't even sure if there is going to be any oil at all?? The cons outweigh the pros. Whatever it is, we as a community need to do something to show the ignorant people around here that this should NOT be done. And I'll be there to back it up.

bird--beach_long.jpg
photo-10154-29-03-07-07-45-48.jpg

Which one do you choose?

I have a radio show on 30A radio and I want to get views from both sides on whether or not YOU think we should drill for oil. Visit our website www.brandspankingnew.yolasite.com and leave us an email where we can put your view on the air. You can also leave a comment on our facebook page Welcome to Facebook | Facebook. We would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
Little less talk - lot more action

Here are some actual things you can do to keep oil rigs off our beaches:
(Condensed version for people that don't have time to muddle through)

1. Post #63 - Sign the petition
Thank you Grayton Girl

2. Post #98 - Hands across the sand website
Thank you Dave Rauschkolb

3. Post #117 & #118 - Phone #'s, addresses, & email
Thank you Andy A. & jodiFl.

4.Post # 205 - Your link for comments on a 30A radio show - Brand Spankin' New
Both sides will be presented
Thank you 30A radio

If I left anything out - BRING IT !!!
If you are for drilling,
Geo can handle any debate issues - I don't have time :wave:

AlphaCrab

Beach Fanatic
Sep 25, 2008
Inlet Beach
Here's an unpopular opinion - I don't WANT really cheap gas!

The only way to get people to actually think about conservation and resources is price. When it affects their pocketbook they care a heckavu lot more than when it just affects their planet, soul, children's future etc.

$3 gas makes people buy more efficient vehicles, think about their consumption, insulate, etc.

$2 gas makes them buy Humvees and F-7000 pickups.

Yes. The enemy really is ignorance--where did I see that?

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
All it takes is ONE mistake to go from white beaches to

Exxon Valdez Oil Spill: 20 Years Later - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Something to think about:
Oil drilling vs. quality of life
Who is willing to give up their land (and lifestyle) for oil drilling
What is the cost (in terms of loss of lifestyle) compared to the convenience and the profit

Who is willing to take their children swimming after the first oil spill?

Vulture oil co's trying to paint rosy picture of new technology for oil spill clean-up
Exxon Mobil ? Royal Dutch Shell plc .com

Remember the TITANIC (supposedly indestructible), NUCLEAR TESTING in the U.S. (the silent politically correct killer), and EXXON (among others)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Join us on the Beaches of South Walton On February 13 to oppose oil drilling in our coastal waters. Protests are planned statewide from Jacksonville to Miami and Key West to Pensacola

The main protest in South Walton will take place from Seagrove beach to Grayton Beach but all TDC beach accesses are a perfect place to gather and send a message to our legislators that oil drilling is a bad policy for our future. Join hands and create human lines in the sand against oil.

IT'S SIMPLE, GO TO YOUR BEACH AND JOIN HANDS FLORIDA

Hands Across The Sand | A gathering of citizens of Florida to prevent near shore oil drilling in Florida's coastal waters.

hands.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.