• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Yeah, why do they ALL have to talk so LOUD??
That's my biggest pet peeve. :shock: Plus the fact that no one ever seems embarrassed.

I am guilty of this. Drives Mr. K crazy. I think it is because I can't hear well on the cell phone (and one of the reasons I hate it) so, I feel I need to talk loudly. I am not cellphone saavy.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Heck with a kazoo. I like to fake an episode of Tourettes, or simply respond to everything they utter. If they look at me funny I tell them not to interrupt me when I'm talking to my imaginary friends.

p.s. Oh, yes--I have done this in public....

I either start commenting on their conversation topic or start having a fake conversation with the air about how I am so important everyone needs to listen to my conversation.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
God help us all if the day arrives when cell phone usage is allowed on airplanes.

And unfortunately, this day is already coming. Airlines are frantically figuring out how they can make money on this idea and they will implement it as soon as they do. I will be complaining and showing I mean it by flying airlines that continue to ban this practice.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
They can't allow it on the smaller planes and they are afraid of the massive backlash if they allow it on larger planes.

One columnist suggested that if they allow it on planes, they should make public the phone numbers of those who made the decision so we can call THEM whenever we have a problem w/ someone on our flight talking.

I can't imagine a flight of cell phone conversations - it's annoying enough during the short time when we are getting on and off the plane. :angry:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
It's the 21st century already. When do we get to start using telepathy? That would solve all our problems.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area

I did love it! :lol:

I am guilty of this. Drives Mr. K crazy. I think it is because I can't hear well on the cell phone (and one of the reasons I hate it) so, I feel I need to talk loudly. I am not cellphone saavy.

It's one thing to not hear well & have to shout occasionally but it's another to be walking around in the grocery store or Ulta, casually perusing the shelves and gabbing loudly. And to be so totally unaware of it! :angry:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Manners, manners, manners. it really boils down to consideration of others, using good judgement and polite manners in any situation. I have observed friends and others talk on cell phones publicly (and in restaurants) for a lot of years. I have never understood this and I never will. Texting and iphone use in a restaurant is just as bad if not worse, imo.

I was told that at a NYE celebration/dinner at a nice local restaurant, there were many iphones out on the tables - some being used occasionally, and some being checked and used quietly at regular intervals (email, texts) regularly. etc. sounds like a personal habit with the new technology. whattayagoing to do? you can't tell people not to quietly use their stuff, but it doesn't exactly seem appropriate for the situation.

oh well! we can only control our own manners! we can also frequent restaurants with cell phone policies.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
We can also try to control the manners of those we are with - uphill battle and frustrating, but worth it for the common good!

It all boils down to manners - the only time I have ever used a cell phone at my mother's dinner table was when our dinner guest had just gotten an Iphone and wanted to try and send me a text it for the entertainment of the group (so I then went and got mine from my room).

Any other occasion would have ended w/ me needing to buy a new cell phone if I used it at the table. ;-)

P.S. Vintij has had "no cell phones" printed on their menus for years, but not everyone complies.

Deli Love

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2008
MidWal???
I know Modica is just a deli counter and we do understand when locals run in for a quick lunch and have to call the menu in to a friend or co worker. We also understand if lunch is being done on the run so business is being conducted at the same time. We do mind a little when someone scolds us for interrupting there conversation when we ask if we can help them when they are next in line. If you are on the phone and you have a good reason, please make room for other people to view the food in the case and please understand that part of our job is to ask if we can help a person standing right in front of the cases. If the answer is no, that's OK we can go to the next person or task that is waiting. If the answer is yes then just ask your call to hang on a second.
I am sad for those too busy talking on the phone to enjoy the things around you. I see the best reunions and friendship beginnings in our little corner of the world. Weather you are on vacation or lunch, stop and enjoy what is around you. I text too much and am guilty of it at the grocery store but I will be more courteous from now on.
Thanks for this thread.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We can also try to control the manners of those we are with - uphill battle and frustrating, but worth it for the common good!

yep. also, be a good example. if friends see that you turn your phone off in the restaurant and never take a call (or go outside if you need to use the phone), they may or may not follow suit.

we used to smoke in restaurants. :yikes: but we know better now (it took laws to be written and enacted). can you imagine smoking in a restaurant now? no worse than talking on the phone, even though its more hazardous to the health of others.

good point Scooter about using the phone at your mother's table. I would have a fit if someone came to my house for dinner and used the phone at the table during dinner. so, why would people feel its okay to do this in a restaurant? I do not and I never will get it.

there are lots of other rules and etiquette suggestions for cell phones and other technology - Miss Kitty gave us a link recently with some excellent tips. It might help if we reviewed some of these in the lounge weekly or whatever. because we all need it. even though I would not talk on a cell phone in a restaurant, I'm sure I have broken other rules of etiquette in other situations (not referring to wild nights out with the girls).

Last edited: