• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I thought I'd share some video to put faces to the names. This is part of the gang that's been eliminated from Sandestin. I had the pleasure of enjoying this beautiful family of nine for 6 months before they moved on to Sandestin. They were loved and protected here. http://www.ubu-online.com/the_pack.html

Nice video. Were you out in the open or under some cover when the video was shot? Do you think that pack hunted or foraged for food?

barefootguy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
With 9 mouths to feed, I'm guessing they did whatever they could. I know they hunted as a pack, and we knew when they were successful. The woods would be full of the sound of celebration -- howling, barking, whining, all kinds of eerie sounds. I saw a couple of them go after a deer. It was amazing how fast they split up and came in at the deer from all directions. I don't know whether or not they were successful in taking it down. By the end of their time here, all the other normal critters we had been seeing were gone -- raccoons, possums, squirrels, rats, deer, etc. Even the two bobcats that had been around the area had to move on. There was no more food. Well, there were 3 young bucks that I always saw together that had survived, but they haven't been seen for quite a while.

Nice video. Were you out in the open or under some cover when the video was shot? Do you think that pack hunted or foraged for food?

With 9 mouths to feed, I'm guessing they did whatever they could. I know they hunted as a pack, and we knew when they were successful. The woods would be full of the sound of celebration -- howling, barking, whining, all kinds of eerie sounds. I saw a couple of them go after a deer. It was amazing how fast they split up and came in at the deer from all directions. I don't know whether or not they were successful in taking it down. By the end of their time here, all the other normal critters we had been seeing were gone -- raccoons, possums, squirrels, rats, deer, etc. Even the two bobcats that had been around the area had to move on. There was no more food. Well, there were 3 young bucks that I always saw together that had survived, but they haven't been seen for quite a while.

Where did that video get shot? Were they wary of you?

barefootguy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
That video footage was all shot from an upstairs window, so they had no clue they were being watched. Plus, I could keep the camera steadier. Any time someone would come by on foot, bike or car, they'd dash into the woods. With my binoculars I could spot their noses peeking through the bushes. Several times I tried to get close enough for a good picture, but they always caught me. As long as I wasn't getting too close or making eye contact, they'd just sit and watch me. I'd watch neighbors trying to sneak up for a closer look and would just have to laugh. The whole pack would watch their every move. I have 3-4 hours worth of video that spans July- January. The pups were old enough to travel by October, so from October to January I only saw them every few days. And then it was only in smaller groups of 3 or 4.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
By the end of their time here, all the other normal critters we had been seeing were gone -- raccoons, possums, squirrels, rats, deer, etc. Even the two bobcats that had been around the area had to move on. There was no more food.
And don't you think this is a little unbalanced? :dunno:

barefootguy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I keep seeing postings about wandering dogs. Don't forget that we're in the midst of the coyote breeding season. Coyotes mate for life, but dogs will go after anything in heat. Small dogs look like foxes -- coyotes kill or chase off foxes since they compete for the same rodents. Big dogs may or may not be welcome to run with the pack.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I can hear the coyotes talking it up in the woods at night near my latest crib. I have been watching them an hour before daylight scurrying to there hideouts. The other day it looked like a small pack took a rabbit as a group.

Are they dangerous at all to small kids?

Nothing is bad or evil...you just have to keep away from the sharp end.
YouTube - The Gods Must Be Crazy

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I thought I'd share some video to put faces to the names. This is part of the gang that's been eliminated from Sandestin. I had the pleasure of enjoying this beautiful family of nine for 6 months before they moved on to Sandestin. They were loved and protected here. http://www.ubu-online.com/the_pack.html

:clap: Very cool. Thanks for posting.