• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Okay guys. I can certainly say that all of you co-conspirators have had your fun. I trusted each of you so I went along with this Jaguarundi stuff, even though in the back of my mind, I should have known better. But after this weekend I started asking around. I spoke to native Floridians, born and raised in this area, hunters and sportsmen alike. I have never felt like such a fool as I was trying to explain to these people what a Jaguarundi was. Nor have I ever been laughed at by so many different people.

So you got me. I am certain that all of you were in on it in some way. And you have all had your fun. Ha Ha.

:clap:

Dude, c'mon, you know there are flying cat/dogs in the forest.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
The cougars in sowal are far more dangerous than any other cat in the area. :wave:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Do coyotes eat mice? I know they eat cats, but they have not gotten all of mine, yet, but this year I am being overrun by field mice. Never really had the problem in years past, but four in 3 days is more than I have seen in 20 years.

Coyotes will eat just about anything. Their main diet is small rodents like mice and rats. They will eat your garbage if you leave it out. In the warmer climate of FL, coyotes likely remain quite small in the 20 pound range and so would be difficult to be much of a threat to most children.

That being said, they are a carnivore with the right teeth to get into trouble. Mix that with starvation, rabies or people actually feeding them for fun and you have a recipe for headlines.

I personally fear a coyote more than I would a timber wolf from back home.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Coyotes will eat just about anything. Their main diet is small rodents like mice and rats. They will eat your garbage if you leave it out. In the warmer climate of FL, coyotes likely remain quite small in the 20 pound range and so would be difficult to be much of a threat to most children.

That being said, they are a carnivore with the right teeth to get into trouble. Mix that with starvation, rabies or people actually feeding them for fun and you have a recipe for headlines.

They definitely find house cats tasty. In my neck of the woods, sandestin has been trapping coyotes for the last year or so due to some sort of outbreak. It's common to see them crossing 98 from the state forest at night. Interestingly enough, while a large number of domesticated cats around here have gone missing over the last year (including my own) the local feral cats seem to be quite adept at staying out of their way. They do seem to have a lot of close encounters though, I often spot feral with missing tails and heavy scar damage to the hind quarters.

I was checking out a coyote that had just been hit by a vehicle near Peach Creek the other day. I figure he went 65 lbs. He had large, healthy canines. Is that real big for a coyote, 65 lbs?

They definitely find house cats tasty. In my neck of the woods, sandestin has been trapping coyotes for the last year or so due to some sort of outbreak. It's common to see them crossing 98 from the state forest at night. Interestingly enough, while a large number of domesticated cats around here have gone missing over the last year (including my own) the local feral cats seem to be quite adept at staying out of their way. They do seem to have a lot of close encounters though, I often spot feral with missing tails and heavy scar damage to the hind quarters.

I got out and about at 4:00 a.m. this morning and heard some cats making big noise at the edge of the forest.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Local paper just did an article on coyotes eating pets, attacking humans, and how to deal w/ them etc. The biggest problem is people feeding them so they lose their fear of humans. Among suggestions were getting rid of fruit trees that attract the small mammals they feed on, getting rid of any trash/food that attracts them, and using fencing to protect smaller pets in your yard.

Gotta love a journalist who uses "Wily coyotes" to start a story off! :rofl: