• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
My family lives on 500 undeveloped acres. We have several lakes and Coyotes wander around our property periodically. I have observed that, as my pack of house dogs has grown, the coyotes are less likely to come around. There is a whole lot of scent marking that goes onbut the dogs discourage any wildlife from staying too long. I no longer go out alone due to physical probs. I would encourage all to keep there kids close and teach them to take a walking stick with them when they do venture out. I would also encourage all your neighbors to respect the coyotes. Don't leave any items out that would be a buffet for the coyotes. You can also go to an outdoors store and get something to mark your territory so the coyotes will move on...

My family lives on 500 undeveloped acres. We have several lakes and Coyotes wander around our property periodically. I have observed that, as my pack of house dogs has grown, the coyotes are less likely to come around. There is a whole lot of scent marking that goes onbut the dogs discourage any wildlife from staying too long. I no longer go out alone due to physical probs. I would encourage all to keep there kids close and teach them to take a walking stick with them when they do venture out. I would also encourage all your neighbors to respect the coyotes. Don't leave any items out that would be a buffet for the coyotes. You can also go to an outdoors store and get something to mark your territory so the coyotes will move on...

The concept of a walking stick is an oldie but a goodie.

Last edited:

cheesehead

Beach Lover
Jul 28, 2008
30a
Coyotes running in packs are dangerous. Don't see them alot at Camp Creek, but, there's 3 young ones running around and there droppings are visible everyday. Used to see several adult ones running around, and due to the fact that they're protected there, they've become very brave.

Woke one up sleeping inside a bunker on #3 one am, shielding itself from the wind. It wasn't afaid that I was there at all.

Chip and Dale

Beach Lover
Jun 7, 2006
WaterColor
Just wait until they reintroduce the Florida Panther. (that program is coming, though fairly far away in time.) I saw a story on it the other day. By the way, the Florida Panther is a native species, along with the Black Bear and Red Wolf. When the wolf and panther were killed off, there was a huge gap in the cycle of life, leaving room and need for another species, such as the coyote, to take their place.

There are folks east of Tallahassee (towards Perry) who swear they hear/see the Florida panther prowling about. It could just be the hunters mixing it up with "wild turkey", but Ted Turner's Avalon Plantation [Homestead] is in the general area. Panthers are not supposed to be up on the panhandle.

There are folks east of Tallahassee (towards Perry) who swear they hear/see the Florida panther prowling about. It could just be the hunters mixing it up with "wild turkey", but Ted Turner's Avalon Plantation [Homestead] is in the general area. Panthers are not supposed to be up on the panhandle.

Some of my guys said that during a controlled burn near Watercolor and 30A a panther got forced into 30A and hit by a car. I still quiz them about it and they swear they are unmistaken.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Coyotes running in packs are dangerous. Don't see them alot at Camp Creek, but, there's 3 young ones running around and there droppings are visible everyday.
You might want to make that 2 ....saw a small one dead on 98 yesterday. As for the panthers, there are folks that swear there was one near Four Mile Village as recently as last year. They could very well be in Tallahassee as well as they HAVE been found hit on 75 as far north as Ocala.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Isn't there a wild cat in this neck of the woods that often gets mistaken for a panther?

I know there was a thread about them here, maybe a year ago, and I'd search for it if I could remember what they were called. :dunno: