• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Aquaman

Beach Comber
Oct 10, 2008
i dont see the coyotes throwing trash on thirty-A and i do not see any of the so called belong here picking up any of the trash along thirty-a.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
A child that is old enough to be playing unsupervised outdoors is big enough to not be bothered by a coyote.

I wouldn't send them outside w/ a steak tartare sandwich if there's a pack in the yard, but shouldn't be a problem. :wave:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I was born and raised on the Southern high plains of Colorado and saw coyotes all the time. They are much more afraid of humans than humans should be of them. Growing up, we normally thought of them as cowardly in nature and only willing to take advantage of another creature if they had the advantage.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I was born and raised on the Southern high plains of Colorado and saw coyotes all the time. They are much more afraid of humans than humans should be of them. Growing up, we normally thought of them as cowardly in nature and only willing to take advantage of another creature if they had the advantage.

If they only would quit spending all of their money at Acme.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think a child would be fine as we seem to have plenty of smaller animals to keep them fed. Generally animals go after humans when provoked or lack of easier food source.

Shane

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2008
I know of a few tales of them attacking full-grown adults in Georgia, there was a story about in in Georgia Outdoor News a couple months ago, a 19 year old got mauled by a pack of three of them while hunting.

Like it or not, the southeast is *not* their natural habitat, they were introduced into Alabama in the '50s as a game animal and spread out from there. They have a detrimental impact on native species like Bobwhite Quail and Deer, and are an agricultural pest, killing chickens, pigs, goats, etc.

And the fact that they are so bold as to be seen by you while they are hunting means that they've lost or are losing their fear of people, and that is when they become very dangerous.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I know of a few tales of them attacking full-grown adults in Georgia, there was a story about in in Georgia Outdoor News a couple months ago, a 19 year old got mauled by a pack of three of them while hunting.

I'm going to venture out on a limb and guess starving or rabies.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

Okay you got me on this one. What was the 19 year old hunting with? A spear? Even if it was black powder he could have killed one of them and beat the other two away if they stayed. This is a good reason why we should keep large capacity clips legal. Carry my squirrel rifle, but keep my Glock 9MM with the 3 17 round clips just in case, for backup.

Remember gun control should be nothing more than using two hands.

Shane

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2008
He was bowhunting if memory serves me right. If the coyotes are getting too close to your place, I'd call fish and wildlife so they can get trapped or killed.. just a safety precaution for your domestic animals and for the health of the ecosystem. The apex predators need to be indigenous ones like Bobcats and Foxes, not an intruder species.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just wait until they reintroduce the Florida Panther. (that program is coming, though fairly far away in time.) I saw a story on it the other day. By the way, the Florida Panther is a native species, along with the Black Bear and Red Wolf. When the wolf and panther were killed off, there was a huge gap in the cycle of life, leaving room and need for another species, such as the coyote, to take their place.