• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Shane

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2008
Unfortunate thing about the panther is that since they are solitary, and coyotes in this region have more pack tendencies.. There's a good chance that coyotes could thwart a re-introduction plan for the Florida Panther.

Panthers ARE in the panhandle, and even a bit farther north. In the early 90's my grandfather found some tracks in the beanfield which he plastered and sent to UGA for identification. We all thought we had found evidence of Bobcat-zilla, but it came back as a Florida Panther.

And this was in extreme southwest Georgia. There's just very few places remote enough for them to thrive anymore. Even places like pt. washington state forest are too clearcut and pressured to hold more than say.. 3 or 4 panthers, even with all that acreage. Re-introduction would be awesome, there's just not much space for them anymore.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Unfortunate thing about the panther is that since they are solitary, and coyotes in this region have more pack tendencies.. There's a good chance that coyotes could thwart a re-introduction plan for the Florida Panther.

Do coyotes eat mice? I know they eat cats, but they have not gotten all of mine, yet, but this year I am being overrun by field mice. Never really had the problem in years past, but four in 3 days is more than I have seen in 20 years.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Isn't there a wild cat in this neck of the woods that often gets mistaken for a panther?

I know there was a thread about them here, maybe a year ago, and I'd search for it if I could remember what they were called. :dunno:
That would be the jaguarundi that is seen around here but I dont know how anyone could mistake it for a panther as it is alot smaller and very dark in color.
I think you were looking for http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=19536&highlight=jaguarundi

Last edited:
Thanks so much Jodi. Years ago I was coming down 83 from the beach at dusk towards 98 and saw a large animal crossing the road heading into Point Washington State Forest. I thought it was a coyote until it jumped probably the last 15 feet from the street to the woods. Its tail was enormous and I have wondered ever since what kind of animal would have a tail that long compared to its body. It may have been 70 to 100 pounds.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Somebody brought a pair of Coyotes to Eglin Reservation to hunt them some years ago. We've seen at least a half a dozen dead along 98 recently. They are agressive, and it's open season if someone likes to hunt!

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Thanks so much Jodi. Years ago I was coming down 83 from the beach at dusk towards 98 and saw a large animal crossing the road heading into Point Washington State Forest. I thought it was a coyote until it jumped probably the last 15 feet from the street to the woods. Its tail was enormous and I have wondered ever since what kind of animal would have a tail that long compared to its body. It may have been 70 to 100 pounds.

From the Wiki:
The jaguarundi (Puma yagouaroundi) is a medium-sized Mexican, Central and South American wild cat: average length 65 cm (30 inches) with 45 cm (20 in) of tail and a weight of about 6 kg (13.2 lbs). It has short legs and an appearance somewhat like an otter; the ears are short and rounded. The coat is unspotted, uniform in color, and varying from blackish to brownish gray (gray phase) or from foxy red to chestnut (red phase).

Personally, I think this talk is another urban myth. I was born and raised in this area and have hunted it the first 30 years of my life and until I read about it here, never heard of such a thing.

From the Wiki:
The jaguarundi (Puma yagouaroundi) is a medium-sized Mexican, Central and South American wild cat: average length 65 cm (30 inches) with 45 cm (20 in) of tail and a weight of about 6 kg (13.2 lbs). It has short legs and an appearance somewhat like an otter; the ears are short and rounded. The coat is unspotted, uniform in color, and varying from blackish to brownish gray (gray phase) or from foxy red to chestnut (red phase).

Personally, I think this talk is another urban myth. I was born and raised in this area and have hunted it the first 30 years of my life and until I read about it here, never heard of such a thing.

I guess I'm back to wondering just what it was that I saw bound through the air like a cat/dog.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Well...they are definitely large cats here. I haven't been privy to many - heard them more before the coyotes showed up - but my dad used to see th. Seems somebody had one treed somewhere off of Bay Drive last year and it was classified as a jaguarundi (thanks jodi). :creepy:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Okay guys. I can certainly say that all of you co-conspirators have had your fun. I trusted each of you so I went along with this Jaguarundi stuff, even though in the back of my mind, I should have known better. But after this weekend I started asking around. I spoke to native Floridians, born and raised in this area, hunters and sportsmen alike. I have never felt like such a fool as I was trying to explain to these people what a Jaguarundi was. Nor have I ever been laughed at by so many different people.

So you got me. I am certain that all of you were in on it in some way. And you have all had your fun. Ha Ha.

:clap: