• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Smiling JOe said:
Yes, actually it is two sandbags remaining from 100+ sandbags placed yesterday. Also, part of a brick wall and a few pavers are in the photo.

Here is a satellite photo of Katrina taken around noon today.

Yeah. Sandbags. GREAT idea. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
These are desperate people trying to fight Mother Nature....at least we know who the geotubes belong to....the question is, where will they turn up?

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
According to the weather underground website, the hurricane force winds will extend north for up to 150 miles. That is incredible and scary to those that live north of NOLA and surrounding areas. Hopefully, those people know to evac too since life and structure will be threatened that far north.

No end in sight to this madness because don't look now but they have spotted another tropical depression (TD 13 I think it is labeled) down south in the islands. God please let this one die out in the atlantic for everyones sake.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
wetwilly said:
According to the weather underground website, the hurricane force winds will extend north for up to 150 miles. That is incredible and scary to those that live north of NOLA and surrounding areas. Hopefully, those people know to evac too since life and structure will be threatened that far north.

No end in sight to this madness because don't look now but they have spotted another tropical depression (TD 13 I think it is labeled) down south in the islands. God please let this one die out in the atlantic for everyones sake.

That would be Lee. :bang:

ksherman

Beach Comber
Aug 28, 2005
Please offer some "local" advice. My family was scheduled to be in Seagrove this week (yesterday through Sept. 3), but of course have put the trip on hold because of the weather. On Saturday we changed flights so that we'd arrive on Wednesday (Aug. 13) thinking that since the path had changed that the worst would pass the South Walton Beach area by then. Now, I'm concerned that this may not be the case. You guys know this stuff backwards and forwards: am I kidding myself to think that we might actually be able to make our trip on Wednesday of this week and stay through Labor Day weekend? Or, should we stay home and leave the roads open for people who need to get in and out> you're down there? What do you think?

With greatest thanks for a mother of 4 who LOVES 3o-A! (Last visit was July 23, 2005 right after the July Hurricane.)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
ksherman said:
Please offer some "local" advice. My family was scheduled to be in Seagrove this week (yesterday through Sept. 3), but of course have put the trip on hold because of the weather. On Saturday we changed flights so that we'd arrive on Wednesday (Aug. 13) thinking that since the path had changed that the worst would pass the South Walton Beach area by then. Now, I'm concerned that this may not be the case. You guys know this stuff backwards and forwards: am I kidding myself to think that we might actually be able to make our trip on Wednesday of this week and stay through Labor Day weekend? Or, should we stay home and leave the roads open for people who need to get in and out> you're down there? What do you think?

With greatest thanks for a mother of 4 who LOVES 3o-A! (Last visit was July 23, 2005 right after the July Hurricane.)

Think you crossed your dates, but if you mean this coming Wed., I would wait until tomorrow, and we will be able to paint a more accurate picture for you.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
To tell you the truth, JOe, I'm thinking along the same lines as ksherman. My husband and I are anxious to get down to the beach as soon as we can...but of course we don't want to kill ourselves trying to do it.

We're very grateful for those of you on 30-A who are keeping us so well-informed. Keep up the good work, guys, and keep safe! :clap_1:

ksherman

Beach Comber
Aug 28, 2005
Smiling Joe, you're right -- I got my date wrong. We're scheduled to come in this Wednesday, August 31. Our fingers are crossed!

As a regular "lurker" since Ivan last fall, I appreciate the great information you guys provide to those far away from the beaches. My family and I were in Navarre last September on Saturday before Ivan hit and were evacuated on Tuesday morning before the hurricane came on shore Wednesday evening. Ever since that experience, my husband and I have a great appreciation (and respect) for those of you who have gone through this over and over. Our hearts are with you!

Again, please keep us posted. We'll keep an eye out on this site to see how things turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.