• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
tistheseason said:
Thanks for all of the information. . . now I don't feel so silly for still boarding up. It certainly makes me feel safer!

We have 2 houses to take care of, so we can't wait until the last minute to do it. We purchased the shutters just so we could easily make the decision to close up the house. We no longer have to go thru the stress of "should we board or not", since it's now not so hard and doesn't require outside help or more $$$. Reducing stress is a major motivator for us. Close up the house and don't worrry. BTW - Watercolor has boarded up most of their buildings, so don't feel silly.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Our house just completed in May 2005, has Hurricane resistant windows (rated to 130mph) and 6 sets of double french doors that the builder/supplier claims are 'Hurricane proof" and rated at 250mph. The glass is impact resistant too. But as the supplier rep indicated the Friday before Dennis came ashore, "....the Hurrican resistant doors may survive very high winds (200+mph) but if a strong Cat 5 rolls thru, the doors and the glass in them will be fine but the house will likely be flattened...". Not what I needed to hear as we were packing the Suburban to head north on the evacuation route.

gsigman

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2005
SGB--I am coming down ASAP to try to find panels for our house in Seagrove. Did you install yours yourself? I am going the Lexan + aluminum route. Hoping to find out where I can get these materials. What do you guys suggest???

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
thekid said:
SGB--I am coming down ASAP to try to find panels for our house in Seagrove. Did you install yours yourself? I am going the Lexan + aluminum route. Hoping to find out where I can get these materials. What do you guys suggest???

TheKid - We purchased all the Lexan shutters and accordians through Charlie of Panhandle Shutters. They installed it and took care of everything. I don't know where you can get the Lexan panels and install them yourselves. We didn't want to take on that job and risk screwing up our house. We're handy, but not that handy! Charlie's number is 850-596-7861. He is a wealth of information, and would give you the straight scoop on what would work best for you. I don't think he sells the lexan panels unless they install them. He has to order the panels and they are usually on backorder. He might be able to tell you where to get the Lexan panels yourself. He doesn't sell the metal panels.