• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

robvanepps

Beach Lover
Aug 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Bch
Hello All,

I'm a local who loves to catch fish. Now that it's Spring time, I thought I'd ask the Forum Community for some recipes to try. I know I can Google a gazillion recipes but thought it might be better to ask the locals how they do it.

Fry, sear, broil, bake, grill, etc... Also, note that I not the best cook, so, a little detail would be appreciated.

Been catching Pompano's, Trout, Reds, and Sheepshead. I'm really interested in a nice Pompano recipe but thought I'd open it to all fish. So, If you want to place in a Snapper, Grouper, Trigger, King, Spanish, or Cobia recipe in here...I would not be upset if you did :)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading this far!

Rob

***I will take photo's and give feedback of which recipes I try.***

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
I find simple is usually better with most fish. For example, last night grilled fresh cobia filets over charcoal basting with just butter seasoned with fresh chopped garlic, salt and pepper.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
This is a simple and easy recipe (clean up is a breeze too); Heat oven to 350, line a cookie sheet or broiler pan with tin foil. Spray cooking spray on foil or drizzle a little olive oil instead. Lay any kind of tender filet (pompano, redfish, trout, grouper, snapper, etc) on the foil. Lightly salt and pepper or use your favoret seasoning like Nature's Seasoning, or Cavender's. Slice some onion so you can place the circles on the fish, smash a clove of garlic and roughly chop it and put on the fish. Then use half to a whole lemon, squeezed on the fish. Use the foil you lined the pan with and enclose it over the fish and make a couple vent holes. Put in the oven and bake 20 minutes for thinner filets. Thicker filets will take longer. It's so simple and yet delicious.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Another one from an Italian friend; Saute onion, peppers and garlic and fish chunks in olive oil for until lightly tender. Add fresh roughly chopped tomato (skin, seeds and all) add black olives, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until fish is done. Pour over a bed of pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Our daughter's concoction:

Fish Tacos

1-2 pounds of white fish (such as tilapia, grouper, etc.)
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 lime, juiced
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika
10-15 slices of preserved jalapenos, chopped
3-4 tablespoons of liquid from jalapenos
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
1 poblano, coarsely chopped
1 sweet onion, coarsely chopped

Marinate fish for at least one hour in olive oil, lime juice, garlic, garlic salt, garlic powder, kosher salt, paprika, jalapenos, jalapeno juice, and poblanos.

Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add fish, and cook until done. While cooking, put the soft tacos in the microwave until warm.

Serve with Hot Pepper Cole Slaw.

Hot Pepper Cole Slaw

1/2 bag of pre-shredded cole slaw mix
4 tablespoons of Hellman’s light mayonnaise
10-15 slices of pickled jalapenos, chopped
3 tablespoons of liquid from jalapenos
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
1 large pinch of sugar

Mix together the ingredients above.

robvanepps

Beach Lover
Aug 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Bch
:thanks: Beach Runner! I wil certainly have to try and make those tacos. From the looks of it, I am guessing that they will have some spiciness to them?

Seagrovegirl, I tried both of your suggestions and they were fantastic. I first tried the bake recipe on Tuesday with Pompano that I caught by the Goatfeather's beach access. I only used the shoulder/tops of the filet and did the recipe as you wrote but had to add a little butter on the fish just before it went into the oven. 20 minutes in a 350 oven and the fish was so tender and juicy. :clap: You will see a different fish with Mushroom that was prepared by my wife and it also was delicious. Both were served on ReadyRice. Again, so delicious!

IMG_2532.jpgIMG_2537.jpgIMG_2540.jpgIMG_2544.jpgIMG_2546.jpg

Then. I went a got a Sheepshead at the 331 bridge for the pasta recipe and prepared as you wrote. And, It too was so delicious. (I have always added to many spices and such in the past.) It was so good, that I will do as Southof30A suggested and just keep it simple from this time forward. Here are the photos for the Sheepshead pasta dish.

IMG_2560.jpgIMG_2564.jpgIMG_2566.jpg

I will be headed to the store for the ingredients for the Tacos that Beach Runner suggested.

I will have to wait for a nice filet to grill some fish up. That brings up a good question? Is there a general size limit when grilling fish? half inch thick and less = no grill? one inch thick or less = no grill? etc... Leave skin on? Whole fish?

Thanks again for the suggestions and assistance! It is very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

robvanepps

Beach Lover
Aug 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Bch
That's a really nice pomp, man! Hope they're still biting in a few weeks when i'm down.... you catch him on sand fleas?

dcgoz,

That's correct, I'm fishing sand fleas just past the first sand bar. Also, the Pompano are being caught everywhere - Seagrove, Grayton, Seaside, Blue Mountain, Topsail, etc...

The water temps are just starting to rise so there is hope that the Pomps hang around longer. I am no expert by no means but one of my fishing charts says Pomp fishing stays good until June/July. And, I have friends that caught them in the dead of winter, go figure. Best way is to wet a line and wait them out. Also, check in with the folks at Stinky's fish Camp - they have a Pompano tourney thats ongoing that keeps me updated.

http://www.stinkyspompanotournament.com/

Good Luck,
Rob