If staying in Seagrove...

Discussion in 'Business, Goods and Services' started by Paige, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Paige

Paige Beach Lover

which WalMart should I go to? The one in Destin or the one in PCB?

2. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

No offense, but why go to either? Is there something you can get at Walmart that you can't get in SoWal?

3. Paige

Paige Beach Lover

B/c we are buying supplies for 35 people and it just the economical choice. When it's just me and the family we go to the Publix. Hence, the reason I need to ask the question. I've never been to either Wal Mart and don't know which is closer.

4. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    From Seagrove I think it's kind of a wash. But if the Wal-Mart is in PCB and not Panama City proper, I would guess the PCB one would be quicker, because potentially less traffic going that way on 98.

Can you hit one on the way in?

5. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Both are about the same but PCB is usually easier to navigate to and fro. Although go as early as you can for either. Destin has places along the way you might want to stop at.

Once you factor in gas, time, and hassle - Publix is a better choice. I can't imagine prices are much different than WM.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Ditto TFT. If you must, the one in PCB on Middle Beach Rd will be the quickest to get to due to less traffic there than Destin.

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

For the hassle alone, Publix is much better. Walmart has great prices on sunscreen and a few other items and has many other things to offer over the grocery stores, however, everything you need for the beach is available at reasonable prices in SoWal without having to make the hour and ten minute round trip drive. Whatever you do, if you want to avoid the crowds at Walmart or Publix you better go in the wee hours of the morning or the weekdays.

8. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Isn't there a Sam's in PC? Seems to me, if buying supplies for 35 people, bulk buying would be the way to go.

9. Paige

Paige Beach Lover

I was just thinking the same thing. Where is the Sam's in PCB?

10. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

there's a sams on 23rd street way east (almost to 231)

to make it worthwhile, go to the wal-mart in pcb after 5pm and have an early dinner while you are there at pompano's (right next door)

order the shrimp pompano for an appetizer

then order the whole grilled pompano with drawn butter and two forks

flip a coin for who gets what

the winner starts at the head and the loser gets to start at the tail

meet in the middle - can be either romantic or an epic battle!

then flip it and toss again

save some snail rolls and honey butter for me

oops, i shouldn't have gone there - 2 more hours to lunch and now i'm hoongry for some pompano in drawn butter!

11. lindatat

lindatat quirty

Agree completely with SJ & Kurt about Publix. With the exception of the beach toys at the front of the store, I thought their prices were well in line with what I pay here at home. Even purchased a very nice blow dryer there and it was only $16. I don't think it would have been any cheaper at Wal-mart. With the price of gas and the traffic on 98, I wouldn't shop anywhere but Publix unless they didn't have something I needed.

P.S. And they don't even require you to sign up for a frequent shopper card to get sale prices (all the other grocery stores I know of have them.)

12. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

If we "have to" we go to the Wally world in PCB, Destin traffic is a nightmare :eek: Hope you have a great vacation !!!!!!!!!! :cool:

13. TinyTrailerTandemDogTrot

TinyTrailerTandemDogTrot Beach Comber

In 1992 we honeymooned in Seaside, went to Sams in PCB to stock up on staples... and never left the house!!! :wub:

14. Diane4145

Diane4145 Beach Fanatic

Don't forget about Walmart on 331, around Defuniak, if you're coming southbound! Might be a little congested, but you'll have crowds :sosad: most anywhere, this time of the year! I agree, late night/early morning, are the best! :clap_1: Also, I use http://www.mapquest.com, for everything! It'll provide exact locations, directions, precise mileage and estimated time to get there. http://www.walmart.com Be careful and have a great 4th!

15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Mapquest may give directions but it can be deceptive if you are basing the travel time on proximity. For example, usually stores in Ft Walton are closer than Panama City, yet I can typically get to PC more quickly without having to battle as much traffic during the season.

16. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

There is a Wallmart or maybe it's a Sam's in Andelusia (sp?). If you come through there on your way down you could stop there.

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I bet if Paige is buying goods for 35 people, she will have to unload the bus before she goes shopping. That is typically why most beach goers don't stop at the one in Defuniak.

18. Paige

Paige Beach Lover

You are right, we will have to unload first.

19. imasunbum

imasunbum Beach Fanatic

The WalMart in PCB is definitely more convenient to Seagrove. That is where I go...but I go extremely early or extremely late. It is usually very crowed.

20. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

Bingo......unless you are Ktschris (hee hee) she will put groceries on kids laps or hang them out the window just so she doesn't have to leave the beach and shop later :floor: