• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
...and, I believe( if my info is correct) he is a former federal employee, so he was most likely very familiar with the Hatch Act. Most of us knew exactly what we could and could not do as far as political activies are concerned.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
...and, I believe( if my info is correct) he is a former federal employee, so he was most likely very familiar with the Hatch Act. Most of us knew exactly what we could and could not do as far as political activies are concerned.
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I worked 16 years for the state of Oklahoma and it appeared the only employees who knew anything about the Hatch Act were those that were politically active. It is an antiquated piece of legislation and needs to be repealed or at least strigently revised, IMO.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
well being a state employee you might not know; but, when I was a federal employee, we were all required to acknowledge receipt of a document that informed us of what we were able to do. I was only pointing out if Mr. Imfeld was in fact a former federal employee, he probably had to sign the same kind of document.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I worked 16 years for the state of Oklahoma and it appeared the only employees who knew anything about the Hatch Act were those that were politically active. It is an antiquated piece of legislation and needs to be repealed or at least strigently revised, IMO.

Wow! then we could go back to corrupt elections. perfect. The Hatch Act of 1939 may have been created a long time ago, but much of it is still very pertinent to us today, if you believe in a fair and honest system of voting. There might be a few things to tweak, but for the most part, I believe it to be a good thing which protects the public and individual voters, as well as the candidates running.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Wow! then we could go back to corrupt elections. perfect. The Hatch Act of 1939 may have been created a long time ago, but much of it is still very pertinent to us today, if you believe in a fair and honest system of voting. There might be a few things to tweak, but for the most part, I believe it to be a good thing which protects the public and individual voters, as well as the candidates running.
And even you will have to agree, takes away many of the rights of political participation by those who happen to work for a government.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
And even you will have to agree, takes away many of the rights of political participation by those who happen to work for a government.

You have to work in a specific part of government and wish to run in a partisan election. Plus you always can resign and do what you wish. Resign-to-run laws are pretty common for government employees, in addition to local policies that also have this requirement.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

No, I don't agree. The Hatch Act does not take aways one's right to run for office. It, in some cases, restricts the rights of one to do so, but it doesn't remove one's right to run for political office. I will add that it does so in order to protect the public.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Is there a real reason why the Sheriff's race is partisan? I've never followed the Sheriff's race closely, but the partisan issue crossed my mind last time. What part of the Sheriff's job dictates a need to be affiliated with a party?

It seems to me that the Sheriff is charged with enforcing laws, not making them and enforcement of the law should obviously be non-partisan. :lol:

I don't disagree with the Hatch Act really, just the fact that an elected law enforcement position requires partisanship.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Is there a real reason why the Sheriff's race is partisan? I've never followed the Sheriff's race closely, but the partisan issue crossed my mind last time. What part of the Sheriff's job dictates a need to be affiliated with a party?

It seems to me that the Sheriff is charged with enforcing laws, not making them and enforcement of the law should obviously be non-partisan. :lol:

I don't disagree with the Hatch Act really, just the fact that an elected law enforcement position requires partisanship.

I imagine this is all covered in the Florida Constitution. Chater counties are allowed to declare races as non-partisan, but with the exception of judges races, which Florida Statute prohibits party participation, it really does not matter. If you end up with a Registered D vs a Registered R, you are going to see a huge amount of money flowing into a race from the parties, who are not restricted by the same fundraising limits.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Does a lawyer have to give up his practice to run for office? Does a small business owner have to sell his business to run for office? Does a farmer have to quit farming to run for office? Why should a non elected government worker have to give up his livlihood to run for office when if he loses he's out of a job? He should be entitiled to a level playing field just like everybody else. And he isn't. In some places, I am told, he cannot even run for city council.