• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Does a lawyer have to give up his practice to run for office? Does a small business owner have to sell his business to run for office? Does a farmer have to quit farming to run for office? Why should a non elected government worker have to give up his livlihood to run for office when if he loses he's out of a job? He should be entitiled to a level playing field just like everybody else. And he isn't. In some places, I am told, he cannot even run for city council.

But that is a condition of the job. You know that going in or should find out if that is your plan for the future. It is done to prevent public service people from doing favors with OPM (other people's money) to get votes. Of course the farmer gives you veggies, but they are his to give, not ours.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
But that is a condition of the job. You know that going in or should find out if that is your plan for the future. It is done to prevent public service people from doing favors with OPM (other people's money) to get votes. Of course the farmer gives you veggies, but they are his to give, not ours.
Actually, a farmer giving veggies in return for votes is illegal, according to the Hatch Act of 1939. ;-)

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I understand the reasons against it, but in some ways it seems short-sighted that someone who actually understands how government finances actually works, not be allowed to run for an office where government finances have been an issue unless they become unemployed. I have always thought it would be helpful for elected politicians to have at one time or another actually work in government and it would be better if they were working in the same level that they were trying to get elected in; i.e. local government running for local sheriff.

I guess its like any system though abuses can be made for personal gain but since the only way that Imfeld would have been able to oversee a grant would have been for the County Commission to pursue it. Then in actuality, the Grant Coordinator would really be overseeing most if not all of them. It just seems like in this one situation, Imfeld is third down on the Chain of Command below the BCC and Administrator Ronnie Bell so I don't see how he could have been selecting grants to help selected individuals without their support. So, is there anyone in Walton County Government that can run for elected office without resigning?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So, is there anyone in Walton County Government that can run for elected office without resigning?
The Hatch Act isn't a failsafe way to keep corruption out of gov't, but it is a start at trying to limit corruption. There are many people who can run for public office without resigning. Some of our elected officials continue to have other jobs. Now you couldn't run, but I could.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
The Hatch Act isn't a failsafe way to keep corruption out of gov't, but it is a start at trying to limit corruption. There are many people who can run for public office without resigning. Some of our elected officials continue to have other jobs. Now you couldn't run, but I could.

I am not sure why you could and I couldn't since I don't work for government either, but MORE IMPORTANTLY I can tell you one thing for sure I WOULDN'T. So, don't worry about explaining it to me ;-). Unless you were going to be my running mate of course. :lol:

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
This is a very unfortunate turn of events. Bill Imfeld was and will remain, the most qualified candidate for Sheriff this County has seen in a very long time. It is a sad state of affairs when the current elected sheriff has to seek legal counsel to find a loop hole from 1939 to try to eliminate the man who was going to be the next Sheriff in Walton County. Why can't the current sheriff run a campaign and get the votes of the people? The reason is that he senses defeat and is running scared. Like any coward, instead of taking a head on approach, he goes the back door. The current sheriff knows he can't measure up to Bill Imfeld, not many, if any candidates can.

What is really sad is that when you break it all down, all the sheriff has done is prevented the citizens of Walton County, the voters, the voice of the community, from having the opportunity to CHOOSE its elected Sheriff for the next four years. Great Job with that one. It measures up with the firing of two pregnant females, loosing taxpayers money, failing to withhold tax money for his employees, promoting unqualified employees to positions of high authority (only to recently put them back where they belong), the list goes on and on and on.

People of Walton County need to wake up and realize that in a world of global terrorism, violent criminals, illegal immigration and numerous other serious issues, a true leader needs to be in office in the Walton County Sheriff's Office. That leader is and will remain to be, Bill Imfeld.

What ever does not kill you, makes you stronger.

Thank you.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I am not sure why you could and I couldn't since I don't work for government either, but MORE IMPORTANTLY I can tell you one thing for sure I WOULDN'T. So, don't worry about explaining it to me ;-). Unless you were going to be my running mate of course. :lol:
I never said that I would, either. Wait, I believe that I am mistaken. I actually once said that I would run right after Kurt decided to run. :funn:

The reason why I could run and you couldn't is because you don't live in Walton County as your primary residence, do you? Maybe you do, but ... just thought otherwise.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Please identify the loop hole. The Hatch Act is an actual Federal law, at least I have been led to believe it is.
I agree, and will point out that Bill would not be legally able to run even if the Sheriff didn't point out the Hatch Act. Can you imagine Bill getting elected, then having the office ripped out from under him when it comes up later? Better to step out now and not face charges later. The Sheriff didn't make the law, but it seems to me that one aspect of the Sheriff's job is to stop the laws from being broken. I know this has much dirt behind it, but perhaps it could be said that the Sheriff was just doing his job.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I agree, and will point out that Bill would not be legally able to run even if the Sheriff didn't point out the Hatch Act. Can you imagine Bill getting elected, then having the office ripped out from under him when it comes up later? Better to step out now and not face charges later. The Sheriff didn't make the law, but it seems to me that one aspect of the Sheriff's job is to stop the laws from being broken. I know this has much dirt behind it, but perhaps it could be said that the Sheriff was just doing his job.

In this case, while certainly not palatable to the public, it is a valid statement. But for those that want change there are still a half dozen persons exploring the option of running. The pay and power appears to be very alluring. I guess we will have to see just how they stack up in qualifications against the current administration.