• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SHELLY said:
Not misconduct...just over compensated (not a newsflash in the corporate world).

Every investor is different, personally, considering the current economy and given the choice between investing in a company where the insiders are saying good things and not buying shares in their own company and those who are saying positive things and purchasing shares in their companies--I would tend to choose the latter.
I have positive things to say about many parcels of property, but I am not buying them, because I don't have the pockets to buy everything that I deem to be a good value. I wonder if this happens with the execs which you mention in general. Also, perhaps they are smart enought to diversify. I am sure they have their share (pun intended) of their own company. ;-)

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
GreenWaveDave said:
I think I created a monster.

Maybe we should just close this one out, learn from our mistakes, and move on to a new thread.......

OK...let's wait until after JOE reports the quarter ;-)

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
SHELLY said:
Not misconduct...just over compensated (not a newsflash in the corporate world).

Every investor is different, personally, considering the current economy and given the choice between investing in a company where the insiders are saying good things and not buying shares in their own company and those who are saying positive things and purchasing shares in their companies--I would tend to choose the latter.

I don't understand why anyone would expect Peter Rummell to be buying StJoe stock. In 2004, when he began selling, I believe he owned something close to 2 million shares and share options. If he's selling at the rate of 20,000 per month it will take over 8 years to sell them all. He'll be 68 then. And since it's a significant portion of his compensation package...the compensation doesn't mean as much in the form of a stock certificate....just like
--"paper profits" and comps don't count.

Cap'nCrazy

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2005
Pittsburgh/Watercolor
A wise boss once said: "If you agree with everything I say, I wouldn't need you."[/QUOTE]

A wise boss does appreciate well thought out opinions that are different from his or her own but not strctly negative opinions. Who would? :dunno: How depressing!!! I certainly wouldn't want to go to work everyday and surround myself with negative people. Would you?

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
From Paula: I had the same thought. So, if you post anything related to real estate or in response to Shelly (or anything else here), it could become a quotation (used in or out of context) in a thesis.

Thanks Paula, at least I know I'm not crazy for having this thought!!

I'm laughing hysterically :rotfl: at this entire discussion....perhaps we can call ourselves

"HOT BUTTON" GUINEA PIGS!!
or something guinea pigs....you guys are a lot more creative!

Love being in this :rotfl: research lab!! January has never been this much fun!!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
GreenWaveDave said:
I think I created a monster.

Maybe we should just close this one out, learn from our mistakes, and move on to a new thread.......

GreenWaveDave:

The topic is a very useful one. I have some Joe stock and am holding on to it. I have mutual funds that range from conservative to risky to balance the risk with Joe. And I own property that I love and will always love in SoWal so I'm emotionally as well as financially invested in the community.

I was concerned, though, that most real estate discussions are now being hijacked by one-track-negative thinking and it was getting hard to learn anything or build on each other's comments. I felt like one or two people were getting their thrills from "yanking our chains" (as we used to say growing up), so the discussions were getting increasingly tiresome rather than helpful. So, let's see if we can get back on track with this one because understanding Joe, as well as other real estate issues, can be very interesting and useful.

As for me, I'm hanging in there with Joe, in part, because I don't have too much invested -- just enough to make it interesting. I've read the book Green Empire and I felt it was cautiously optimistic about Joe in terms of Joe's impact on the environment (that was my read of it, someone else could have read it differently). I watch the analyst reports and they are all over the map regarding Joe, though most suggest holding on to stock (and I assume they know about the CEO selling shares). The analysts on Yahoo say "hold" or "buy" -- not sell. Schwab rates it poorly. Reuters says the average is "outperform" with "buy" and "hold". Standard and Poor gives it a "b" which is low-middle in their rankings.

Personally, I try to think long-term and not short-term. For example, I ask myself whether the active and powerful hurricane seasons are a long-term or short-term thing and does this make it bad for 30A or will it increase values on 30A because so much of the area is so high up on dunes. I assume people will continue to want to move to Florida and the coast, and they will be increasingly interested in places with high elevations. And, of course, I do my best to make the SoWal community the kind of community people want to buy into so that they, too, can enjoy "the good life".

So, thanks GreenWaveDave for starting this thread.

Last edited:

GreenWaveDave

Beach Lover
Oct 24, 2005
Speaking of the stock market, I already see the writing on the wall.....

Many of us (including Peter Rummel, JOE CEO) feel that much of the real estate slow down in '05 has been driven by the negative media frenzy. Well now I think the tide is going to turn.

It appears that the media has found it's new focus, which is being bullish on the stock market in '06. Watch, all you will see and hear about now is how great the stock market and economy look moving forward. Real Estate bashing will start to loose it's luster with the media and I think that in turn will do nothing but help ease unwarranted fear and uncertainty in the minds of potential real estate investors.