• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GreenWaveDave

Beach Lover
Oct 24, 2005
St. Joe CEO sees strong housing demand
Peter Rummell, CEO of The St. Joe Company, Florida's largest landowner, says retiring baby boomers continue to move into the state in large numbers, resulting in strong demand for housing despite hurricanes and higher interest rates.

Hopefully this link will work......
http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/quotes.asp?symb=joe&siteid=mktw&dist=mktwqn

The St. Joe CEO did a broadcast interview on CBS MarketWatch. He blamed the relative slowdown in '05 on the early and strong hurricane season and the negative media frenzy. The statistic he likes the most is that on average 1,200 people are moving into FL per day. He thinks we are just at the beginning of a boom in FL that will last for years to come.....

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
GreenWaveDave said:
Peter Rummell, CEO of The St. Joe Company, Florida's largest landowner, says retiring baby boomers continue to move into the state in large numbers, resulting in strong demand for housing despite hurricanes and higher interest rates.
The St. Joe CEO did a broadcast interview on CBS MarketWatch. He thinks we are just at the beginning of a boom in FL that will last for years to come.....

He certainly HOPES the boom will last...considering he's been cashing out his shares of JOE hand-over-fist for months & months:

Rummell Insider Selling of JOE

But hey, $1.3+ million per month don't go as far in Florida as it used to--the company's shareholders certainly understand that. :blink:

Last edited:

GreenWaveDave

Beach Lover
Oct 24, 2005
Good call Shelly. You're right, St. Joe is probably the next Enron. I bet they won't even exist in a year or two once everyone realizes all the land they own is swamp land........You called it!

Maybe they'll be the focus of your upcoming thesis.

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
GreenWaveDave said:
Good call Shelly. You're right, St. Joe is probably the next Enron. I bet they won't even exist in a year or two once everyone realizes all the land they own is swamp land........You called it!

Maybe they'll be the focus of your upcoming thesis.

:clap_1:

:lol:

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
Shelly, I may have missed this somewhere....is your thesis for a degree or for a publication or specifically what? You may have mentioned this previously, but I have an interest in publication and am more than curious?
Thanks!

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Shelly is a fictional character created to inspire misgivings and virtual angst. He/she is not part of the world of accademia or of business. Shelly is a signpost in a two-dimensional world: fear and loathing. :pissed: :sosad: :eek:

GreenWaveDave said:

That's a slight exaggeration, I'd say.
The amount of scrutiny St Joe receives would forestall any Enron-type of scenario. And not all their land is wet.
It's been interesting watching what other developers try to get away with: I've seen a couple doozies in the short time I've been here.
But you don't read about those because they don't make good copy the way St Joe does.
BTW: your link doesn't work for me, Dave, but here is a link that does have the "approximately 1,200 people" quote
Rummell

Last edited:

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Donna said:
Shelly is a fictional character created to inspire misgivings and virtual angst. He/she is not part of the world of accademia or of business. Shelly is a signpost in a two-dimensional world: fear and loathing. :pissed: :sosad: :eek:
Outstanding summary

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SHELLY said:
He certainly HOPES the boom will last...considering he's been cashing out his shares of JOE hand-over-fist for months & months:

Rummell Insider Selling of JOE

But hey, $1.3+ million per month don't go as far in Florida as it used to--the company's shareholders certainly understand that. :blink:

The founders of Google are also selling stock, about $43,000,000 per week. Does this mean Google, too, is headed south? (Not trying to change the subject) Many people think that Google, not Microsoft, is set to take over the world.