• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paige

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2005
Arkansas
I would not buy any stock hoping for a private equity take over right now. The private equity firms are being squeezed by the banks.

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
The state of Florida, & expecially northwest coastal Florida (Joe Country) has
so many problems now that buying Joe would probably not be a prudent move maybe unless it hits 20 or so. Their developments have stalled, the current
Florida real estate environment is at historic low levels, the demand for Joes inventory (building lots) is dismal given the historic high levels of foreclosed homes and a five year supply of new homes on the market at present. The current problems are not getting solved and Florida and Joe will continue to suffer.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
JOE's conference call is on Tuesday, Jul 31...will be interesting to see how they spin the current and future markets and gloss over how their stock is trading at the 2004 price level.

Given the current state of affairs with conventional stick-home-builders, I imagine they'll really talk up their most current strategic alliance with the modular homebuilder they're using for their WaterSound properties.

I won't be too surprised if we get some kind of "Airport Update" on Jul 30 so Pete can put a happy face on JOE's future.....we'll see.

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Shelly, there's talk about Joe using modular homes at other Joe communities. There are physical and architectural limitations on modular construction. Joe has never been one to do something like this.This demonstrates how desperate they are and rightfully so. I think they are trying to hit a lower price point with a smaller home with generic designs. The airport is their only holy grail & could be the shot that would gradually turn things around. And then if things get really ugly, maybe rates will drop way down again, it is a bad situation but they have always pulled things out.......what do you think?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Shelly, there's talk about Joe using modular homes at other Joe communities. There are physical and architectural limitations on modular construction. Joe has never been one to do something like this.This demonstrates how desperate they are and rightfully so. I think they are trying to hit a lower price point with a smaller home with generic designs. The airport is their only holy grail & could be the shot that would gradually turn things around. And then if things get really ugly, maybe rates will drop way down again, it is a bad situation but they have always pulled things out.......what do you think?

There are also physical and architectural limitation when building on postage stamp size lots. Remember that JOE paid almost nothing for its property, so they can still profit from selling lots for cheap. Now that might not sit well with shareholders because all they care about is the stock price moving up, which has more to do with public opinion rather than business fundamentals.

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Smiling Joe, agreed, & it would not sit well either with other lot owners & homeowners who have paid much more for their lots & houses. There is almost no way out for Joe here, but self preservation is a strong motivator.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
St. Joe as an entity has been around for almost 80 years !!! Every industry, as well as the economy in general, have their hiccups and catastrophes. It is all part of the natural ebb and flow called the business cycle. As sure as day follows nite, the real estate mkt and St. Joe the stock, will recover and prosper. The antidote is time and and further pain. The analogy is cancer. The patient needs surgery, chemo therapy, and recuperative time to return to health. I think the surgery has been performed and chemo is now being administered. If ones has a longer term perspective, the present condition offers a wonderful opty. Be prudent and use common sense. Don't gamble with the rent money. As the bible says, "THIS TOO SHALL PASS".

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
St. Joe as an entity has been around for almost 80 years !!! Every industry, as well as the economy in general, have their hiccups and catastrophes. It is all part of the natural ebb and flow called the business cycle. As sure as day follows nite, the real estate mkt and St. Joe the stock, will recover and prosper. The antidote is time and and further pain. The analogy is cancer. The patient needs surgery, chemo therapy, and recuperative time to return to health. I think the surgery has been performed and chemo is now being administered. If ones has a longer term perspective, the present condition offers a wonderful opty. Be prudent and use common sense. Don't gamble with the rent money. As the bible says, "THIS TOO SHALL PASS".

Agreed! I would imagine that any smart developer would understand the often predictable cycle or roller coaster ride (possibly more apt term) of real estate and housing- what goes up will come down and will go up again - eventually.