Is Queen Bee Cupcakes open yet?

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by tide12, Jun 3, 2009.

1. tide12

tide12 Beach Lover

If so, what varieties of cupcakes are typically available? Hours of operation?

2. BeachbumAggie

BeachbumAggie Beach Fanatic

they had an opening soon sign out the other day and didn't appear open when we drove by today.

3. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

They have been open for a couple of days now. I think they open at 10 or 11am and close about 10 or 11pm.

4. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

This kind of reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit, "just tape" about a store in the mall that sold just tape. I hope they know what they're doing.

5. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Cupcakes are a pretty big business nationally. Google "cupcake store" or "cupcake shop" and you will find them in every major city.

What a great addition to Seaside and SoWal- cupcakes make normal days into special days. Who can frown while eating a cupcake?

6. CincyBeachGirl

CincyBeachGirl Beach Lover

Cupcakes are the "it" thing in the bigger cities. Women are using them in lieu of wedding cakes and the decorating and creativity is off the hook. These are not your out of the box cupcakes. I can't wait to have a taste!

7. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Well, we finally made the stop by this afternoon. I have to tell ya that I was a bit taken aback when we saw the $3.50 each sign but I expected something proportionate to the price. It was not. Though the selection was pretty broad they are normal sized cupcakes that you would make at home. I felt that the quality was sub par to things that I have bought at Modica's and I'm not a huge Modica fan but they do have quality stuff.

We will call mulligan on this first visit and hope that our next visit will be better.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  8. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Display the cakes

I would like to see the cupcakes! Visual appeal is the main thing with a "cute" product. I bet this is especially true for kids. Always happy to see more baked goods!

9. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Amy, that is one of the things that we commented on. The icing was bagged on but not all over the top. Since the top of the cupcake is not very big I'd say that the icing was in the area about the size of a 50 cent piece.

10. Deli Love

Deli Love Beach Fanatic

I didn't know you weren't a Modica fan, sorry to hear that!
    Ms. Lisa does do good cupcakes and her price is right but she can't do them everyday. The price did take me back a little but I was given a locals discount that helped soften the blow. I wish I could tell you about the quality but Nevaeh and Kaylee didn't share! I do think they were small for the price and I would like to see a sample of the cup cake myself but then I know from Modica that eye appeal is a big part of taste.

11. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Since their neighbors are selling cookies for $3.50 they are comparable on price. $3.50 for a cupcake seems pricey, but $3.50 for a dessert at a local restaurant or deli counter is a bargain, so it's all your perspective.

12. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Deli, I didn't mean that I don't like Modica's in fact, when I have a chance I'm all over the raspberry/cream cheese danish! It is priced right and so are the little biscuits in the morning, which are comparable in size to QB's cupcakes.

IDK, I have said before that my pallet isn't sophisticated enough for this area. Something doesn't have to cost a lot to taste good to me. It seems that some people can convince themselves that something taste good simply because it was pricey. I just can't do it.

I'm spoiled too because Sally is an awesome baker and could easily open a shop if she weren't busy with her regular job.

I wish QB luck but I think an adjustment in price will be necessary to hold local customers. Like someone told me recently, many of the restaurants around here are looking for one time tourist customers that don't mind paying "Seaside" prices. I don't mind paying more if I'm getting a good value.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  13. Deli Love

Deli Love Beach Fanatic

OK I sell a really good slice of cake for $8.98 a slice! I can't fuss about pricing at all. I got word from the girls that the cup cakes were yummy! I'd pay $3.00 each to make them happy so I'll treat the girls from there again. I haven't bought a cookie yet but I am happy with my sliders! I also like the candy from the candy store. If I choose to shop in Seaside, I know I will pay a little more than if I bought it at a store in a normal town.

14. HeyJude

HeyJude Beach Comber

I, too, was totally shocked by the prices when I saw them while driving by but, at that first passby, told myself they probably were the "over-sized" variety. I was floored when a few days later, I was given one by someone and amazed to see, not only were the cupcakes not over-sized, they were bordering on miniature. At $3.75/cupcake, I felt like my friend had gotten ripped off.

The positive? It was a yummy treat. And there are people who, when on vacation, will spend that kind of money and maybe not think too much about it. That is obviously who their target customer is. Which is great!! I wish them all the best!

The bottom line for myself as a local - There is no added value to justify the expense for me so I probably won't be back until prices come down. In this economy, there has to be the trifecta of quality, reasonable pricing and consistency to earn my year-round business.

15. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

I agree totally with the "trifecta of quality". I'm afraid that we may have to wait until the off season to get better pricing. Like when Deli's slice of delicious slice of carrot cake drops back down to a reasonable $3.98 :clap:

16. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Modica cake slices are very generous- enough for two! And some cakes are really expensive to produce. I am often surprised at how much I spend when I bake at home. Butter and chocolate ain't cheap. If the treat is wonderful, I can overlook the price occasionally.

17. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

The cake at Modica's excellent and I was talking about their off season price.

18. Deli Love

Deli Love Beach Fanatic

I am a big fan of the family who produce most of our cakes. I wont pass on how expensive they are but the profit is not that much. My heart is with the pudding and yes, I buy the cup cakes for the girls.
    Thanks for the kind words! I hope we can help Queen Bee make a success of their cup cake business!
    If they read this thread it might make them see the price thing.

19. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Deli, I have have to stop by this week, it has been a while since I've had a slice of that carrot cake. I may not be able to wait until October, it is so yummy!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  20. Deli Love

Deli Love Beach Fanatic

Look for me, I'm there till around 3:00 ish. I'll be the Deli Love in the Orange hat... oh and orange crocks!