• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Since their neighbors are selling cookies for $3.50 they are comparable on price. $3.50 for a cupcake seems pricey, but $3.50 for a dessert at a local restaurant or deli counter is a bargain, so it's all your perspective.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Deli, I didn't mean that I don't like Modica's in fact, when I have a chance I'm all over the raspberry/cream cheese danish! It is priced right and so are the little biscuits in the morning, which are comparable in size to QB's cupcakes.

IDK, I have said before that my pallet isn't sophisticated enough for this area. Something doesn't have to cost a lot to taste good to me. It seems that some people can convince themselves that something taste good simply because it was pricey. I just can't do it.

I'm spoiled too because Sally is an awesome baker and could easily open a shop if she weren't busy with her regular job.

I wish QB luck but I think an adjustment in price will be necessary to hold local customers. Like someone told me recently, many of the restaurants around here are looking for one time tourist customers that don't mind paying "Seaside" prices. I don't mind paying more if I'm getting a good value.

Last edited:

Deli Love

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2008
MidWal???
OK I sell a really good slice of cake for $8.98 a slice! I can't fuss about pricing at all. I got word from the girls that the cup cakes were yummy! I'd pay $3.00 each to make them happy so I'll treat the girls from there again. I haven't bought a cookie yet but I am happy with my sliders! I also like the candy from the candy store. If I choose to shop in Seaside, I know I will pay a little more than if I bought it at a store in a normal town.

HeyJude

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
I, too, was totally shocked by the prices when I saw them while driving by but, at that first passby, told myself they probably were the "over-sized" variety. I was floored when a few days later, I was given one by someone and amazed to see, not only were the cupcakes not over-sized, they were bordering on miniature. At $3.75/cupcake, I felt like my friend had gotten ripped off.

The positive? It was a yummy treat. And there are people who, when on vacation, will spend that kind of money and maybe not think too much about it. That is obviously who their target customer is. Which is great!! I wish them all the best!

The bottom line for myself as a local - There is no added value to justify the expense for me so I probably won't be back until prices come down. In this economy, there has to be the trifecta of quality, reasonable pricing and consistency to earn my year-round business.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
I, too, was totally shocked by the prices when I saw them while driving by but, at that first passby, told myself they probably were the "over-sized" variety. I was floored when a few days later, I was given one by someone and amazed to see, not only were the cupcakes not over-sized, they were bordering on miniature. At $3.75/cupcake, I felt like my friend had gotten ripped off.

The positive? It was a yummy treat. And there are people who, when on vacation, will spend that kind of money and maybe not think too much about it. That is obviously who their target customer is. Which is great!! I wish them all the best!

The bottom line for myself as a local - There is no added value to justify the expense for me so I probably won't be back until prices come down. In this economy, there has to be the trifecta of quality, reasonable pricing and consistency to earn my year-round business.

I agree totally with the "trifecta of quality". I'm afraid that we may have to wait until the off season to get better pricing. Like when Deli's slice of delicious slice of carrot cake drops back down to a reasonable $3.98 :clap:

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
I agree totally with the "trifecta of quality". I'm afraid that we may have to wait until the off season to get better pricing. Like when Deli's slice of delicious slice of carrot cake drops back down to a reasonable $3.98 :clap:
Modica cake slices are very generous- enough for two! And some cakes are really expensive to produce. I am often surprised at how much I spend when I bake at home. Butter and chocolate ain't cheap. If the treat is wonderful, I can overlook the price occasionally.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Modica cake slices are very generous- enough for two! And some cakes are really expensive to produce. I am often surprised at how much I spend when I bake at home. Butter and chocolate ain't cheap. If the treat is wonderful, I can overlook the price occasionally.

The cake at Modica's excellent and I was talking about their off season price.

Deli Love

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2008
MidWal???
I am a big fan of the family who produce most of our cakes. I wont pass on how expensive they are but the profit is not that much. My heart is with the pudding and yes, I buy the cup cakes for the girls.
Thanks for the kind words! I hope we can help Queen Bee make a success of their cup cake business!
If they read this thread it might make them see the price thing.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Deli, I have have to stop by this week, it has been a while since I've had a slice of that carrot cake. I may not be able to wait until October, it is so yummy!

Last edited:

Deli Love

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2008
MidWal???
Deli, I have have to stop by this week, it has been a while since I've had a slice of that carrot cake. I may not be able to wait until October, it is so yummy!

Look for me, I'm there till around 3:00 ish. I'll be the Deli Love in the Orange hat... oh and orange crocks!