• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Paula said:
Just wondering if the fountain at the Villages of South Walton is completed yet. Someone on this board said they were trying to complete it by March 20. Any photos of a completed fountain yet? It's near one of my favorite ice cream shops on 30A - the Carvel ice cream place.

We went to Carvels at my moms last week. My step-dad is from New York (where they originated) and he was so excited to show us this place. They have the smoothest, creamiest ice cream and it doesn't give you brain freeze! The kids loved the sprinkle dispenser.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks for letting me know. We'll see it ourselves soon. But if anyone takes a photo while it's on, please post it. I heard it was going to have multi-color lights, but that may not be true.

lindatat

quirty
Jul 14, 2005
Too far from the beach (Chicago 'Burbs)
Paula said:
Thanks for letting me know. We'll see it ourselves soon. But if anyone takes a photo while it's on, please post it. I heard it was going to have multi-color lights, but that may not be true.

Paula, just curious - how far is this fountain from the cottages? Sounds like something my kids would enjoy when we visit.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
This is huge news CCK and InletBeachDweller. Thank you! We are so lucky, the fountain is less than two blocks from our house. We are headed up Friday and our kids and my niece and nephew (all 6 and under) will be sure to test it out. I'll try to get pics of it up and running. :clap_1:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
lindabobhat said:
Paula, just curious - how far is this fountain from the cottages? Sounds like something my kids would enjoy when we visit.

Hi Lindabobhat:

The fountain is on the green of the Villages of South Walton, which is just 1 mile east of our cottages. Our kids will love the fountain when they see it. We find that there is plenty for us to do on our side of 30A now with Fonville Press (lovely coffee shop with very nice courtyard with free wireless access if you bring a laptop -- also great place to sit and read a book -- there are also after beach wine and appetizers on Friday and Saturday nights and I'll attend my first one on May 6) just 1/2 mile (an easy walk) from the cottage and it tends to be quiet early in the morning if you have any early risers who want to take a walk. Then there's the Villages of South Walton 1 mile away with the fountain, Seacrest cafe (sandwiches and other meals, as well as great Carvel Ice cream and desserts with plenty of seating inside and outside), and some shops and kiosks. Then there's Rosemary Beach right after Villages of South walton with shops, restaurants and an outdoor craft market about every other weekend in the summer (we like to get ice cream and then go to the fountain at Rosemary Beach that you can turn on and off -- the kids love that fountain although I don't know the exact street name at Rosemary Beach -- perhaps someone else on this board knows the address of that fountain). Then there's Shades by the Loop with useful wireless Internet access and great oyster po'boy sandwiches. All of these places are easy for families.

When we want to venture off the east end of 30A, we go west to Seagrove (4 miles) for Angelinas, Seaside (6 miles), Grayton State Park (9 miles and well worth the trip), and Grayton Beach (10 miles).

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Was at lunch yesterday at Seacrest Cafe and fountain wasn't on. Will have to try to catch a pic if I ever get these taxes done :roll: .

BTW, looks like Seacrest Cafe won't be getting their liquor license just yet. Talked to them yesterday and apparently the county wanted way too much to give the license so on hold for now :bang: . I was looking for a place to get slushed and stumble home. :lol: . Kidding, wish I could still be a kid but those days are long gone! Anyway a martini before dinner would have been nice. They do have wine and beer though :lolabove:

MKH

Beach Fanatic
May 12, 2005
Memphis, TN/Seacrest Beach, FL
Paula said:
Hi Lindabobhat:

The fountain is on the green of the Villages of South Walton, which is just 1 mile east of our cottages. Our kids will love the fountain when they see it. We find that there is plenty for us to do on our side of 30A now with Fonville Press (lovely coffee shop with very nice courtyard with free wireless access if you bring a laptop -- also great place to sit and read a book -- there are also after beach wine and appetizers on Friday and Saturday nights and I'll attend my first one on May 6) just 1/2 mile (an easy walk) from the cottage and it tends to be quiet early in the morning if you have any early risers who want to take a walk. Then there's the Villages of South Walton 1 mile away with the fountain, Seacrest cafe (sandwiches and other meals, as well as great Carvel Ice cream and desserts with plenty of seating inside and outside), and some shops and kiosks. Then there's Rosemary Beach right after Villages of South walton with shops, restaurants and an outdoor craft market about every other weekend in the summer (we like to get ice cream and then go to the fountain at Rosemary Beach that you can turn on and off -- the kids love that fountain although I don't know the exact street name at Rosemary Beach -- perhaps someone else on this board knows the address of that fountain). Then there's Shades by the Loop with useful wireless Internet access and great oyster po'boy sandwiches. All of these places are easy for families.

When we want to venture off the east end of 30A, we go west to Seagrove (4 miles) for Angelinas, Seaside (6 miles), Grayton State Park (9 miles and well worth the trip), and Grayton Beach (10 miles).

Paula, the after beach wine and appetizers on Friday and Saturday night? You said you would be attending your first one on May 6-is that when they start? Are they only doing that at certain times?

We love Rosemary Beach and all the new businesses! We were there last May and enjoyed ourselves at Blue by Night. Where is Fonville Press?

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
MKH:

We're happy with the nice places we have now on our end of 30A. Fonville Press is about 1/2 mile west of the Seacrest Beach Development right at the entrance of Alys Beach (it is part of Alys Beach and has the same look and feel -- the courtyard is very calming). I haven't been to the wine and appetizer events and don't remember exactly what time they start, but others on this board do. I heard there were quite a lot of people there recently.

I haven't gotten to know Rosemary Beach as well as I should by now. What are your favorite things to do (I have to try Blue by Night soon).

Best,
Paula

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
From a note in our Seacrest newsletter:

"The fountain will have 32 ground-level spray heads that will send streams of water from one to 14 feet in the air as controlled by a computer that choreographs the sprays with music. Each of these heads is surrounded by three spotlights that will provide a sensational view of the water streams after dark. There will also be a small cluster of continuously spraying heads. ... For safety, all of the wiring is low voltage. The water will be stored in a tank below ground and chlorinated. A low barrier of shrubs will be in place to prevent children from running from the fountain toward Highway 30-A."

:clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Well, get the darn thing open already!!! :cool: