• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
I may have started a thread on this subject before but not sure. My son's Shih Tzu Barney just constantly scratches and constantly chews and licks until he has very irritated red bumps. This is at his backside above the base of his tail. I wash him in Head and Shoulders sensitive skin shampoo, it used to keep him clear but something is causing him problems. He has had a cortizone shot, cannot have another one, he is given a Loratadine 10mg every morning for the problem with allergies, on the place that is very irritated I use hydrocortisone spray which has always helped in the past but does not appear to be now. I have picked numerous fleas off of him over the past several weeks but I have only seen maybe 3 on him over the past week and look him over every day, wondering if all these places are flea bites or where he just chews. We have no answers to stop him from itching. I use Frontline on him once a month. Is this just a bad habit of his this chewing and licking of his I wonder. We hate to see him constantly irritated. Thanks.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Did the vet say it was allergies? My other pup used to get seasonal allergies, itching, hot spots. We had to give him the hydrocodone (i think ?) once daily during certain seasons. This was when he was older.

Also, he could never be washed with regular shampoo at the groomer. We had to supply special sensitive shampoo.

All these things helped relieve him during these particular times.

Some dogs react to food sensitivities by itching.

Good luck. Hopefully someone on the board with more dog experience will be able to suggest something.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Hey and thanks. She did say it was allergies. Sometimes his does look like hot spot. The shampoo we use on him is sensitive skin shampoo, as my son has always used it on him with good results in the past. If it is a grass allergy that is a problem as he does have to go out and tend to bathroom business. I guess they sell sensitive shampoo for dogs, will have to check the Petco petstore here. Or the vet. They said to give him the benadryl or the 10mg allergy pill daily. I may call the vet and see if they have any shampoo.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
The Vet will have shampoos for the problem and they are the best to decide what to give him. I can't imagine that dandruff shampoo is what he needs.

Fleas can definitely cause problems even if you are not seeing them and the base of the tail is a definitely problem area.

Also food allergies are very common especially to dog foods that have corn and wheat in them. You need to discuss this with the Vet.

snowman

Beach Lover
Apr 1, 2008
i also read that 2 drops of iodine in the dog's water will help get rid of anything. it is a safe natural cure. you can look it up on the internet about iodine and pets. there is tons of info out there. it beats all the vet bills.:D

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Find dog shampoo with an oatmeal base. The kind we use is called Relief and our vet carried it.

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
bless his heart. this made me think of
Flea.
Flea Fly.
Flea Fly Mosquito.
Kum a la, kum a la, kum a la vee sta.
Oh no, no not the vee sta.
Calamine, Calamine, Calamine Lotion
Oh, no more calamine lotion
Itchy, Itchy
Scratchy, Scratchy
eww I got one down my backy.
EEK! Goes the bugs when you get 'em with the bug spray!
EEK! Goes the bugs when you get 'em with the bug spray!
SHHHHH!!!
:lolabove::blush:

hope barney's better soon, lady d.

Last edited:

Roadroo

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Seagrove
I have been having issues with fleas for a month or so now even though we are starting to cool off. I have given up on front-line and Advantix. They really just stopped working for me. I am trying Comfortis (oral tablet) and so far so good. The problem is the fleas are still active outside and in order to control fleas on your pets you need to treat your whole environment. I am not really into using a bunch of chemicals at home, but about to try a garlic based spray to treat my yard. I have heard and read goods things about it. I am still thinking with the cooler weather just around the corner, I might want to wait until the spring. Also adding garlic powder, coconut and fresh rosemary to my dogs food has helped with fleas also. I use fresh rosemary and rub it on any irritated areas and that also seems to help not to mention makes him smell great.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Lady D, it might be thyroid. The original Miss Critter would bite at the base of her tail, and the fur was thinning badly there. I put her on a natural thyroid supplement for an unrelated issue and the scratching, biting and thinning fur issues cleared up. I neglected to re-order the pills before running out, and sure enough, it all started again shortly thereafter. I'm keeping a supply on hand from now on. I ordered these: Only Natural Pet Canine Thyroid Wellness for Dogs
Hope this helps!

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I may have started a thread on this subject before but not sure. My son's Shih Tzu Barney just constantly scratches and constantly chews and licks until he has very irritated red bumps. This is at his backside above the base of his tail. I wash him in Head and Shoulders sensitive skin shampoo, it used to keep him clear but something is causing him problems. He has had a cortizone shot, cannot have another one, he is given a Loratadine 10mg every morning for the problem with allergies, on the place that is very irritated I use hydrocortisone spray which has always helped in the past but does not appear to be now. I have picked numerous fleas off of him over the past several weeks but I have only seen maybe 3 on him over the past week and look him over every day, wondering if all these places are flea bites or where he just chews. We have no answers to stop him from itching. I use Frontline on him once a month. Is this just a bad habit of his this chewing and licking of his I wonder. We hate to see him constantly irritated. Thanks.

D I N O V I T E .com

Stuff really seems to work.