• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Head on down to Scenic Gulf Dr - by Whales Tail etc - they rent jet skis during the season.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Don't you mean, "used-to-be Scenic Gulf Drive?" Cannot see much from that road anymore.

TableFiveChef

Beach Lover
Oct 24, 2006
Miramar Beach
No access to launch the jet propelled personal watercraft. Not allowed to do so at Grayton, and that really is the only place you could, other than one of the Coastal Dune Lakes, when the outflow is open, but as mentioned by someone else, no jet propelled engines are allowed on the Dune Lakes.

I guess they didn't really like the idea of falling into 4' deep water at 50 mph.

Looks like they replaced the jet skis rentals with another profitable idea -- target shooting. I kid you not -- every Saturday.

I'm pretty sure you can rent jet skis in Miramar, which is technically in South Walton, but not what most of us refer to as SoWal, being the length of 30A, south of the Bay.

Let me get this straight. Sowal only consists of 30-a? I did not know that. I live in Miramar Beach and this whole time I thought we were in SoWal!!! :dunno:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I certainly consider Miramar Beach and Sandestin area in South Walton. These communities are in Walton County and SOBs (South Of the Bay) :roll: by geography a part of South Walton. I consider Pt. Washington, which is not on 30A, part of SoWal, too. South Walton was in Walton County when it was formed in 1824. Then, South Walton left Walton County in 1825 when Washington County was formed. South Walton was part of Washington County from 1825 until 1913. It returned to Walton County in 1913. Then, that area which has become Destin left Walton County in 1915 when Okaloosa County was made half out of Walton County and Santa Rosa County. Note, no part of Walton County has ever been in Destin. Some areas that are now the incorporated city of Destin, however, were once within the boundaries of Walton. But, Sandestin or Miramar Beach are not part of Destin and have never been. No business in Walton County should use Destin as part of their address.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Let me get this straight. Sowal only consists of 30-a? I did not know that. I live in Miramar Beach and this whole time I thought we were in SoWal!!! :dunno:

No, reread the post, SJ said many of us consider sowal the 30A area. It's just a matter of semantics.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
from the header of this board:

Beaches Of South Walton (SoWal) Forums
Seascape, Miramar Beach, Sandestin, Santa Rosa Beach, Blue Mountain Beach, Grayton Beach, Seaside, WaterColor, Seagrove Beach, WaterSound Beach, Seacrest Beach, Alys Beach, Rosemary Beach, Inlet Beach, Point Washington

thank goodness there's no rental up there anymore.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I think you misread what I said, "Miramar, which is technically in South Walton, but not what most of us refer to as SoWal, being the length of 30A, south of the Bay."

If it's south of the Bay, but on the length of 30A, which would include Pt Washington, most people refer to it as SoWal. Anything west of the outlet mall, is in Walton County, but it is such a different beast over there with the traffic, high rises, rows of beach umbrellas three deep, etc, that the 30A length really stands out as something else, and that is why I don't refer to Miramar as SoWal, even though I recognize it is in WalCo. There are a few regular posters who love that area, and don't like not being included in my idea of SoWal. I think of SoWal as that quiet sleepy place between all of the high rises. I cannot tell the difference between the being in Miramar and Destin.