• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Judging by all of the Chevy Suburbans and Tahoes seen in the area, I wonder if all of you JOE speculators are also GM speculators?

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Nope, I never invested in GM. Joe is the only non mutual fund I have and I figured it would be interesting to test my instincts (I didn't bet my retirement or kids' education on St. Joe's, just enough to make the stock worth watching without shedding too many tears if I'm wrong). It really was reading the book, Green Empire, that inspired me to buy the stock and the book was recommended on this discussion group somewhere about 3 months ago. The book did not by any means recommend getting the stock (they had as many cons as pros in their reading of Joe as an organization, but my reading of the book (and what I saw going on in the Panhandled) made me think it was a good investment, despite the risks. And the book was a good way for me to get a handle on some of the more political issues around development in the Panhandle.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
Although I prefer SoWal real estate as an investment, I own and like the stock. It has been a great performer over the last year and will hopefully continue to perform well.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
gm

What is going on people? With all the Hummers, Suburbans, Avalanches, Cadillac SUVs, and Tahoes around here, why is GM down 40% for the previous 12 mo.? Could the problem have to do with the fact that they also build medium and low price cars in addition to the luxury SUVs? Any thoughts as to what would happen to JOE if they built more Pametto Traces and became known for affordable housing?

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Hmmm... I guess I'll leave it up to Joe to figure out how to use the land and spend their money...

I'd invest more in actual real estate myself in S. Walton, but at this point don't have the $. Not many (any) properties in our price range any more (we bought two places -- one a year ago and one two years ago when the places were quite a bit more affordable). We love the area and hope to someday spend more time there.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
This article is from a new press release I found on Yahoo's news home page.

The St. Joe Company Outlines Vision for ``New Ruralism''
Saturday June 4, 10:48 am ET
JOE Uniquely Positioned to Execute Rural Value-Creation Strategy Designed to Position Inland Acreage for Higher and Better Uses

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 4, 2005--At a real estate editors conference, Peter S. Rummell, chairman and CEO of The St. Joe Company (NYSE:JOE - News) outlined the company's vision for the development of new real estate products based on a concept described as the "New Ruralism." Rummell spoke at the annual meeting of the National Association of Real Estate Editors in Washington, DC.
ADVERTISEMENT

While sharing key principles with New Urbanism, New Ruralism is focused on reestablishing connections with the land that once was at the heart of America's farms, ranches and rural communities. Rummell described New Ruralism as a value creation strategy applicable to potentially tens of thousands of JOE's inland acres that is designed to position them for higher and better uses.

"We believe JOE is uniquely positioned to implement both New Ruralism and New Urbanism strategies on a large scale," said Rummell. "With approximately 850,000 acres concentrated primarily in Northwest Florida, JOE is one of few developers with well-placed land resources suitable for a broad application of both approaches.

"While New Urbanism principles have currently been applied primarily to projects on the 340,000 acres JOE owns within the ten-mile coastal zone, New Ruralism products introduce a line of land offerings ideally suited for our large inland acreage holdings, as well as in select near-coastal locations. JOE has also assembled the broad mix of management skills, ranging from land planners and construction managers to foresters and wildlife biologists, required to implement New Ruralism strategies."

Products developed under the New Urbanism and New Ruralism philosophies are targeted to satisfy the desires of two distinctly different niche markets. While they have common defining characteristics shared by all great places created by JOE, including an emphasis on clear boundaries, authenticity and environmental stewardship, two key differences, beyond setting, distinguish places created under the two strategies.

New Urbanism promotes community through planning that mandates the interaction of neighbors designed to recapture the sense of community that was once the defining characteristic of American small town life. The small home sites and close proximity of homes stimulate a sense of community. In a New Ruralism setting, participation in community activities is more by choice with privacy options carefully preserved. Larger home sites, often separated by nature preserves or agricultural land, provide a buffer between neighbors. Here the front porch is a place to scan the vastness of your domain. The collection of multiple RiverCamps, farms or ranches provides an opportunity for community of like-minded neighbors, but only as desired.

Day-to-day experiences contrast as well. New Urbanism development stresses community connections as one might find in small-town America, while New Ruralism development stresses connections with nature and the land found in rural America. Experiences in the New Urbanism setting are based on planned connections within the community. In contrast, New Ruralism provides a setting where experiences are directly linked to the rhythms of nature: rise with the sun, fish with the tides, and rest with the moon.

"JOE's New Ruralism products are for people seeking a simpler life from a simpler time and wanting to reconnect with the land without the need to make a living from it," said Rummell. "Technology provides a way to reconnect with the world, but at a safe distance."

Currently, JOE is creating and bringing to market three New Ruralism real estate products - RiverCamps, WhiteFence Farms and Florida Ranches - to provide a way for people to reconnect with nature and the land.

RiverCamps

JOE's RiverCamps are planned settlements in rustic settings, offering personal retreats in private preserves. RiverCamps' low-density home sites are sold fee-simple and are surrounded by a large common area preserved for conservation. Two RiverCamps locations are currently being developed with other potential RiverCamps locations in Northwest Florida being evaluated.

RiverCamps on Crooked Creek

JOE's first RiverCamps site is located near one of Northwest Florida's most beautiful bay systems. The site provides boating and fishing with water access to St. Andrews Bay and its creeks, the Intracoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico. Plans call for the sale of home sites and homes. A full menu of owner services, with emphasis on outdoor recreation, is now being developed.

RiverCamps on Crooked Creek, located in Western Bay County, is entitled for up to 450 home sites on approximately 1,500 acres of former timberland and features views of West Bay, the Intracoastal Waterway and Crooked Creek.

"We have seen strong demand and pricing at RiverCamps on Crooked Creek," said Rummell. Home site prices for the most recent release averaged $342,900 and ranged from $174,500 for an interior site to $1 million for a bay-front site.

An increasing number of RiverCamps buyers are coming from outside the local market. Buyers from beyond a 120-mile radius of RiverCamps on Crooked Creek increased from 48 percent for RiverCamps' first release in 2003 to 60 percent for the second release in 2004, and to 70 percent for the third release in the first quarter of 2005.

RiverCamps on Sandy Creek

RiverCamps on Sandy Creek features views of Sandy Creek and Little Sandy Creek and access to East Bay in eastern Bay County. Pending the receipt of land-use approvals and environmental permits, sales are planned for RiverCamps on Sandy Creek in 2006 or 2007.

WhiteFence Farms

JOE's WhiteFence Farms, formerly called farmsteads, are large home sites with room for a variety of outdoor activities. To be developed in a number of locations in Northwest Florida, WhiteFence Farms are being designed to feel 'old farm and equestrian.' Each farm site includes a home site for a main farmhouse along with sites for other optional buildings such as barns, guest houses and stables.

Predevelopment planning started in the first quarter of 2005 at the first location near Tallahassee. It is expected to total approximately 1,000 acres with each individual farm site consisting of 5 to 20 acres. Initial pricing is now expected to range from $20,000 to $75,000 per acre for a typical farm site. Sales of WhiteFence Farms are expected to begin in 2006.

Florida Ranches

Predevelopment planning started in early 2005 on the initial Florida Ranch properties in several locations in Northwest Florida. Florida Ranches are expected to consist of 50 to 150-acre sites located within a 1,000 to 3,000-acre community. Florida Ranches are being designed primarily as second-homes for outdoor enthusiasts.

Florida Ranches are being planned to offer a wide range of recreational opportunities, with some shared sporting areas. Many may be on or near rivers and land suited for wildlife habitation. Improvements include clearing, fencing, road stabilization and entry features.

Initial pricing for Florida Ranch parcels is expected to range from $4,500 to $10,000 per acre, and sales are expected to begin in 2006.

About JOE

The St. Joe Company, a publicly held company based in Jacksonville, is one of Florida's largest real estate operating companies. It is engaged in town, resort, commercial and industrial development, land sales and commercial real estate services. JOE also has significant interests in timber.

More information about JOE and our approach to New Ruralism can be found at our web site at http://www.joe.com.

Forward-Looking Statements

Statements in this press release that are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward looking statements involve risk and uncertainty, and there can be no assurance that the results described in such statements will be realized. Such statements are based on current expectations and we undertake no obligation to publicly update or reissue any forward-looking statements. Risk factors that may cause our actual results to differ are described in various documents we file with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2004.

Copyright 2005, The St. Joe Company. "JOE," "RiverCamps," "St. Joe," "WhiteFence Farms," and the "taking flight" design are service marks of The St. Joe Company.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The St. Joe Company, Jacksonville
Media Contact:
Jerry M. Ray, 904-301-4430
jray@joe.com
or
Investor Contact:
Brad Slappey, 904-301-4302
bslappey@joe.com

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I am beginning to think that we need an investment forum. I feel like I am in a stock chat room.

My tip: buy low, sell high.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Paula - thanks for posting.

I think they have a brilliant concept and there will be a lot of demand for the larger parcels.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
I think an investment group would be good and I really like that recipe discussion (should be a sticky if it isn't already -- I have a great easy recipe for crockpot gumbo that's very handy if you want to go to the beach and come home to a nice easy dinner -- will post on the recipe thread as soon as I get a chance to find it).

As for St. Joe, I think they need to shape retirees'/middle class views of vacation homes and they may do it with their river camps and other ideas, especially since ocean front properties are getting scarcer and priced out of so many people's price range. Since Joe's CEO is a former DIsney exec., my guess is he's pretty good at shaping people's vision of the good life. If there are lakes or rivers near the properties they're developing inland, then I think Joe's ideas are even more marketable.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
I just looked at some reports on Schwab's website on Joe. Interestingly, one of the reports said that there was unfavorable inside activity. I assume they meant the buy/sell activity of the top executives and board, which they listed for the past several years. I really couldn't tell if it was a problem -- there was some selling of stock, including the CEO's stock, yet there was some buying as well. I'd have to compare the activity of Joe's sr. people to that of other companies. Also, Greenspan cautioned of a housing bubble. And this is supposed to be an above average hurricane season.

Any thoughts (or is there anyone who has access to company analyses and can assess the insider buy/sells and explain what the problem, if any, is?)? I'm still keeping my JOE stock and may still increase it a little. It's not enough to make or break my future although it will pay some of the kids' college education if it does well, and if it doesn't I'll keep working an extra year or two and just won't get to spend as much time in S. Walton as soon as I had hoped!

Again, any finance whizzes out there who have access to and can assess investment reports?