• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Sueshore said:
THANKS...I couldn't even type after I read that!

Me neither. I had to sit back and take a deep breath before I could type my response. Makes you realize that there will always be those who, no matter how many training materials, signs, etc. are available, will always feel that these things don't pertain to them. :bang:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
reece said:
hi
i'd just like to clarify a couple of things because i don't want you to misunderstand me. i love grayton and yes, i'm a tourist when i visit.
but i do follow the rules and try to leave nature just as i found it.
we usually rent the walker house, and don't use the path through the dunes to get to the beach - we do use the public beach access by t-time. Occassionally on a walk, alone, enjoying the beautiful scenary, i have walked through that dune area(not on the dune, but in between them) -i did not intentionally mean to be breaking any rules, as i personally thought that "stay of the dunes" sign meant to stay off of the actual mound. It was only through reading this thread that I learned differently.

I'm not offended that the locals want to preserve the beauty of the area - i think it's great. I think that that type of love of nature and care for the community is what may possibly keep grayton from becoming, say, the next Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. I remember going to Gulf Shores as a child and seeing hundred's of sand dunes. my father taught us not to climb them and not to pick the sea oats. unfortunately, it didn't matter in the end because huge condos went up where the dunes once were. :sosad:

anyway - please don't label me as a tourist that doesn't care. I really do, I was just wrong in assuming it was ok to walk between the dunes.

reece

Reece, I don't think you would have asked the question if you did not care. I probably stepped on your toes a little too much and I am sorry for "flaming" you.

We need more confessions. Fess up people, I know you are out there. Just kidding. Anyone willing to say they unknowingly did damage in the past are the very ones who are helping educate others today. Thanks to all who share the knowledge.:lol:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
luvthebeach said:
Excuse me for being so blunt, but that is one of the dumbest comments I've ever seen on any of these threads.

We always welcome visitors, guests, etc., to the area, but we'd rather have folks with your attitude stay home. ...

Unless you change your attitude, for the sake of all who enjoy the beauty of South Walton beaches and the awesome dunes....PLEASE STAY AWAY!! :bang:
Rather, move away from SoWal and please take your geodunes with you.
:evil::pissed::evil:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks for that comment about how tall the dunes were back in the 1960s, when we had a long spell of no hurricane action. I recall the dunes seemed towering and I know I wasn't that much shorter then! The dunes were also covered with sea oats, which people picked for their houses until they were practically all gone. We didn't walk on the dunes back then because they were so big that you couldn't get up there. I have a very old etching of the Grayton Beach "Butler's Store," now The Red Bar in which the old store is surrounded by big dunes on three sides. The etching was done from an old black-and-white photograph.

I have been dismayed to see children stomping on the edge of dunes and riding the broken sand down to the base of the dune, sliding down dunes on trash can lids, and generally creating mayhem. Sometimes children are polite and cooperate when you ask them not to do these things, but too often they come back with a smart mouth retort. I have always thought that Southern children were better mannered than any I've ever met elsewhere, but it isn't universal. Not that children are the only culprits. We sit on our deck and watch posses of people tromp from The Red Bar straight through the dunes by Bullard House en route to the beach. And sometimes we have seen vehicles attempt to drive up hear the house! I had not thought about lifeguards to safeguard the beaches and the dunes. But this isn't a bad idea, because no one else seems to be patrolling the beaches.

If someone could prepare a little brochure about dune protection, I'll bet everyone would post these at their houses for visitors. If we can advertise beach chairs and pizza delivery, we can certainly ask our visitors to save the beaches and other natural areas for future generations.

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
EZ4144 said:
If you ask people to come visit the beach and spend lots of money there going to get down on the beach anyway thay can and if everyone else is cutting through the dunes why not? Maybe if there are no public walkovers the beaches should be closed. Or fix the dunes later.
I don't want to be rude but if you know you should not be cutting through the dunes, why do it? you really should respect and follow the rules.....be a leader, don't follow the stupid people :nono1:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Rather, move away from SoWal and please take your geodunes with you.
:evil::pissed::evil:

BINGO!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
seagrovelover said:
I don't want to be rude but if you know you should not be cutting through the dunes, why do it? you really should respect and follow the rules.....be a leader, don't follow the stupid people :nono1:
EZ4414 is a leader. Didn't you see the geo dunes?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I just read the post by EZ4144- and since I have had a couple glasses of wine, I can only sum up his comments with a "YUCK" and and "EWWWW"!!!And I'm with the rest of y'all- let's hope that person stays away.

Just for fun, I'm going to ask my civil engineer husband his opinion about geodunes. I haven't been to engineering school, but just from osmosis, I'm not getting a good feeling from these things. Geodunes remind me of giant bubblewrap.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P8080005.JPG

Some people have discovered new uses for baby geo dunes. Who would have ever thought that Western Lake would one day become a lazy river?
I hear that EZ4414 will be charging for rides on his, or charging people to walk across it.;-)