• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jenn Boyd

Beach Crab
Jan 4, 2006
I'm very sorry to hear the news about the Lake Place. My heart goes out to Jim and his staff members for their loss. Our community is definitely feeling the loss of this great little treasure of a restaurant. Thanks for some of the best meals and most memorable evenings I've had since living in Florida.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Jenn Boyd said:
I'm very sorry to hear the news about the Lake Place. My heart goes out to Jim and his staff members for their loss. Our community is definitely feeling the loss of this great little treasure of a restaurant. Thanks for some of the best meals and most memorable evenings I've had since living in Florida.

:welcome:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I keep hoping to hear some news about rebuilding here. Has anyone heard some encouraging words?

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wow. First Nick's, then the Wheelhouse, now Lake Place. Considering the number of restaurants along 30-A, this is a pretty significant percentage that have been total losses due to fire.

If I were Oli Petit, I would be installing sprinkler systems yesterday.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
From Walton Sun

Red and orange flames stretched into the black night sky above The Lake Place restaurant as it was all but destroyed by a fire early Wednesday morning.
When emergency crews arrived at one of South Walton's most recognizable restaurants the fire had eaten through most of the building and the inferno was shooting approximately 30 feet in the air, according to neighbor Ed Goodwin.
The fire was reported at 2:35 a.m. Fire crews arrived at 5960 County Road 30A three minutes later and found the structure was fully ablaze, said District Chief Marc Anderson of the South Walton Fire District.
Fire Marshal Sammy Sanchez said the cause of the fire was electrical.
"We had the fire knocked down in 15 minutes and extinguished in an hour and a half," SWFD Deputy Chief Sean Hughes said.
When a fire is knocked down it means the main visible flames are out, Hughes said.
"Fires like that in the middle of the night usually get ahead start on us so by the time we get there it's pretty involved," Anderson said.
Owner Jim Richard said he has to look at his insurance coverage before he decides whether to rebuild.
By the time Goodwin grabbed his camera and ran over to the restaurant in the middle of night it was engulfed in flames.
"We lost another landmark," Goodwin said. "We lost two in the storms and now this one."
SWFD had two engines, two trucks, one squad and a rescue team at the fire. A total of 18 SWFD personal took part.
The roof was compromised during the blaze but did not collapse. SWFD took a defensive approach and fought the fire from the outside only because no one was inside.
"We didn't want to risk personal going inside with the roof weakened," Hughes said.
"The guys did an excellent job to put out that big of a fire in a short time."

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
I was told he will rebuild! YAY! :clap_1:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
scrltbegonya said:
I was told he will rebuild! YAY! :clap_1:

Oh, thank you....I so hope this is true!!!!

groveral

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
birmingham
Lake Place

does anyone have any info on Lake Place? Will they reopen soon? Thanks, coming down in a couple of weeks---and hoping!