• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Anyone who has ever fished off the PCB pier and saw the amount of sharks (good size ones), and how close to the shore they are, would probably never go swimming in the Gulf again if they were a tourist.

Can you really see sharks that easily from the pier? If I were to take my lunch and sit on the pier some day, would I see them? Would it be better to take my donut at dawn since they tend to be out more often at dawn and dusk? I'm quite curious.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Cil: Looks like you and I have a lot in common, including being early birds! I may take a trip to the Panama City Pier in the fall when I'm there to see what I can see from the pier. I'm glad we have a nice pool and we just use the ocean for wading very near the shore and the beach for playing.

MJnSeagrove

Beach Comber
Dec 28, 2005
Shark report,

On Thursday I was fishing in the gulf at Eastern Lake using a nice size live bait that was caught from the lake. About 4:30 my rod with 40# test bent over. By the time I pulled it from the rod holder the line was broken off at the steel leader. Less than 5 minutes later a surfer (no surf, why were they there) came up to tell me they seen 3 sharks. I quote from the surfer "1 about 3-4 feet, another bigger than that, and one about 7ft + feet. "

I know which one got my line. 3 minutes later, about 30 yards from shore we saw the shark circle for about a minute. An older lady, tourist, TOLD me "I hope you aren't fishing for sharks." I told her I fish using live bait and the surfers splashing around attract more sharks than my live bait. Which is true and as true as SHARKS are out there, but more times than not they leave us alone.

Kickball Sunday....I'm bringing at least 4!

Sea J

Beach Comber
Apr 2, 2007
Here is a pic of the shark. It was caught from the shore. The only boat we had a was a kayak to run the bait out.

1157502197_lSmall.jpg

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Here is a pic of the shark. It was caught from the shore. The only boat we had a was a kayak to run the bait out.

1157502197_lSmall.jpg

:eek: When??????

Last edited:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Were you shark fishing? We use to fish for shark from the beack a long time ago. Back when there was alot less people around. We would run the "bait out" on a surfboard and use rods like in your pic....

1157502197_lSmall.jpg

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The flaw in the internet, is that website info is not archived in perma-links, so we will have no sources at some point in history. The orginal link which I posted had picture and video. :bang:

Last edited:

Sea J

Beach Comber
Apr 2, 2007
The flaw in the internet, is that website info is not archived in perma-links, so we will have no sources at some point in history. The orginal link which I posted had picture and video. :bang:

Well. thats it. Thats the shark. Took 4 of us to get it in. It was caught, sept 11 2006 @ 145AM over here in panama. I have still video recording of us on the TV, telling bout it. The lines was run out in between the sand bars. So that thing was swimming right on the beach pretty much.

Thats not the only one either, bout 3 years ago, Doug Eldridge caught an 11 ft mako off the concrete pier over here.